Shopping for...BRUSHES

Lilydrake

We combed through tons to find the BEST BRISTLES for you. BY LAURA KENNEY on SEVENTEEN FEBRUARY 2000

WHAT YOU WANT
To blow-dry your locks stick straight.

WHAT TO LOOK FOR
An OVAL OR RECTANGULAR PADDLE BRUSH with nylon or natural bristles, or a combination of both.

TIPS & TRICKS
For a sleek look, USE THE BRUSH TO HOLD HAIR STRAIGHT AND TAUT AS YOU BLOW-DRY. Finish with a naturalpbristle bursh, for a supershiny mane.
--

WHAT YOU WANT
To give thick tresses a natural look with little or no extra volume.

WHAT TO LOOK FOR
A brush with a RUBBER HEAD and PLASTIC BRISTLES.

TIPS & TRICKS
KEEP YOUR HEAD UPRIGHT AS YOU STYLE--tipping you head over builds body you may not want or need.
--

WHAT YOU WANT
To give your fine or wavy locks smoothness and body.

WHAT TO LOOK FOR
A LARGE ROUND BRUSH WITH A METAL BARREL (the heat of your blow-dryer will warm the barrel, which helps set your 'do).

TIPS & TRICKS
The size of brush you need depends on the length of your hair: CHOOSE A BIGGER BRUSH FOR LONGER HAIR, a smaller one for a short cut.
--

WHAT YOU WANT
A timesaving styler.

WHAT TO LOOK FOR
A VENT brush with long plastic bristles.

TIPS & TRICKS
The VENTS ALLOW AIR FROM YOUR BLOW-DRYER TO PASS THROUGHT THE BRUSH, giving wet strands a jump-start on the drying process.
--

WHAT YOU WANT
The brush for styling short hair and bangs.

WHAT TO LOOK FOR
A SMALL , FLAT PADDLE BRUSH to fix short layers and straight bangs. Choose a mini metal-barrel round brush to tame a cowlick or up volume.

TIPS & TRICKS
When STYLING SHORTER PIECES, SET YOU DRYER ON LOW--since a super blast of hot air will blow short hair off the brush.
--

WHAT YOU WANT
The right tool to de-kink your tresses.

WHAT TO LOOK FOR
A FLAT, RECTANGULAR PADDLE BRUSH, or one with a rotating handle (so the bristles won't get snarled in your stands).

TIPS & TRICKS
Water worsens tangles, so BRUSH YOUR MEDUSA-MANE BEFORE BATHING. To avoid postshower knots, towel-dry and brush your hair from ends to roots.

BRUSH BASICS
Depending on how you use it, a brush can lost us to 25 years (provided you don'tl lose it first)! You'll know it's time to toss your brush when it starts to lose bristles or begins to look worn-down. Keep your brush in mint condition by regularly removing snarled strands and giving it a good scrub once a week. To clean your brush, soak the bristles (be careful not to submerge the entire head or you could trap water inside the brush which leads to rooting) in tepid, soapy water; if the bristles are natural, follow up with conditioner. Then rinse the brush thoroughly and let it air-dry (if you're in a hurry, speed up the process with a blow-dryer).

miss_brown

Thanks for the info! Most of what she said sounded good except for this part...

[ QUOTE ]
WHAT YOU WANT

WHAT TO LOOK FOR
A FLAT, RECTANGULAR PADDLE BRUSH, or one with a rotating handle (so the bristles won't get snarled in your stands).

TIPS & TRICKS
Water worsens tangles, so BRUSH YOUR MEDUSA-MANE BEFORE BATHING. To avoid postshower knots, towel-dry and brush your hair from ends to roots.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wet hair is much easier to tangle since it's so much more pliabe and I'm still scared of Revo style brushes. Whatever, to each her own...

soslychic

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the info! Most of what she said sounded good except for this part...

[ QUOTE ]
WHAT YOU WANT

WHAT TO LOOK FOR

TIPS & TRICKS

[/ QUOTE ]

Wet hair is much easier to tangle since it's so much more pliabe and I'm still scared of Revo style brushes. Whatever, to each her own...

[/ QUOTE ]

I must have misunderstood. She said water worsens tangles and you said wet hair is easier to tangle. Isn't that the same thing?

CaramelKiss

Great article Lilydrake, thank u!!

northernbelle

I have read time and again that natural boar bristle brushes are the best for hair, and that the most reputable manufacturers of such brushes are Mason and Pearson and Denman, both of England.

I own a Denman, and my brother, a Mason and Pearson. The best!

Both brushes are an investment, but well worth it.

northernbelle