Flat iron instead of relaxing?

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
Can you transition using a flat iron?
You sure can. I transitioned by flat ironing.

If so, how much time might it buy you before you had to BC the relaxed ends?
You don't ever have to bc if you don't want to. I transitioned for approx. 3 years by gradually trimming the relaxer off.

Is the heat from a flat iron any more damaging to your hair than relaxing?
Yes, I think heat can be just as damaging as relaxing but only if done improperly and too frequently.

How often do you need to flat iron to maintain reasonably smooth roots/combability?
In the past I used to flat iron every two weeks w/o having to touch up in-between and my hair was healthy.

Do you have to blow dry first (I hate blow drying)?
No, I hate blow drying too. You can band you hair which is what I do and I have a tutorial in my album, or you can wet wrap it, braid it, roller set it and sit under the dryer then flat iron.

JewelleNY

Hi Blu:) ,

Just to let you know, I am past BSL and I am transitioning without the big chop. I actually started out by stretching my relaxers and learning how to manage the new groth slowly instead of jumping right in. I've realized that initially it will seem difficult and the hair texture will be challenging but, for me, it has become easier and easier as I go along. Sylver2 has a great tuturial in her fotki for stretching relaxers, it has helped me tremendously:D

Good luck with whatever you decide to do, your hair will be gorgeous either way;)

MrsHouston

DDtexlaxd said:
I wish I could find the right flat iron to get my hair strait.:ohwell:

I would like a new flat iron too; just unsure which one is best. Everyone on this board recommend so many good ones, choosing is hard.

Blu217

Thank you to everyone so far; I'm feeling more reassured and announced with great trepidation to my mom this afternoon that I'm gonna lay off the relaxing now, period. That's the right thing, but my limited experience managing my stretches does not fill me with confidence--gotta learn. Ack! LynnieB, that info is invaluable to me. Thank you, thank you!

msdeevee

I wish you the best in your transition. I feel that if I had any indication of anything like any type of alopecia coming for me I would immeidately stop the relaxing. I know at least 2 women with some tiype of traction alopecia and they have worked for years to re-grow that hair whichis nearly impossible and if any fuzz does start to grow it's very fragile. Please do internet search and research relaxers. I feel that flat-ironing where you can control the heat and using a good heat protectant is much less harmful than putting lye on already balding spots. I went to a natural hair seminar this past weekend and I decided to buy a Maxi-glide to try flat-ironing for myself. Your too cute to be bald and having to start wearing a wig cause of the alopecia . I found Barry Fletchers book "why are black women losing their hair " very informative he goes into all types of styling techniques including relaxers which he is not against , he is agains the improper use of them. I bc' my hair 2 1/2 years ago cause my hair was thinning on the top after surgery but I have thick healthy hair now and I'm happy , I don't do much heat styling but I will try the Maxi-glide with John Friedas Wind Down creme as a heat protectant cause I like all different styles and then after that I'll do a wet-set with flexi-rods but never lye again . I don't want to wear wigs when I'm in my 60's and older. I'm posting a pic of my hair cause I know some don't want to take advice from someone who don't show a pic.

JewelleNY

msdeevee said:
I wish you the best in your transition. I feel that if I had any indication of anything like any type of alopecia coming for me I would immeidately stop the relaxing. I know at least 2 women with some tiype of traction alopecia and they have worked for years to re-grow that hair whichis nearly impossible and if any fuzz does start to grow it's very fragile. Please do internet search and research relaxers. I feel that flat-ironing where you can control the heat and using a good heat protectant is much less harmful than putting lye on already balding spots. I went to a natural hair seminar this past weekend and I decided to buy a Maxi-glide to try flat-ironing for myself. Your too cute to be bald and having to start wearing a wig cause of the alopecia . I found Barry Fletchers book "why are black women losing their hair " very informative he goes into all types of styling techniques including relaxers which he is not against , he is agains the improper use of them. I bc' my hair 2 1/2 years ago cause my hair was thinning on the top after surgery but I have thick healthy hair now and I'm happy , I don't do much heat styling but I will try the Maxi-glide with John Friedas Wind Down creme as a heat protectant cause I like all different styles and then after that I'll do a wet-set with flexi-rods but never lye again . I don't want to wear wigs when I'm in my 60's and older. I'm posting a pic of my hair cause I know some don't want to take advice from someone who don't show a pic.
Wow:eek: :eek: :eek: That is some gorgeous hair:D

msdeevee

Oh thank u Jewell, yours is beautiful too. I was trying to edit my post for typos and to add that my hair is stretched down like that cause I banded it after washing but if I had it straightened it would be a little past shoulder length and no more thinning on the top.

ChocoKitty

bmoreflyygirl said:
ChocoKitty you can always just rollerset and then flat iron your hair as needed.

Great advice, Bmore! ;) But these days I don't get too concerned about my hair being perfectly straight since I'm natural. I let it do what it do sometimes. Which might mean wavy roots and a straight ponytail.:perplexed :lol: Nonetheless--excellent advice for transitioners!:D