Flat Iron only

toinette

Tricking the president
is there anyone here who flat irons once a week and doesnt find it damaging? this friday i washed and conditioned my hair. I usually blow dry and flat iron, or roller set and blow dry the roots. anyways, on friday i just didnt feel up to it so i put some Salerm and serum in my hair and called it a night. on Saturday, my hair was dry so i just decided to flat iron my hair and it came out great, just like it does when i blow dry and flat iron. i lost less hair than when i roller set cuz i wasnt manipulating wet hair. i was thinking that i could rollerset one week and flat iron the next. does this seem healthy or is it gonna bite me in the butt later on?

KAT25

I do and so far so good. I don't find it damaging I thinks my hair likes heat :look: it just seems to feel and look better when I use heat on it. Nothing else I do to my hair makes it looks good until I use heat. I normally air dry and flat iron once a week and sometimes twice.

netnet26

Well..... I Blow dry and flat iron my hair once a week...and I find it to be less damaging......when I deal w/ my hair wet and try to comb it or put bantu knots in it....it breaks my hair even more than when I blow dry! I think you can use heat as long as it is to a minimum...like every day or more then three times a week is entirely tooo much and if your hair is very damaged I would avoid it completely!!:yep:

Ult. Goal: WL ( By my 30th B-Day.....4 yrs)

Well, okay,, I only flat iron each week,, and im not gonna say its not at least somewhat damaging but since ive been doing this since late 2005 ive learned quite a bit,,,,,, one important thing is to be sure that you are ironing on well moisturized hair,,, for me that means air drying in braids rather than just a ponytail or bun,, i get major moisture that way,, also heat protectant and , I recently discovered ( partly cuz of the braiding air drying) that i dont need to iron the ends! they straighten out all on their own with just a little curl towards the end...( i am natural btw) so just a month or so ago i quit ironing the ends,,, i know this will have major benefits in the long run... I also agree that blow drying is "dangerous" i just cat imaginethat ripping a round brush thru the hair isnt breaking it,, i used to get blowouts done by a Russian ( she did the same job as Dominicans) and my hair was in deplorable condition, im sure partly due to the blowouts and I NEVER ever brush or even comb wet hair LOL, i read everywhere that hair is most fragile when wet so my hair is simply braided and out away when wet,, thats what scares me about rollersets ,, all that wet combing... and of course when blowing hair out you are ripping thru it wet:spinning:, it scares me,,, although im sure its fine for some ppls hair, i dunno... i think the one step process of SAFE flat ironing with a good iron is healthy.. hth

Shaniquah

Raven is right - make sure your hair is well moisturized. I would rollerset my hair or blow dry on low heat, then flat iron. But one thing I notice is if my hair isn't well moisturized (mainly the ends) they tend to get ugly after a while, resulting in a 1-2 inch trimming...:perplexed

mzcris

The weeks that I flat iron I normally run the flat iron only once thru my hair then I wrap my hair with saran wrap and get under the dryer for about 10 minutes or so...and my hair turns out soft, smooth and straight. So there is no damage when I flat iron my hair...

When I do flat iron it is usually done after I've washed and cond my hair...I let my hair air dry and make sure it is moisturized and I use a heat protector spray before I flat iron...I think my hair likes heat...but I still do rollersets from time to time...

TLC1020

I flat iron my hair once a week after I shampoo and deep condition with no problems.....

Mook's hair

I used to do this. Once a week after deep conditioning and didn't notice damage.

I only noticed damage when I used to Flat iron twice between washes.

As long as I Deep conditioned before flat ironing, I was always fine.

almondjoi85

I'm thinking flat ironing once a week isn't bad. IF you use a low setting and don't over do it by running over the same area over and over again. I used to do this and I did not notice more breakage. The only thing I did notice was that my hair did not remain as straight as it does when I get a rollerset, so I would end up with a bun by the end of the week because I didn't wanna keep adding heat throughout the week.

Artemis

I'm thinking flat ironing once a week isn't bad. IF you use a low setting and don't over do it by running over the same area over and over again. I used to do this and I did not notice more breakage. The only thing I did notice was that my hair did not remain as straight as it does when I get a rollerset, so I would end up with a bun by the end of the week because I didn't wanna keep adding heat throughout the week.

What she said :cool:

DayStar

i rollerset and flat iron, the purpose of me rollersetting is just to straighten my ends, nothing else. I then flat iron my hair, excluding my ends. I get great body!

ajoyfuljoy

I rollerset and either airdry or sit under dryer and then I flat iron my ends with no problem.

HTH, I couldn't flat iron every week, my hair was doing O.K. when I did that, but I get my hair straighter, have more body and my hair is more happier with a rollerset. Plus it holds my style way better.

I could stand in 40 m.p.h. winds and practically shake my hair back into place! For real!