Former Tangle Teaser Users- COME ON IN!!

natura87

I have noticed that a lot of people have jumped off of the TT bandwagon...and rather suddenly. Bandwagons come and go, some for good reason and others becuase...well just becuase. Now I know that no 2 heads of hairs are the same and that we each have our own ways of treating our hair but I was just wondering why it may not have worked for you. I have had no problem with the TT. I rarely use it on my whole head as the lone detangling tool, I use it to get out the tough tangles but for the most part I finger detangle when my hair is wet. I use it once every 2 weeks or so. I dont see myself shelving it anytime soon becuase I have yet to see any significant problems from using it. but I just wanted your opinions

So ladies (and lurkers and maybe even gentlemen..)

How often did you use the Tangle Teaser?
Did you use it from root to tip? Tip to root?
Was it used on try or wet hair?
How were you holding/gripping it?
Did you use force or go through your hair gently?

MzPrince

I use mine once a week.

tip to root but mostly on the tip and a wide tooth comb for the rest of the sectioned hair once I've detangle the ends.

Wet while I have my conditioner on.

I put the ends of my hair flat in my hair and hold above the shaft of my hair where I usually start with the wide tooth comb.

I definitely go gentle on my ends.

lovenharmony

ET / OT Bonafide Member
I haven't stopped using the TT, but was curious as to why so many have had issues.

I use it mostly during wash day to detangle

I use it just like I would any styling tool...from tip to root.

Was it used on dry or wet hair?
Mostly used on wet hair, but sometimes used on dry hair to smooth.

I would hold the TT in one hand like how I would hold a computer mouse, and the other hand would be behind the section of hair to be brushed (think of how you would clasp your hands together in prayer).

Always gentle. If I felt any resistance, I would stop and gently pick at the tangle with the TT to release it, then continue brushing from tip to root. Once all the tangles were removed, I would brush from root to tip to smooth the hair down.

Last edited:

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
I haven't used mine in several weeks. Reasoning? The negative hype continues to stick out in my mind although I haven't experienced any issues, personally. Also, I did notice some breakage during one of the detangling sessions BUT don't really attribute it to the TT. I was having some other things going on during that session which I think was to blame. Overall, I think the tool is awesome and provides the best detangling experience ever. It smooths the hair quite nicely but...I'm on the fence now that so many have indicated it caused issues.

Previously was using every wash session. Now use wide tooth comb only. Will incorporate the TT the wash session before my TU to ensure I rid as many shed hairs as possible.

I detangle with a wide tooth comb from tip to root and use the TT to release additional shed hair by using the TT from root to tip. However, I like @lovenharmony's suggestions to use it from tip to root.

I try to never comb wet. Used it on 90% dry hair, so hair is slightly damp.

Like how I would hold a computer mouse. (perfect example @lovenharmony)

Gentle - always stopping when resistance is felt. Use my fingers or wide tooth comb to release the tangle and finish it off with the TT.

Last edited:

PPGbubbles

I stopped after one use! I know my hair and that thing murdered my strands

Once
ends to roots
I used in on freshly washed, DC'd and steamed hair.

I finger detangled first, then used a wide tooth comb, and followed with the TT
I held it in the palm of my hand.
Did you use force or go through your hair gently
I was gentle and it seemed to "glide" through my hair. when I removed the hair from the brush there were some additional shed hairs that I missed in my initial finger and wide tooth comb detangling
BUT it was full of broken strands :nono:

I could at least feel the damage the denman did. This thing was slick!

People just have to accept that everyting ain't for everbody. TT simply didnt work for my fine strands

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
I haven't used mine in a while because I'm about 12 weeks Post.

I still/may use it like weeks 1-3 Post.

The Deeper into my stretch I have been relying on other tools i.e. Bone/Seemless Combs and my Denman D24 Double Row Detangling Comb.

AmyRose92

Every week after shampooing, with slippery conditioner in my hair

ETA: I always used it after detangling with a wide tooth comb in the shower.

Always tip to root. My hair would be falling out by the droves if I did it any other way.

Wet

I would fit it in the palm of my hand as it was designed to.

The last time that I used it, I don't think I could define it as "gentle." I've seen women on YT (e.g. Naptural85?) look (to me, anyways :look:) like they just rip out those tangles, so I'm generally a lot more gentle in comparison.

I stopped using after mwedzi saw a whole bunch of little broken hairs and I decided to investigate myself before shelving it for a while. I was shocked to find so many broken little hairs. It could be moisture overload or the Tangle Teezer. I'm going to do a protein treatment soon to see if that'll reduce breakage.

Last edited:

Your Cheeziness

How often did you use the Tangle Teaser? I used a few times after wash day and anytime I needed to work through a tangle on dry hair. I used it a total of about 5 occasions over a month or so.

Did you use it from root to tip? Tip to root?Tip to root

Was it used on try or wet hair? Both

How were you holding/gripping it? I held it in the palm of my hand, like a guy holds his brush with no handle.

Did you use force or go through your hair gently? Gently. I didn't need to force it because it did an awesome job of detangling.

After a few weeks, I noticed my ends weren't twirling right. Nothing else in my regimen changed. When I got my hair blown out, there were ratchet ends EVERYWHERE. I got that cut with the quickness. So, for me, it did its job, but it basically sliced my ends. I haven't had any issues since I stopped using it.

godzooki

I don't use mine on my hair but I do use it on my DS3. He has waist length hair and the tangle teezer really does a good job on him. I've used the tt on my hair once and decided it was not for me but it's awesome on DS3's. I don't use it on my other boys. It's useless for them.

With all this talk, I will be taking a closer look at DS3's hair though.:ohwell:

metro_qt

once a week on my own hair to detangle,
every day on my wig.

from tip to root.

Used on Wet Hair, or Dry Wig.
with my dry wig, i see the most shedding...

One hand grip

Always gentle.

eta: i'm still using and loving it