For those who Blowdry or do Dominican Blowouts....

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
For those who Blowdry or do Dominican Blowouts....what type of round brush do you use?:

Does your round brush have boar bristles, plastic bristles, or wire bristles with dots on the end?

Is the brush small, medium, large? Or approx. how big in diameter is it?

You don't have to answer all the questions. Feel free to answer any of them. Please help!

Poohbear

Aisha,

Thanks for your post! Do you ever experience breakage from using boar bristle brushes?

northernbelle

Re: For those who Blowdry or do Dominican Blowouts

I don't use a brush. I am not able to manipulate it w/o causing damage to my hair.

So, I partially dry my hair under the hood dryer, and then blow out the roots and ends with the blow dryer, using either a rattail comb or a dryer comb attachment. I finish with my ceramic flat iron.

This is the way my hair is styled at JC Penney, and, with the exception of the ceramic flat iron, this is the way my hair was styled when I lived in Augusta, Georgia. Instead of a ceramic flat iron, the stylist used marcel irons.

I did notice, however, in Walgreen's recently a blow dryer stand. The idea is that the stand holds the blow dryer in such a way that allows one to dry and style using a roud brush.

I did not check out the price, so I do not know what the blow dryer stand costs.

northernbelle

Poohbear

[ QUOTE ]
northernbelle said:
I don't use a brush. I am not able to manipulate it w/o causing damage to my hair.

So, I partially dry my hair under the hood dryer, and then blow out the roots and ends with the blow dryer, using either a rattail comb or a dryer comb attachment. I finish with my ceramic flat iron. northernbelle

[/ QUOTE ]

Northernbelle, does the rattail comb cause u any breakage or do u use it very slowly? Do you wear you hair mostly straight?

If you do a rollerset, do u use the comb attachment or rattail comb? If so, does your hair come out curly?

Sorry for all the questions...I'm just trying to learn

northernbelle

[ QUOTE ]
Poohbear said:
[ QUOTE ]
northernbelle said:

So, I partially dry my hair under the hood dryer, and then blow out the roots and ends with the blow dryer, using either a rattail comb or a dryer comb attachment. I finish with my ceramic flat iron. northernbelle

[/ QUOTE ]

Northernbelle, does the rattail comb cause u any breakage or do u use it very slowly? Do you wear you hair mostly straight?

If you do a rollerset, do u use the comb attachment or rattail comb? If so, does your hair come out curly?

Sorry for all the questions...I'm just trying to learn

[/ QUOTE ]

No problem, Poohbear.

I use the rattail comb carefully and slowly. Remember, I have already dried my roots from sitting under the hood dryer. So, the rattail comb is really to finish and smooth the roots. I observed the JC Penney stylist who styles my hair do this. I should mention that while my hair is still wet, I apply a serum. This helps to protect the hair from the heat, as well as leave it smooth.

As for roller setting, I have not performed a wet roller set on my hair in months. After my hiatus from the LHCF, I returned to the drying method I describe above. I do, however, roller set my hair at night, which I alternate with wrapping my hair. I wear my hair straight, although the roller set gives the hair body. My hair is fine, and so it tends to go limp and flat after a few days. I use large rollers, so that the hair does not get too tight and curly.

When I performed the wet roller sets,and with fairly large rollers, and my hair came out curly, at which point I needed to relax the curl by doing a wrap with the paddle brush. I found, however, that I lost what I considered to be a bit too much hair for my taste. So, I have stopped roller setting. I figure I would allow the pros to do this.LOL! I find that my current method has been far less stressful on my hair. It also looks prettier, too, in my opinion.

northernbelle

Poohbear

Thanks so much Northernbelle! My hair is fine/thin as well. I might have to use your technique if I dont wanna do a rollerset for the week.

northernbelle

Great!

One more thing: just before I put myself under the hood dryer, I apply the serum to wet hair, comb through first with a wide tooth comb, or a hair pick, which is what I use, followed by a comb through with the rattail comb.

northernbelle

Poohbear

I protect my hair as well before blowdrying...after shampooing, I put in my leave-in then a glossing polish and comb with my wide tooth comb as well...I sometimes use my rattail comb

webby

Think Slim

I have been doing my own Dominican blowouts for a few years now and I can tell you that practice is the key.
If you can't get the rollers nice and tight, then blowing out the hair will help.

Also, I only blow out my roots, as I don't like to stress my ends or add any unnecessary heat to them. Plus, this way gives my hair more body.

kitchen_tician

I've never done a "Dominican Blowout", but I do blow dry my hair with a hand held blow dryer and plastic brush. I don't know how to use a round brush with out it getting tangled in my hair. I have a pic of the brush in my album and results of my blow drying.

my blow dry

blow dry brush

JuJuBoo

Child of THE King!

I blow dry my hair every time I wash with a comb attachment. I find it to be MUCH faster and there's no risk of getting the comb or brush tangled in the hair. I only blow dry with a comb when I'm forced to. For example, if I'm at a hotel and was too lazy to back my blow drier I'll blow dry with the hotel blow drier and a comb. Other than that, it's all about the attachment!

SweetNic_JA

jujuboo your hair looks great. Your length is cute and the body/shine is hot.

Webby, Jujuboo, Kitchen_itian what products do you use for your blow out? I'd love to know.

thanks

kitchen_tician

I use WGO and Fantasia IC Liquid Leave-In. The leave-in also serves as a heat protectant.