Name the safest method to flat iron hair as well as your favorite heat protectant

curlytwirly06

Hi! So I am flat ironing my hair for the first time and have seen so many different people do so many different things. I would deeply appreciate it if you ladies could share your best methods for flat ironing that have lead to no heat damage, including products used for the blowout and then flat ironing. If you could detail your process I would be eternally grateful. :yep: Thanks!

Also I have heard some people say not to put the flat iron anywhere near your hair till it is bone dry then I have heard some say apply blow dry protection then blow dry then flat iron applying heat protection to each section as you go. In my mind that would mean that it would be damp while flat ironing right??? Which is dangerous, right?

Last edited:

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
curlytwirly06, I rarely blow dry but when I do....

I apply heat protection to damp hair then sit under the hooded dryer and dry my hair for about 30-45 mins. The ends usually aren't dry because they hang past the dryer so I will spritz my hair a few more times with heat protectant before blow drying. It's what my stylist do at the salon so I mimic that at home.

The flat iron should never be used on wet or damp hair. It should be bone dry.

curlytwirly06

curlytwirly06, I rarely blow dry but when I do.... I apply heat protection to damp hair then sit under the hooded dryer and dry my hair for about 30-45 mins. The ends usually aren't dry because they hang past the dryer so I will spritz my hair a few more times with heat protectant before blow drying. It's what my stylist do at the salon so I mimic that at home. The flat iron should never be used on wet or damp hair. It should be bone dry.[/QUOTE/]

Thank you! Someone was saying how they applied heat protectant right before flat ironing then put the iron on their hair... I was like, can't that burn your hair?

SlimPickinz

Summer where are you?
Heat protectant isn't only in spray form. There are leave ins & serums.

You may get heat damaged either way though if your hair can't handle a certain temp.

curlytwirly06

Heat protectant isn't only in spray form. There are leave ins & serums. You may get heat damaged either way though if your hair can't handle a certain temp.

Thank you for the info, I have never flat ironed my hair before. I have fine 3a-3c hair. What temp do you suggest? Here's a pic

Attachments

• image-1621820841.jpg
    image-1621820841.jpg
    251.4 KB · Views: 121

keranikki

Natural, 3abc/4a, Fine, medium density
Thank you for the info, I have never flat ironed my hair before. I have fine 3a-3c hair. What temp do you suggest? Here's a pic

I have the same texture as you. I don't go over 325 degrees and I allow my hair to cool before I make a second pass. I only make two passes. Take your time.

Evolving78

my daughter is 3c and I use 325-350 on her. And it has to be done in small thin sections to get silk straight results. I use a heat protectant serum on her and my hair.

shtow

My hair started doing much better when I made sure my hair was mostly dry before I put the blow dryer to it.

My regimen:
Shampoo with Selsun Blue Moisturizing forumula
DC with Shea Moisture Black Soap mask with heat 30 mins
Apply Just for Me leave in dentangler. Detangle
Apply Fantasia Heat Protector Spray or Serum and comb through
Sit under the dryer until 80-90 percent dry
Blow Dry and Flat Iron (my CHI is set to 375).

I make sure I wrap my hair in a silk bonnet to keep it from getting dry. I may a apply a light oil or serum once or twice a week.

With this method, I only require trims twice a year and I use heat weekly.

Evolving78

You have to invest in a good flat iron that is safe for you to use at home. Folks are getting a professional grade flat iron that might not be suitable for novice home use. All flat irons may not distribute heat properly and evenly, causing heat damage or not a smooth enough press. And when using product, less product is best. Don't co wash , dc, then add a bunch of leave ins, oils, moisturizers, protectants. You will cause build up and may cause the flat iron to burn the hair. Clean, well conditioned hair, with a leave in that can also be used as a heat protectant is best.

Last edited:

curlytwirly06

You have to invest in a good flat iron that is safe for you to use at home. Folks are getting a professional grade flat iron that might not be suitable for novice home use. All flat irons may not distribute heat properly and evenly, causing heat damage or not a smooth enough press. And when using product, less product is best. Don't co wash , dc, then add a bunch of leave ins, oils, moisturizers, protectants. You will cause build up and may cause the flat iron to burn the hair. Clean, well conditioned hair, with a leave in that can also be used as a heat protectant is best.
Okay how does this sound? Two weeks prior to flat ironing I am going to focus on deep conditioning and moisture the week of will do the following:

Pre-poo with olive oil / coconut oil sit under the steamer for 30min.

Detangle
Wash with sulfate shampoo

Condition with trader joes moisture conditioner

Deep condition / strengthen with aphogee 2min reconstructor

Deep condition with silk dreams shea what! Apply leave in (no sealing as to avoid oil)

Apply blow dry protectant ( herbal essence)

Braid to stretch, let air dry

The next day blow dry using the tension method apply heat protectant ( chi silk)

Flat iron using the chase method on 300- 315 (hair starts to burn at 320f ) using very small sections.

Okay that is all I have learned from my research, anyone think this is good? Have I missed anything? I am using a sedu revolution btw.

Last edited:

PJaye

If you have fine 3A-3C hair, blow drying is unnecessary, IMO. Air drying in a stretched state will be enough.

Last edited:

Evolving78

Okay how does this sound? Two weeks prior to flat ironing I am going to focus on deep conditioning and moisture the week of will do the following: Pre-poo with olive oil / coconut oil sit under the steamer for 30min. Detangle Wash with sulfate shampoo Condition with trader joes moisture conditioner Deep condition / strengthen with aphogee 2min reconstructor Deep condition with silk dreams shea what! Apply leave in (no sealing as to avoid oil) Apply blow dry protectant ( herbal essence) Braid to stretch, let air dry The next day blow dry using the tension method apply heat protectant ( chi silk) Flat iron using the chase method on 300- 320f (hair starts to burn at 330f ) using very small sections. Okay that is all I have learned from my research, anyone think this is good? Have I missed anything?
you need two protein treatment s? Is Shea what a protein? And apply heat protectant twice? Does your leave in have heat protectant properties too?

SlimPickinz

Summer where are you?
Have you tried a blow out? That may satisfy your urge for straight hair. I've noticed that a lot of the women on the board who don't straighten their hair often miss their curlswhen they straighten. And that leads them to washing it sooner than later. Since your hair is type 3 it can get pretty straight from a blow dry.

I have no advice on what temp. I use 302 with 2 passes or btwn 302 & 370 with one pass. I also get better results when I use my carbon comb. But my hair is partially heat trained

Fine 4s

To add to your prep, I'd do a protein treatment (I do hard ones) before applying any form of heat. I only blowdry though.

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
You should do a few strand test to determine what is the best temperature and how (and if) the hair will revert.

curlytwirly06

To add to your prep, I'd do a protein treatment (I do hard ones) before applying any form of heat. I only blowdry though.
I did a Dudley DRC mixed with aphogee treatment this past week and usually I only do them every 6-8 weeks or risk overload. I use small treatment inbetween.

curlytwirly06

you need two protein treatment s? Is Shea what a protein? And apply heat protectant twice? Does your leave in have heat protectant properties too?

Umm, I don't really count Shea what as a protein treatment. My hair LOVES hardcore protein and products with light protein help with maintenance but don't give me the oomph I want. I am doing the two minute mainly because it always leaves my hair feeling moisturized and happy feeling.

I am very worried about heat damage do I thought to put some in before blowdrying and after blowdrying.

bydebra

That sounds like too much product to me. I wouldn't condition three times. I'd just use one deep conditioner and let it sit on your hair with heat to make sure it penetrates, rinse and apply on leave-in or serum that doubles as a heat protectant.

The Aphoghee would be good for the first wash after you flat-iron, in my opinion.

curlytwirly06

That sounds like too much product to me. I wouldn't condition three times. I'd just use one deep conditioner and let it sit on your hair with heat to make sure it penetrates, rinse and apply on leave-in or serum that doubles as a heat protectant. The Aphoghee would be good for the first wash after you flat-iron, in my opinion.

Last question and then I'm done bothering you! I decided for a heat protectant I am going to use the fantasia ic serum. I initially said a more pricy one which I realized was not in my budget range. It is a serum and not a leave in. I can't find a leave in that gives my hair the moisture I need and is a heat protectant. Can u just apply my leave in the the fantasia and let it air dry overnight then flat iron the next day? Will the heat protectant wear off or something? Will that be to much product in my hair?

ChristmasCarol

curlytwirly06

Is there a reason you want to use a leave-in? Your hair will cone out much better if left naked - other than the heat protectant. Unless very coarse and dense, type 3 hair tends to look flat and lifeless when weighed down with leave-ins, IMO. Be sure not to use too much IC Fantasia serum, as it can have the same effect.

Another tip: Sounds counter-intuitive, but you may want to try using an old-fashioned pressing oil near your roots. It blocks out any sweat on your scalp so you don't end up with wavy roots after a day. Just a teeny, tiny amount on the roots of each section. I used Dudley's, IIRC, but various brands can be had for a couple dollars at chain drugstores, WallyWorld, Target, etc.
HTH

ETA: As PJaye suggested, skipping the blow dry is good advice. No need for additional heat and manipulation.

Last edited:

ronie

Leave ins that doubled as heat protectant
Aphogee pro vitamin leave in -excellent heat protectant with proven ingredient to protect against heat ( cetrimonium chloride, hydrolyzed vegetable protein). It also has collagen amino acids and hydrolyzed keratin to repair hair from any damage. It is not very moisturizing though unless your deep conditioner was all that in the moisture department.
Aphogee curlific leave in- same properties as above, but it leaves hair soft and manageable.
Carol s daughter cupuacu blow dry cream- creamy, moisturizing with anti reversion properties.
Redken anti snap- same as aphogee, but it is more of a lotion consistency. This did not leave my hair too soft.
Redken all soft supple touch is the best of all world, lol. It protects, moisturizes, softens, detangles, and it smells good. Although it comes in a spray bottle, the consistency is lotion-like.
All of these products are water based, so I always follow them with a cone based serum to seal everything in before I apply heat. I have normal to high porosity hair so this is a must if I want a smooth blowout. Anything less, my hair comes out frizzy and dry.
So it's leave in/heat protectant followed by a thin film of cone based serum, blow out, flat iron. I may or may not use more serum for the flat iron phase. It depends on how my hair feels or looks.
Good luck.

PJaye

My straightening technique was an arduous process that took years to perfect. This is my process:

- Shampoo with a sulfate-free shampoo (to prevent the stripping of oils from the hair)
- Thoroughly detangle while rinsing
- DC for an extended period of time with a moisturizing deep conditioner (the key to obtaining the best results and lessening the probability of heat damage is the infusion of moisture into the strands. A huge light bulb went off after I encountered the following thread http://www.longhaircareforum.com/sh...ghlight=secret+to+straightening+with+one+pass)
- Apply a light coating of a leave-in conditioner (the hair still needs the nutrients and lubrication this provides)
- Detangle thoroughly and alow to air dry in at least 6 braids
- Starting at the nape, apply Tresseme Heat Tamer Spray to each section; wait a few minutes for it to dry (after sampling 500 heat protectants, I've learned that serums always make my fine hair feel hard and coated. This is the best protectant I've ever used because it produces light, silky results. Plus, it's always on sale at 2 for $7)
- Flat iron using small sections with no more than 2 passes
- Dress with a light coating of a non-water based moisturizer and style
- Do a light to medium protein treatment on the following wash day

Remember, keep your post-DC product application minimal and your moisture intake heavy. Be sure to take lots of pictures and update this thread with your experiences.:yep: HTH!

curlytwirly06

My straightening technique was an arduous process that took years to perfect. This is my process: - Shampoo with a sulfate-free shampoo (to prevent the stripping of oils from the hair) - Thoroughly detangle while rinsing - DC for an extended period of time with a moisturizing deep conditioner (the key to obtaining the best results and lessening the probability of heat damage is the infusion of moisture into the strands. A huge light bulb went off after I encountered the following thread http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=431336&highlight=secret+to+straightening+with+one+pass) - Apply a light coating of a leave-in conditioner (the hair still needs the nutrients and lubrication this provides) - Detangle thoroughly and alow to air dry in at least 6 braids - Starting at the nape, apply Tresseme Heat Tamer Spray to each section; wait a few minutes for it to dry (after sampling 500 heat protectants, I've learned that serums always make my fine hair feel hard and coated. This is the best protectant I've ever used because it produces light, silky results. Plus, it's always on sale at 2 for $7) - Flat iron using small sections with no more than 2 passes - Dress with a light coating of a non-water based moisturizer and style - Do a light to medium protein treatment on the following wash day Remember, keep your post-DC product application minimal and your moisture intake heavy. Be sure to take lots of pictures and update this thread with your experiences.:yep: HTH!

Your so wonderful! All of you have helped me so much! Thank you!

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
I use a Babyliss Pro flat iron and I too let water absorb out of my hair before flat ironing.

After rinsing the deep conditioner, I apply a liquid leave in that also serves as a heat protectant: Pureology 21 Benefits

I sit under the hooded dryer until dry. I will lightly spritz a little more heat protectant to my entire head before flat ironing my hair.

I use 2 passes at 300. I'm relaxed. The passes smooths the relaxed hair but does very little to my ng. It leaves a lot of texture behind but it's sufficient enough for my preference.

eta: I lightly apply moisturizer to my hair that day after I'm done or a few days later. I don't apply it before flat ironing to avoid product build up or heat damage.

PlainJane

How are you ladies stretching your hair prior to flat ironing? I see braids are mentioned that doesn't stretch certain sections of my hair enough. Maybe I should try smaller braids.