Pressing Relaxed Hair

davisbr88

I just watched a video in which a lady mentioned that relaxed hair should not be pressed with a hot comb. Is this true? I am confused as to why relaxed hair can be flat-ironed, but not pressed with a hot comb. I am asking because I just purchased a Lavatech ceramic pressing comb and was planning to use it both on my new growth as well as my relaxed ends. Has anyone else heard that pressing combs are not for relaxed hair? I don't understand the difference, especially because my particular pressing comb is ceramic and temperature-controlled just like a flat iron.

Last edited:

Black Ambrosia

Typically natural hair can take a lot more heat than relaxed hair. If your roots require a higher temp than your relaxed hair can stand then it could lead to breakage. I'm sure its fine in moderation and with the proper heat protectant though.

lea86111

i'm sure it's a-ok. I mean, it's basically the same concept of the comb chase method (ot:which i absolutely <3 LHCF for teaching me!!!!!!)

davisbr88

Typically natural hair can take a lot more heat than relaxed hair. If your roots require a higher temp than your relaxed hair can stand then it could lead to breakage. I'm sure its fine in moderation and with the proper heat protectant though.

I guess that's why it's confusing to me. I don't know anybody (not saying it doesn't happen but I've never heard/known anyone) that changes the heat setting of their flat iron mid-press. Like I don't know anyone that just flat irons their roots at say, 350, but then turns it down to 300 to do the rest of the hair. Typically people use the same heat setting throughout their whole head. I know that my hair gets straight around 330 degrees and that's the temp I use on both my natural and relaxed hair. I do have to turn it up to 350 for my coarser crown, but I've never switched settings from natural to relaxed hair. I just don't see how the comb is different than a flat iron if they're both at 330 degrees. I hope what I'm saying makes sense. I just don't want to press my hair and my relaxed hair fries because of some hot comb secret I don't know.

hopeful

I've had hairdressers use a hotcomb on the roots and a flat-iron on the relaxed hair. And I've had a hairdresser use a hot comb on the newgrowth and the relaxed hair. There is a difference. Relaxed hair cannot tolerate a hotcomb IMO, it's just too much.

kittikat24

I think if its ceramic and temp controlled--you should be fine. The old-fashioned combs are the scary ones...they fffrrryyy the strands at super high temps.

Kash

I've had hairdressers use a hotcomb on the roots and a flat-iron on the relaxed hair. And I've had a hairdresser use a hot comb on the newgrowth and the relaxed hair. There is a difference. Relaxed hair cannot tolerate a hotcomb IMO, it's just too much.

can you explain the difference.:the hot comb is metal teeth heated up / the flatiron is metal plates heated up. and you can control a heated hot comb with a heat tester, just like a flatiron temp can be controlled. and the hair doesn't know the difference between a flatiron vs. a hot comb.

Last edited:

davisbr88

Thanks for your response. What difference did you notice? I don't mind just pressing the roots and flat-ironing the rest so this isn't coming from someone who is going to do what I want to do regardless of what you say. I am legitimately curious and want to know the answer. It just confuses me because when I flat iron with my Maxiglide, which has teeth (so not the flat plates), I used the same heat all over and it did not affect my relaxed hair. Did your stylists use metal combs or ceramic? Maybe that makes a difference? My comb is ceramic and I can control the temp.

hopeful

Over time the relaxed hair got weaker. The new growth was fine. Initially, the hair looks beautiful, super silky but over time it's just too much. I personally would not let anyone do that to my hair again.

davisbr88

Over time the relaxed hair got weaker. The new growth was fine. Initially, the hair looks beautiful, super silky but over time it's just too much. I personally would not let anyone do that to my hair again.

Thanks! I only plan to straighten twice from now until next August when I chop (and won't have the natural-relaxed hair problem anymore! lol), so maybe it will be okay. I just bought it so I definitely want to try it at least once but I definitely appreciate your response. Thanks so much for clearing that up. Maybe it's because of the small distance between the teeth? Who knows. Hopefully once or twice won't kill me, and if so, I will be PM'ing you crying about it. Lol.

LayneJ

If your hot comb is ceramic with temp. control, I agree with you, I don't see much of a difference between tools.

I think when most people hear "hot comb" they think of the old school combs that you put on the stove or in the oven. There is not much room for error with those things.

Also, CrackersPhinn (sp?) said her stylist uses a hot comb on her relaxed hair. Her hair is very long (MBL-ish) and it looks great.

hopeful

Thanks! I only plan to straighten twice from now until next August when I chop (and won't have the natural-relaxed hair problem anymore! lol), so maybe it will be okay. I just bought it so I definitely want to try it at least once but I definitely appreciate your response. Thanks so much for clearing that up. Maybe it's because of the small distance between the teeth? Who knows. Hopefully once or twice won't kill me, and if so, I will be PM'ing you crying about it. Lol.

That's why I didn't make a big deal about it either because I was transitioning and knew I would be bc'ing. No ill-effects on my natural hair which was most important to me. Good luck.

davisbr88

So I have done research elsewhere on the net and it seems like the general consensus is to keep the comb from the relaxed hair. I don't know whether or not all of the combs they were discussing were ceramic/electric like mine (it doesn't seem like they are based upon responses like hard-to-control temp and comb being too hot), but just the shear volume of people warning against it is enough for me. I haven't been able to find enough people using an electric comb with transitioning hair that have had success to try it. I am already terrified of heat damage, so all I need is to have a broken-off mess to send me over the edge.
Looks like I'm going back to my maxiglide and will crack open my new tool when I'm fully natural... *tear at another shiny new product that's gonna sit in my closet collecting dust*

Last edited: