Flat Buns

mrslee

Love yourself first!
I see some lovely buns floating around in several albums. I was wondering why does my bun look flat and small. How do you achieve a full bun? I thought my hair was long enough to do a nice bun, but then again maybe it isnt. How long should ones hair be, before you can do a nice bun, or does it depends on how thick the hair is?

InsertCleverNameHere

My hair isn't thick and I had to compensate for my scrawny bun. There are a few ways. For one, loose buns are a god send, if your hair isn't very thick and you twist your hair around too tightly, your bun will just look anorexic. Just twist with a light hand and use more bobby pins (since more hair will attempt to fall out with a loose bun). Also, wear a donut under your bun. You can buy one at hair shop and I made mine out of 2 pairs of tights (because I wanted mine to be bigger). Another trick for me is putting my bun higher up on my head. My hair is thicker further up my head so sometimes I opt for a high bun instead of a low one. HTH

Wolftrap

You will probably just need to put a filler in your bun. Look in my album and see how mine looks. I have really thin hair and have to use a filler and I know some other ladies on the board use them too.

SouthernGirl

Hi Mrslee,

Your hair is definitely long enough to not have a flat bun, but it depends on what type of bun you're making. If you do the type where you put your hair in a ponytail then seperate the hair and pin with bobby pins (like LorraineG and I do), it should be full.
If you do the other kind where you twist the hair into what looks like a cinamon roll, it may be flat. In either case, if you do the bun while the hair has been air-dried after washing, it'll be fluffier.
SG

AudraChanell

I always air dry my hair when I plan to wear a bun. I am left with with a huge mass of hair to bun at that point /images/graemlins/clap.gif. Otherwise, it looks puny and I don't want to add to it /images/graemlins/wallbash.gif. I too use bobby pins.

mrslee

Love yourself first!
Thanks Ladies! That may be my problem, I was twisting my hair. I will try you and LorraineG way and see what happens.

sengschick

The Bun Master
It's all about the holder. I think my hair is thick until I put it in a ponytail holder then I'm disappointed. I'm used to my buns being really big so a normal sized is a disappointment. If you can find Southergirl's holder or the hair comb I use (see album), your bun will look fuller. LorraineG uses a regular elastic, but I can't get those to work like I like.

As far as length, I consider my hair medium length and I can make wonderful buns. It's b/c my hair isn't being held in a tight holder, it's actually on the loose side so I can play by making sections braids, twists, etc w/the hair before I tuck the ends away.