First Flat Iron/Straightening Prep? (Natural Hair)

Crystalicequeen123

Hey Ladies! :grin:

I always promised myself that 2 years into my natural hair journey I would treat myself and get my hair professionally straightened w/heat. I've ALWAYS been very nervous about heat straightening (even when relaxed), and I definitely WANT my hair to revert back to it's natural kinkyness. :giggle:

This Friday I'm getting my hair straightened at a Dominican salon in my area. I'm scared.... :hide:

So MY question is.... Natural Ladies who have straightened for the first time...

-Did you do any prep work beforehand (ie. Protein treatments, deep conditioning, etc) in order to make the process go easier and to minimize any heat damage?

-What tips should I keep in mind?

-What things should I NOT do before getting my hair straightened w/heat?

ANY info (even from ladies who aren't natural) would be greatly appreciated!! :grin:

yuhlovevybz

Don't go to the Dominicans. It took me years to grow out damage. And scalp scabs aren't fun either. :nono:

My hair comes out with great body and softness as long as I:

1) clarify
2) DC with MOISTURE. Not protien. Moisture provides slip when blow frying, no leave in necessary. Leave in elongates the time it'll take to get your hair fully dry.
3) dry completely with blow dryer. It's probably the most important step when avoiding heat damage, especially at the roots; ouch! When your flat iron touches water, it fries whatever element is in between. Took me forever to chop off that heat damage too!
4) flat iron with cones. Some people used water based heat protectant, you gotta try it to know what works, but it didn't work well for me. See 3 as to why. I use the Victoria secret serum or beyond the zone heat protectant. Being Heavy handed with these doesn't hurt because hair tends to eat it and they're very light. I use either a flat iron comb or fine tooth comb, section by section removing my hair from a bun on top of my head from nape to crown.

Edit: the most important thing is after care. Hot oil treatments, protien and ceramides. And again I can only stress, hair should be well hydrated before hot torching. Hth!

Last edited:

naturalagain2

I would DC well before going. I also would make sure that if you go in there with a natural style (like twistout, braid out, natural bun, etc) that you detangle your hair WELL before going. You don't want them to be ripping through your hair to get tangles out before they wash your hair or after for that matter.

Napp

Ms. Nobody
For a first time straigtening i would recommend to do it yourself. The dominicans are merciless with the heat and not open to changing their technique or temperatures for your hair.

Do a test section to see how how you need to set the iron. If you are scared of heat damage try rollersetting instead of blowdrying. That way you can use less heat.

cleanse hair and do a deep treatment before hand. I would recommend a deep conditioner that rinses clean(no residue) i actually found i can get away with cowashing instead of shampooing before straightening.

Try not to go over 2 passses unless its needed. If you have a good technique 1-2 passes will get it straight.

Last edited:

Victoria44

I would also suggest doing it yourself, unless you have no problem giving very specific directions to the stylist, like what flat iron temp your comfortable at, telling her to be gentle if she's ripping through your hair etc..

Do a strong protein treatment before hand, followed by a good deep conditioning.

Go there fully detangled

Leeda.the.Paladin

Do it yourself. I'm so scared to let a stylist near my hair at all, never mind with heat styling tools.

I know you want it to be a treat, but this could be a treat that your hair never recovers from.

LuvlyRain3

Make sure your hair is detangled well. This was the most important step for me this time around. Make sure that your protein/moisture balance is straight. If you have glycerin free dcs and moisturizers, use them.Use a chaser comb. Use good heat protectant.Follow up with a silk wrap.

Crystalicequeen123

I use westNDNbeauty's deep conditioning method. I'll try to find the thread.

ETA: Here ya go. http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=431336

Don't go to the Dominicans. It took me years to grow out damage. And scalp scabs aren't fun either. :nono:

My hair comes out with great body and softness as long as I:

1) clarify
2) DC with MOISTURE. Not protien. Moisture provides slip when blow frying, no leave in necessary. Leave in elongates the time it'll take to get your hair fully dry.
3) dry completely with blow dryer. It's probably the most important step when avoiding heat damage, especially at the roots; ouch! When your flat iron touches water, it fries whatever element is in between. Took me forever to chop off that heat damage too!
4) flat iron with cones. Some people used water based heat protectant, you gotta try it to know what works, but it didn't work well for me. See 3 as to why. I use the Victoria secret serum or beyond the zone heat protectant. Being Heavy handed with these doesn't hurt because hair tends to eat it and they're very light. I use either a flat iron comb or fine tooth comb, section by section removing my hair from a bun on top of my head from nape to crown.

Edit: the most important thing is after care. Hot oil treatments, protien and ceramides. And again I can only stress, hair should be well hydrated before hot torching. Hth!

I would also suggest doing it yourself, unless you have no problem giving very specific directions to the stylist, like what flat iron temp your comfortable at, telling her to be gentle if she's ripping through your hair etc..

Do a strong protein treatment before hand, followed by a good deep conditioning.

Go there fully detangled

Thanks for the advice and input guys! :yep:

I'm going to try to do a deep treatment tomorrow and somehow I'm going to detangle my hair as well so that it's not too hard to manage on Friday. How do you guys wear your hair when u go to the salon? What style keeps your hair detangled?

I'm also getting a little worried about going to the salon to get my hair straightened now that I read some of the responses lol :look:

Has anyone had a good experience going to the salon to get their hair straightened? :look:

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy using LHCF App

Mystic

My hair was so thick when I was natural and one visit to the Dominican salon changed the appearance of my strands. I also had heat damage so if I were you, I'd straighten the hair at home.

Allandra

Do it yourself. I'm so scared to let a stylist near my hair at all, never mind with heat styling tools.

I know you want it to be a treat, but this could be a treat that your hair never recovers from.
What she said right here^^.

@
Crystalicequeen123 Since you're scared about it, that's telling you something right there.

Last edited:

BlackDiamond21

I was a Dominican salon-ista for over 6+ years while I was relaxed and the way I kept retention was NEVER letting them blow out my hair. I did one time and yes it was pretty (I had BSL hair) but they FRIED my ends something fierce!!! Trust us when we tell you that a Dominican salon is not the place to straighten your beautiful tresses. I would recommend, if you don't want to do it yourself, a black hair salon that specializes in natural hair or a natural hair stylist. They have a much better understanding of what our hair can take and what it can't. Good luck!!!

tiffjust2002

I went to a Dominican salon once in L.A. and I will never go back! Their level of heat is crazy! My experience was they washed me, conditioned me, did a roller set and sat me under this dryer that gradually got hotter and hotter until it felt like my scalp was on fire for an hour. I had to tell her to turn it down cause I couldn't handle the heat. Then after that she took me from under the dryer and took the rollers out and then blew out my roots with the HOTTEST hand blow dryer I've ever felt in my life.

My hair looked amazing when it was all said and done.......................for about a good 3 hours and then it poufed up :nono: and that was that :ohwell:

So in a nut shell all that heat for nothing! My flat iron that I do myself last a good week and maybe two if I'm too lazy to wash, that crap didn't even last a day!

Needless to say I flat iron my own hair now :grin:

yuhlovevybz

Their blow fryer is dreadful. I'm not tender headed but I teared up it was so painful. Then I formed scabs all over my scalp. Plus my hair smelted burnt every time water touched it for the next couple months!!!

ScorpioBeauty09

Do you have to go to a Dominican salon? When I get my hair flat ironed it's almost always done at a salon but never a Dominican salon. I always wash, DC, rinse then blow dry before I go so all the stylist has to do is flat iron. I've never had a problem with heat damage and my hair reverts pretty easily.

Stormy

Dominican salon?! Yeah, I can see why you're scared! I've never used them and don't plan to because I've seen the damage from other people I know. I agree with either doing it yourself, or finding a natural salon, or a salon with stylists who really specialize in natural hair and straightening it. I don't know where you live, but I know a few here in Atlanta and I've heard of some of their techniques and have seen great results that last for weeks! If you're not in Atlanta I can at least tell you what to look for in your area.

If you decide to do it yourself... not sure what your hair type is (couldn't find it in your Fotki or profile), but I'm 4b and I've learned from my mistakes back in '09. I'm almost a pro now. :grin: Now, usually I'm coming out of twists or braids when I straighten mine, but this is what I do...

1. Deep Deep condition! More like a pre-poo. I use V05 conditioner and coat my hair from root to tip very good. In fact, I nearly use the whole bottle. Then I put a shower cap on and let it sit for about an hour. You can leave it on for less time if you want depending on how thick your hair is and the tangles, but I usually start doing something around the house, read a book, jump on the hair board :yep: or something to pass the time.

2. I shampoo using either my Trader Joe's or Giovanni shampoo. I also have Paul Mitchell somewhere in my cabinet. Anyone of these work for me.

3. Condition with one of the above brand conditioners. I only leave it on this time for whatever the directions say. I comb it through my hair too and rinse.

4. I gently towel dry, then I put just a little (and I do mean little) oil on my hair; such as coconut/olive oil mix. Then air dry by putting my hair in about six afro puffs to stretch the hair. Sometimes if I don't have time to let it dry this way then I'll get under my bonnet dryer or do a roller set and get under the dryer. I'm not a big fan of the blow dryer.

5. Once dry, I take down each section at a time, use a serum (any good straightening one, but Mizani works best for me) on each section, gently comb from the bottom up to remove any tangles left. Then, I either use my flat iron or electric pressing comb to straighten. I prefer the straightening comb because it seems like it does a better job for me.

And that's it! Sounds like a long process, but it really isn't too bad. I'd say the pre-poo is what takes the longest. The straightening and styling takes much less than an hour.

One last note... I used to put the serum on when my hair was wet, but along with the oil it would take waaaay too long for my hair to dry. The less product you can put on your hair when you air dry the quicker it will dry.

HTH!

Last edited: