For all the ladies who wear buns...

ArizonaBeauty

I have been either bunning my hair or just put it up in a pony with my ends hidden. I've been doing this about a month and now I've notice that my sides are getting thin. I've been rubbing WGO on them and loosing my ponytails but now I feel slight pressure when I pull it back. Any suggestions?

I think that you may be pulling your hair too tight while bunning which is causing undo pressure on your sides and making them thin. If so I would suggest loose protective styles like braidouts for a while.;)

The only suggestion that I would have had is to make sure its not a super tight bun... but you just said that you've been making certain to loosen it, so i guess my point is moot.

I wear a bun everyday.... but its a really loose one. That is, the bun itself is secure, but my hair only pulled up loosely. So its not putting a strain on the hair at all.

I would continue to massage the thinning sides with some type of oil. The stimulation is good for it. I dont know how potent WGO is, but i know it has other ingredients besides essential oils. I would probably find an essential oil to massage with... and I personally found that mtg thickens up thinning edges...and folks have had luck with castor oil as well.

Okay, I just got some MTG. It came yesterday. I havent gotten the oil to mix with it yet but I'll rub a little on there and maybe just pin my hair instead of pulling back into a pony. Thanks

I agree...wear a loose updo and not a bun/pony for a while. Once you've rested your sides for a while you can try going back to a really really loose bun. If you start to experience thinning again, then bunning just isn't for you unfortunately.

I hope you figure out a way to protect your hair and keep you sides as well. :)

Like others have said this could be two things:
1. Pulling your hair two tight.
2. Sleeping. The sides of my hair started thinning because I'm a wild sleeper and used to sleep with my hair in buns. I've actually found the less restricted my hair is when I sleep, the more movement it has and the less likely it is to break. YOu might want to get a night cap, satin pillowcase or silk scarf.

I agree with the others! Doing massages and a few braidouts here and there will give your hair a break from being confined so much. Also, your bun may feel and look loose to you with your head held upright-- but you should always do a tension check test before you leave the bathroom. If you can't tilt your head to your chest and roll your head from side to side without feeling any tension-- something is being stressed and its too tight. :)

ITA w/ MsNadi on the sleeping. I am a daily bunner and I never sleep with the bun/ponytail intact. I always remove the holder, moisturize, pin it up into a loose bun, and tie that down. :) Sometimes I don't even use hair pins. Just loop and tie it down. If your hair is constricted as you toss and turn, it may put a hurtin' on those edges. Thats why when you see little girls with that tell-tell "halo" of little sprouting hairs--- sticking out around the ponytail in a circle, it's usually breakage from sleeping in a holder.

I also make sure to alternate my partings in the front. I do side, middle, other side, and sometimes no part to change it up from week to week. I don't like to keep it all slicked back into the same pattern day in and day out. That can wear on your hair after awhile. I also wear "sweeps/swoops" in the front. This keeps you from pulling the hair up front straight back into the pony. You can simply tuck the sweep behind your ear and pin it, or loosely incorporate it into the ponytail. If you make the thinning side apart of the main swoop, it will take tension off that area. Switching it up adds interest and gives your edges on all sides much needed breaks. (breaks, hahaa No pun in intended :lol: )

Well I do sleep in a satin bonnet plus I have satin pillowcases. I think it has gotten so weak from me pulling it back and now even when I loosen it, its still bothers me. I end up take my bun off and taking off the pony tail holder by the middle of the day. I normally don't part my hair either. I also notice a small bald spot, it wasnt on the sides though. Is it possible that its coming from some type of product that im using and not the actually pulling into a bun?

No, if it were a product then it would probably be coming out everywhere and not just one concentrated area(unless thats the only area that the product is used).

I'm surprised no one mentioned anything about brushing!!! If you're using a hard brush and trying too hard to slick the edges down with a gel or even when its just wet then that could cause major problems. If you're using hard gels, brushing wet hair with a hard brush, or doing too many reps with the brush trying to slick the edges down then these could all be reasons.:ohwell:

lexi84 said:
No, if it were a product then it would probably be coming out everywhere and not just one concentrated area(unless thats the only area that the product is used).

I'm surprised no one mentioned anything about brushing!!! If you're using a hard brush and trying too hard to slick the edges down with a gel or even when its just wet then that could cause major problems. If you're using hard gels, brushing wet hair with a hard brush, or doing too many reps with the brush trying to slick the edges down then these could all be reasons.:ohwell:

Ditto! I was going to say that but she took the words right out of my fingers.

I would suggest using a small toothed comb and RAKING the sides down and smooth. I fyou are brushing def. stop. that may be the culprit.

Back