Flat Twist Updo Attempt, Pics Inside

MsJellie

Hey everyone. I wanted to share this with you all. Flat twisting has always been a style that I've struggled with. I just never seemed to be able to get the finger placement down. I told myself, if I can cornrow, surely I should be able to flat twist my hair. So, I watched some YouTube videos, stood in the mirror, and just did it.
I'm pleased with how it came out and know that if I keep practicing, eventually I'll perfect it to my liking. So, here are the pics. I flat twisted to the middle, twisted those up, two-strand twisted my "bangs", and then did a twist out on those in the morning.

I put the video of my attempt on YouTube as well (link in siggy).

If you have tips on flat twisting, please share. I think next time, I'll do it wet, use something with more hold, and make sure I pin the twists while waiting to finish them off. Thanks!

HairPleezeGrow

Natural.MediumFine.3c.
Great job OP...I wish I could flat twist my hair :( I can do my 3 daughter's hair but not my own. Actually I really cant do anything to my own hair lol smh

BlkOnyx488

WOW that's really nice!! I love how the twist look the design they create.
Shoot you make me wanna give flat twisting another try LOL

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
that is really lovely!
mine never look "structured" if you know what i mean. they always turn out fuzzy so i gave up.
do you have any tips?

MsJellie

that is really lovely!
mine never look "structured" if you know what i mean. they always turn out fuzzy so i gave up.
do you have any tips?

Well, I would definitely say make sure you grab small sections of hair at a time. This should help to make the twists a little tighter. Do you flat twist on dry or wet hair? What products have you used when flat twisting?

MsJellie

You did a beautiful job! They're very neat. What products did you use?

Thank you. I'm hoping to get them even neater! I used Qhemet Biologics Olive and Honey Hydrating Balm. I did this on hair that had already been washed, conditioned, and coated with a leave-in. I think next time, I'll use something with a bit more hold, like a gel or maybe a shea-aloe mix.

skraprchik

Good Job!

I personally found that I didn't like flat twisting wet because I felt like it was easier to cause breakage. I prefer flat twisting dry hair. I'd love to hear how it works out for you.

MsJellie

Good Job!

I personally found that I didn't like flat twisting wet because I felt like it was easier to cause breakage. I prefer flat twisting dry hair. I'd love to hear how it works out for you.

Good tip. I didn't even think about that. Maybe I'll just lightly mist it, to get it a tad bit damp. Thanks! This is why I love posting here, to get tips from all of you ladies!