Flat-Ironed Hair vs. Unflat-ironed Hair=Relaxed vs. Natural Hair?

darlingdiva

When I read posts and see videos from women who discuss the mental transition of going from relaxed to natural and the reactions that they receive when doing so, I find myself relating to them and thinking about how I used to feel with my flat-ironed vs. unflat-ironed hair.

First, a little background on my hair: According to the hair typing system, I’m a 4a/4b with some 3c at the nape. Until I started lurking here, I COMPLETELY bought into the “good hair/bad hair” syndrome. I thought my hair was the “bad hair.” I hated when the Goody brush would break when my mother brushed my hair. I remember seeing how sleek that little girl’s hair was on the PCJ box when I was five years old, and I begged for her a perm. She gave me one when I was six years old. I liked it because it was straight and sleek. Plus, it was easier for my mother to handle. Eventually, she realized that perms had their own set of maintenance requirements and she didn’t feel like being bothered with touch-ups, so she started pressing my hair. That’s when it fell out (I was about 10 years old then.). She bought me a braided wig to wear while she nursed my hair back to health.

Fast forward to high school/sophomore year of undergrad-January 2007: During this time, I was getting my hair pressed. Initially, my mother pressed it at home. Then, I started going to the hair dresser. When my mother did my hair, it was a two-day process (Day 1: washing and air drying; Day 2: Pressing). Sometimes, my mother didn’t feel like pressing my hair the next day, so I’d have to go to school with two cornrowed braids. I hated the way it looked (wavy and kinky). I didn’t like the reactions I’d get (weird looks and stares from students, teachers, and people in the street). When I’d get my hair pressed, I’d feel like a different person (happier, more confident) because I liked the way it looked, and I liked the reactions that I received from others (approval via smiles and compliments).

When I started dating my husband, I was still getting my hair pressed every two weeks. At a certain point, I started to think about whether I should stop pressing my hair because I felt and saw it getting weaker. I hesitated to stop getting my hair pressed b/c I worried about how I’d look without straight hair and what my husband (then SO) would think of it. I spoke w/ him about it and he said to go for it. I did, and he loved it. However, when I told him (after I stopped pressing my hair) that I was worried about how I’d look, he admitted that he was too.

Anyway, the point of this post is as follows:

As you go from (or when you went from) flat-ironed to unflat-ironed hair, can any non-relaxed flat-ironers relate to (or have you ever been able to relate to) the mental and physical transition that some relaxed women go through? Do you experience or have you ever experienced “different” reactions?

fyb87

When you went from flat-ironed to unflat-ironed hair, can any non-relaxed flat-ironers relate to (or have you ever been able to relate to) the mental and physical transition that some relaxed women go through?
No I haven't been able to relate.

Do you experience or have you ever experienced “different” reactions?
From the male population I have received some of the most wonderful compliments. Which I hadn't received in the past. That has been extremely surprising. The only other different/negative response I had was from a female aquaintance (friend of a friend) who said she preferred my hair straight. I just looked at her and then walked away. We weren't talking about hair at all she said this out of the blue for some odd reason. Obviously a hater! :lachen:

JayAnn0513

I make 30 look good!
When you went from flat-ironed to unflat-ironed hair, can any non-relaxed flat-ironers relate to (or have you ever been able to relate to) the mental and physical transition that some relaxed women go through?
No I haven't been able to relate.

Do you experience or have you ever experienced “different” reactions?
From the male population I have received some of the most wonderful compliments. Which I hadn't received in the past. That has been extremely surprising. The only other different/negative response I had was from a female aquaintance (friend of a friend) who said she preferred my hair straight. I just looked at her and then walked away. We weren't talking about hair at all she said this out of the blue for some odd reason. Obviously a hater! :lachen:

Obviously! Your curly hair is FAB!

bedazzled

Well as a 4a/4B if my hair isn't flat ironed people say "oh you're nappy" + "you need a relaxer". So naturally I have always felt a bit iffy with my just blow dried hair. But my freshman year of college I really took it to a WHOLE new level, and started rocking a HUGE afro to school and one day this boy came up to me and said "Wow you have some gorgeous/kinky hair" and it made me feel really good. Now i just wear my hair in curly styles when I don't flat iron but I am definitely alot comfortable rocking the unflatironed hair. As of right now I cant though because I am 6 months post & my hair will be all over the place with this cold wind and I don't want to look like someones long lost homeless negro.:rolleyes: