For those who take care of their own hair

Tonya

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
ThursdayGirl said:
you're a good one Tonya. I tried using the stove and marcels and burned out two places in my hair....

I mean... burned...as in ... it looked like I took some scissors and cut chunks out.

Any tips on how to keep this from happening? How did you learn when the iron was too hot...versus not hot enough?

[/ QUOTE ]

Girl u knwo I understand.
i remeber when I was about 13 and my mom had cute me my first bangs ever and I sneaked and got my grandma's marcels let them get smoking hot and attempted to curl my bang they broke off and were about and inch long...boy I will never forget how I looked becuase not only did I not have any bangs but I had little "bristles" stickign up in the front for a month or two until they grew into Chinese bangs.

Ok the thing I do is let it get warm...then I test it on my hair. I never take it stright from the stove to my hea I usually tap it on my hand, blow it and'or if it appears to be smoking I keep a white paper towel handy and I place the curler/ comb against the paper towel. If the curlers are too hot the paper towel will turn brown but NEVER PUT SMOKING CURLERS IN YOUR HEAD this usually mean they are too hot. I have also found u are less liekly to burn you hair if u use the marcel stove nad not the kitchen stove I guess the way the stove is made it heats it just right. I ahve not burned my hair is years. I cna even flip my hair. I do not use alot of oil either ebcause it can drip o your scalp and cause burns so I use light oil.

Did I answer your question? I knwo I cna go on and on....and on and on...
Let me knwo if u need more indepth instructions.

Lucia

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
pebbles said:
I finally took responsibility for my own hair when I realized that I was spending a lot of money at the salon and getting nowhere. It was frustrating. The desire to know why my hair couldn't grow and why I had so much breakage finally took over. I'm glad I finally took control. My hair has been the better for it. &lt;img src="/images/graemlins/smile.gif" alt="" /&gt;

[/ QUOTE ]
Your preaching to the choir.

lala

I took matters into my own hands b/c:

1)if I went to the salon once/wk. my hair was cut once/wk.
2)if I wanted a special conditioning treatment it was like paying my water bill.
3)although all the stylists spoke English, we were obviously speaking another dialect when it came to hairstyles, technique, etc. What I really wanted.
4)b/c my hair is always healthier and longer when I do it myself.

The only con is - I'm not saving much time though, it still takes about 4 hrs.