For those who stretch.....Long

Traycee

Ok .....ladies I'am 7 weeks since last relaxer..I have a little over an inch of new growth. I want to stretch longer but I'm scared. My new growth is pretty soft and I have not had any breakage because of deep conditioning and prepoos....(I think)
My question is ...some women have complained of breakage...Why is this?.....
Do I continue what I'm doing see regimen below or do I wash and co wash less?
Do I co-wash more?
Should I be putting something directly to new growth..like oils or something?

:help:Please help ......Tips on how to not get breakage would really help a sister out..

My regimen:

Wash hair with shampoo 1x a week
Prepoo overnight 2x to 3x a week b4 every wash or co-wash
co wash 1x to 2x a week
Deep condition under heating cap after every wash or co-wash
Air Dry
Protein 2x a month
Clarify 1x a month
Moisturize and seal ends every night
Wear protective styles( Buns and French Rolls)
I love braid-outs
Relax every 8 to 10 weeks

Products:
Nexxus Therappe, Aloe Rid , Headress, Humectress
Neutrogena Triple Moisture(deep recovery hair mask)
ORS Hair Mayonnaise
Suave Humectant conditioner( co-washes)
Victoria Secret SO SEXY conditioner for dry hair (co-washes)
Unrefined Pure Coconut Oil ( mix w/conditioner for prepoo & used for moisture) I also Mix Peppermint oil, and Rosemary oil with Coconut oil and conditioner for prepoo
Profectiv Healthy Ends ( Moisturize ends- Seal ends w/Coconut oil or olive oil)
Just for me (no lye relaxer)
Satin/Silk Pillow Case/ silk bonnets

Dogmd

Hi there... I have just decided to try to stretch today as well.. I bought my relaxer last week and was determined to apply it this week, but today when I got out of the shower, my new growth was soo soft...I decided to go for another week, then re-evaluate. what i have been doing is keeping my new growth oiled with various oils. I found that shikakai oil keeps my hair super soft. Vatika oil helps as well. The hair balm by Carol's daughter has been my best friend this week because it softened all of my hair. I am a 4b relaxed with Phyto index 2. Soo... my plan now is to stretch to 12 weeks. that is only 14 more days for me. Wishing you luck!!

I also just decided to use some of the Aveda Sap Moss shampoo and conditioner that I had under the sink and it worked wonders. I just used a tiny amount of shampoo and I thought it would cause my new growth to clamp down on me...but my fingers just glided thru my hair. I then rinsed and applied a small amount of the Aveda Sap Moss conditioner and let it sit on my hair of 5 minutes. I detangled my hair effortlessly and rinsed and now I am air drying my hair. I definatley recommend this Sap Moss line for stretching. I remember reading in Carolyn Gray's book, how she rotates it into her regimen...but can't remember which week she uses it in her 8 week rotation. Anyway...good luck to ya!

amwcah

Hi Traycee! It seems like your regimen is working thus far since you haven't had any breakage. I say continue what you are doing. Of course, you should be keeping the demarcation line extremely moisturized. This is where the new growth and the relaxed hair meet. At this line, the hair is different textures. See http://www.growafrohairlong.com/demarcation.html for more information on this. Also, there is a support thread for relaxer stretchers. You may want to read through this thread as well http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=118195&highlight=support+thread

BTW I'm 20 weeks post relaxer.

Traycee

Hi Traycee! It seems like your regimen is working thus far since you haven't had any breakage. I say continue what you are doing. Of course, you should be keeping the demarcation line extremely moisturized. This is where the new growth and the relaxed hair meet. At this line, the hair is different textures. See http://www.growafrohairlong.com/demarcation.html for more information on this. Also, there is a support thread for relaxer stretchers. You may want to read through this thread as well http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=118195&highlight=support+thread

BTW I'm 20 weeks post relaxer.

Thank you!!

Tamrin

unapologetic
In order to stretch long I recommend you do braids or kinky twists. I just finished a 31 week stretch yesterday. and Im starting another one. I liked the results I got. The Key is Low manipulation, conditioning and moisture. Youhave to baby your hair during that time. The Link that was posted earlier is one of the things that helped me a great deal. Not having to comb the hair constantly does make the stretch go smoother. Good luck.

C