Flat Iron users: How many passes??

How many passes with the flat iron & at what temperature?

• 1 pass and temp 200-300

Votes: 16 7.7%
  • 1 pass & temp 301+

Votes: 13 6.2%
  • 1 pass & temp 350+

Votes: 38 18.2%
  • 2 passes & temp 200-300

Votes: 20 9.6%
  • 2 passes & temp 301+

Votes: 28 13.4%
  • 2 passes & temp 350+

Votes: 62 29.7%
  • 3 + passes & temp 200-300

Votes: 11 5.3%
  • 3+ passes & temp 301+

Votes: 2 1.0%
  • 3+ passes & temp 350+

Votes: 10 4.8%
  • Other - please explain

Votes: 9 4.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Caramela

For me (well let's say in my mind) it kinda allows me to straighten the hair without applying too much direct heat to the VERY ENDS of my hair. Maybe this is why my hair isn't all split. I think products and technique really dictate your results.

:yep: I forgot to add that while I may pass 2-3 times on my length, that I only pass through once on the ends of my hair. They're drier (because they're older) so they don't need as much heat and as a result I haven't had any damage to my ends.

fa$hionista

1. For those of you that flat iron, how many times do you pass each section of hair with the flat iron? 2 or 3 passes on my fhi runway now that my hair is natural, otherwise if it is set on a lower heat setting it will revert a bit in the humidity

2. What temperature are you flat ironing at? 400°-450° with a good heat protectant and sabino moisture block

3. Also, have you sustained any damage when passing each section more than once? I don't flat iron my hair too regularly, maybe once a month or every other month if that. But no damage so far from flat ironing.

Maz11

1. For those of you that flat iron, how many times do you pass each section of hair with the flat iron? 1 pass

2. What temperature are flat ironing at? FHI @ 340

3. Also, have you sustained any damage when passing each section more than once?
Apply CHI Silk Infusion before rollersetting & before flat ironing, no damage.

Last edited:

Solitude

I do as many passes as I need to get my hair straight-straight, which is usually 2, sometimes more in the coarser areas. I only use my flat iron at 280 degrees, though.

I use CHI silk infusion. Before LHCF, I suffered serious heat damage, so I don't flat iron much and when I do, I pre-poo, DC after, and use heat protectant. I have a Biosilk 1" flat iron.

bgsix

I use my FHI on 350. Passing thru each section once. I make sure my sections are not too big. The timeframe I experienced damage is when I did not use a heat protectant all the time and didn't properly condition my hair.

Last edited:

GV-NA-GI-TLV-GE-I

I've tried a variety of irons, unsatisfied. Do you have to make many pass-through's with the Maxi-glide? Does it moisturize the hair? I think I need a steam one.

Christelyn

I would say it also depends on the flat iron. I used a somewhat cheapie flat iron and I had to pass through countless times, and my ends would be crunchy. Since I purchased my PRECIOUS Paul Mitchell Ion Express, I only have to pass through once, maybe twice in my most kinky areas. IMO, when it comes to heat appliances, it doesn't pay to go bargain basement. I'm also having way less breakage.

LightEyedMami

i do about 1-2 passes on about 300 degrees. but my hair is NEVER silky smoothe (im 4b) i think i would have to kick it up to 375 or 400 for that!

ETA: i use the maxiglide, its fabulous

hothair

My FHI is in Calcius and based on my calculations I use it at just over 300F I usually do 2 swipes, one concentrating at the roots the second the ends... I've not noticed any breakage (been flatironing once a weeks since April) and some decent growth. Most importantly my ends are not crazy dry and knotty as they used to be. I use a modified Ateyaaa regimen(see youtube) but switch up a lot to incorporate more moisture stuff....

Nonie

1. For those of you that flat iron, how many times do you pass each section of hair with the flat iron?
Two passes. First pass is a wet-to-dry to get a semi-straight effect. (In the past, I did this with only water, no products. This last time, I used a thermal protectant spray to wet my hair and pressed to dry that way.) Second pass is after applying a serum to the semi-straight press which gives a smooth finish. (In the past, I used just any ol' serum. This time around, I made sure I used a thermal protectant serum.)

2. What temperature are flat ironing at?

I use my flat iron at its highest temperature of 446 degrees F (230 degrees C)

3. Also, have you sustained any damage when passing each section more than once?
No damage. In fact, of all the presses I've ever done in my life, my last experience was by far the best. It was the first time ever that I have witnessed hair being pressed without there being any smell of burnt hair. Not even a stylist has ever pulled that around me so I was thrilled to bits. My hair reverted the minute I shampooed, and again, not a whiff of burnt hair. This was a first again. My hair has always reverted when I press but the smell of burnt hair was always a bit unnerving and led me to think a few hairs did get singed beyond repair. But taking all the precautions I took with using even a "heat protectant conditioner" I believe led to the most successful press I've ever had, and brought an end to any fear I had of using heat on my hair.

DaDragonPrincess

Before I went on my NO DIRECT HEAT DIET, 1 pass was enough for me. Don't really care if it don't get silk straight, as long as it's straight enough to manage i'm happy. :yep:

Saffirejuiliet

1. For those of you that flat iron, how many times do you pass each section of hair with the flat iron?
I only do two passes with each section of hair.
2. What temperature are flat ironing at?
The temperature is usually set around 300 degrees F.
No. I have not sustained any heat damage with passing twice with my flat iron at the temperature stated above. I attribute my hair's health to quality conditioners, heat protectants, and not over-using the flat iron.

silvergirl

no more than two passes, between 370-390 depending on the flatiron. never got heat damage from a flatiron,,but a pressing comb is banned from my hair. it took out portions of the front of my hair and permanently made the hair that didnt come out 2b. thankfully i had only tested my part of bangs otherwise i wouldve had no hair back then.

FindingMe

I do one pass at about 370 with my FHI. Straightens my hair like butter and no isseus afterward that i can tell...I always use Sabino Moisture Block as a heat protectant, works well for me.

outspokenwallflower

1 pass, and at a temp of 325, though, I have used it at 370 (usually no higher) and always only 1 pass. BUT, I also blow dry beforehand, so it kind of eliminates the cause of going over each section more than once.

Missjae09

I generally use my FHI to intially straighten my hair. The temperature is set to 375... after I've straightened my hair I go back in and curl it with the flat iron. Normally it comes out pretty silky.. any setting lower, my hair is left looking puffy.