Flat Iron users: How many passes??

How many passes with the flat iron & at what temperature?

• 1 pass and temp 200-300

Votes: 16 7.7%
  • 1 pass & temp 301+

Votes: 13 6.2%
  • 1 pass & temp 350+

Votes: 38 18.2%
  • 2 passes & temp 200-300

Votes: 20 9.6%
  • 2 passes & temp 301+

Votes: 28 13.4%
  • 2 passes & temp 350+

Votes: 62 29.7%
  • 3 + passes & temp 200-300

Votes: 11 5.3%
  • 3+ passes & temp 301+

Votes: 2 1.0%
  • 3+ passes & temp 350+

Votes: 10 4.8%
  • Other - please explain

Votes: 9 4.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

RubyWoo

Hey all!
1. For those of you that flat iron, how many times do you pass each section of hair with the flat iron?

2. What temperature are flat ironing at?

3. Also, have you sustained any damage when passing each section more than once?

My last flat iron came out okay (it gets straight) but not as sleek as I would've liked. And I always get the same results. It doesn't come out with high shine and silkiness like I see on others (ex. Mskibi's hair when Reniece does it). Now, since I tend to be paranoid about damage when using heat, I only pass one time. I tried flat ironing a section of hair w/three passes and it got really sleek and smooth w/each pass. I suspect that I would get smoother and sleeker results if I pass more than once. I also had the heat at about 325 on my FHI.

I get sleeker, smother results with roller setting. I just can't seem to get salon quality results with a flat iron like I can with roller set and wrap. I just want to get comparable results with a flat iron. All responses would be greatly appreciated! TIA!

ETA: Also, with respect to my technique, I deep condition, I also apply leave-in and heat protectant on wet hair, air dry in 8 braids/plaits and then proceed to flat iron.

Last edited:

Esq.2B

I don't use flatirons but I'm curious because I might start using flatirons on my roots deeper into my relaxer stretch. :grin: Also, you might want to ask what temp they use the iron on as well b/c a person who uses a higher temp might pass it over their hair less times than a person who uses a lower temp.

*Patiently awaits responses.* :grin:

RubyWoo

I don't use flatirons but I'm curious because I might start using flatirons on my roots deeper into my relaxer stretch. :grin: Also, you might want to ask what temp they use the iron on as well b/c a person who uses a higher temp might pass it over their hair less times than a person who uses a lower temp.

*Patiently awaits responses.* :grin:

Good point! I updated the OP accordingly. Thank you!

Dposh167

i use anywhere from 200-250....sometime i may go up to a 300. at most....3x...but usually its twice

i never really got damage from the number of times. Only when i got lazy with my heat protectant. but now i'm on a 1x a month heat schedule...

curlcomplexity

formerly qtslim83
Hey all!
1. For those of you that flat iron, how many times do you pass each section of hair with the flat iron? Once, I get the NG (if I have any) first, then go over the whole length of the section i'm flatironing just once. I use small sections to make it easier.

2. What temperature are flat ironing at? 300-325 (I have a Sedu)

3. Also, have you sustained any damage when passing each section more than once? Nope, I prefer just going over each section just once b/c I seem to get more body that way. If I do more than one, my hair becomes too straight for me.

My answers are in PINK :grin:

charmtreese

I only pass it thru once or twice (depending on the area Im flat ironing...the crown of my head is very resistant), however I only flat iron my NG! I usually have the temp on 350.

tiffers

Whisper "bleep boop" to yourself when you're sad.
I pass once or twice with my FHI on like 375. I never got super sleek hair until I upped the temp. I used to flatiron on 300, and my hair would be all poofy. I realized that my hair just has to have higher heat to get the result I want. Oh well :ohwell:

SoCalli

1. For those of you that flat iron, how many times do you pass each section of hair with the flat iron? once or twice

2. What temperature are flat ironing at? 375 to 410...I like my thin hair to look thicker so I usually stick to 375

3. Also, have you sustained any damage when passing each section more than once? No, I always have split ends, whether I wear my hair natural or not. This is the first time I've consistently flat ironed my hair over this past few months. My hair has still grown and my ends still feel great.

Here's an article about flat ironing that you might find useful:
http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/news/turn-down-that-flat-iron

*fabulosity*

I'm not a rollersetter. I'm a flat iron-er. I'm surgical with my flat irons if I might say so myself.. but I'm trying to reduce the heat.. so I only get flat ironed now when I go to the salon. But I don't do that many passes.. my hair is medium (I don't think super fine or thick).. I use FHI techniques in 1", 1.25", and 1.75" to achieve desired look (its what my stylist does for dimension).. I have my heat turned all the way up 450..but I do use a protectant (Sedu or ciment thermique from Kerastase).. So one pass (and I never make it straight)..I always create curls; so I roll the barrel of the flat iron to get the curl and i'm set. This is after a moderate blow drying of course...not super straight (I can't blow dry super straight at home like they do at the salon).

NikStarrr

1. For those of you that flat iron, how many times do you pass each section of hair with the flat iron?

3. Also, have you sustained any damage when passing each section more than once?

1. Twice at the most.

2. 375 degrees. Every blue moon, I'll go 400 if I'm wanting it extra sleek.

3. Nope. But I wouldn't advocate passing more than twice.

MuslimahTresses

When I used the Maxiglide it only took one swipe but when i use my FHI it's usually 1 or 2 swipes.

The temp is normally 325-350

And I haven't noticed any damage to my hair.

NYAmicas

Seeker
I have a cheap flat-iron and I've been flat-ironing my hair while it's a bit damp so it takes more passes to get it dry and my arms get tired, lol.

BrownEyez22

Hey all!
1. For those of you that flat iron, how many times do you pass each section of hair with the flat iron? Usually 2x at most 3x when I was transitioning and blending the new growth with relaxed ends. I usually did more passes on the ng part.

2. What temperature are flat ironing at? I used a FHI and I think it was on 300-325

3. Also, have you sustained any damage when passing each section more than once? No the ng would revert back and when I did my BC my hair wasn't damaged.

Answers in purple

Edit: Thangs have chaaaannnged LOL....I Turn it up to 375-385

Last edited:

Napp

Ms. Nobody
i just flat ironed and my hair is very poofy. how do you know how hot the flat iron is. i have an andis iron and i set it on 4

loveable37

I flat iron on 250-300 PASS DOWN 2 TIMES it also depends how far long my relaxer retouch is like 5 weeks its 350 my hair poofy with tons of newgrowth after tha i use my ELECTRIC STRAIGHTEN COMB so i can get to the roots.

MyAngelEyez~C~U

1. For those of you that flat iron, how many times do you pass each section of hair with the flat iron? once, maybe twice

2. What temperature are flat ironing at? 425

3. Also, have you sustained any damage when passing each section more than once? No. and I flat iron my neighbors' hair and they've no damage either. I use Biosilk or Chi Silk Infusion, and I ordered some MorrocanOil to try (my stylist used it on my hair, and all I can say is WOW:grin:). I use an FHI Platform iron.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
Once or twice

370 degrees Fahrenheit

No damage

I only get sleeker shinier results when I use grease on my hair prior to flat ironing. If I don't use grease, my hair frizzes up.

foxieroxienyc

I always flat-iron my hair. I DC w/ heat 2x a week and for the most part I will flat iron after (sometimes that second wash becomes a co-wash and I just bun, so that takes my flat-iron down to 1x/week). I always airdry then I:

Set my iron to either 248 degrees (the lowest setting) or 284 (second lowest setting). Section my hair off into a small thin 1 inch section, pass through once with rat tail comb, then 2 passes with the flat iron (curving second pass to make a slight bump in hair), then pass through one last time with the comb. This is how my stylist did it, and this is what creates an amazingly smooth straight result for me. I've mastered this whole flat-ironing thing, lol. I use a 1 inch iron.

I have absolutely no heat damage. One little trick I do as I pass through the hair is to very slightly open the iron as it approaches my ends so the plates lightly graze them. For me (well let's say in my mind) it kinda allows me to straighten the hair without applying too much direct heat to the VERY ENDS of my hair. Maybe this is why my hair isn't all split. I think products and technique really dictate your results.

BostonMaria

Usually twice
I chose "other" because my Chi doesn't have a temperature setting
No damage at all! Its probably because I'm very careful and use a heat protectant plus I put a lot of coconut oil on my hair right before I rollerset. My hair is so soft afterwards that I only have to pass the Chi twice.

lilsparkle825

yesterday i used sabino mb + my solia on 370. it didnt get as sleek as i liked. i also do 2 passes.

when i upped the temp to 400-something on my mom her hair came out perfect. i think i will have to do like sabino suggests and turn it up.

DarkHair

I try to pass once

Mine is at a 2 (it goes up to 20)

no, but doing it once minimizes the heat for me

Caramela

I'm not sure what temp the iron is set on because it goes from a #1 - #30 (I believe) It's a jilbere porceline wet/dry. After I wash it I allow it to airdry for an hour or a little more until it's almost dry - that way I don't have to do as many passes to dry it completely. I would pass it through about 2-3 times, no more than that... and I have it set to a 9 or 10 heat level. And no damage. Actually it's way less damaging than blow drying. My ends are much sleeker and I haven't noticed any split ends or dryness as a result. (I'm a once-a-weeker)

Last edited: