Naturals, what comb/brush do you use no detangle?

sparkle25

I use a tangle teaser when I can find it, and I notice less hair loss when detangling. I want NO hair loss but I think the loss that I do experience is a combination of the wrong comb and lack of protein. I just ordered a curly girl comb from curlmart and I hope this helps. How have you detangled your hair without losing it?

Ogoma

What do you mean by hair loss? Shed hairs or breakage?

I have never not had shed hairs when detangling. For me, it is the reason I am detangling. I doubt I have ever not broken even one hair detangling either. You may not want my suggestion now :lol:, but I use HS Magic Rake comb.

Last edited:

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint
I use my fingers twice a month and my HS Magic Rake twice a month. (I detangle once every 7 - 10 days on wash days). The comb does a more thorough job of getting the sheds...especially since they like to hang out near my roots. I finger detangle before using the comb though.

There's never a wash day where I don't see a few pieces of broken hair. As long as they're not excessive and I'm clearly retaining over time, I'm fine.

Dayjoy

Old School Member
I use a tangle teaser when I can find it, and I notice less hair loss when detangling. I want NO hair loss but I think the loss that I do experience is a combination of the wrong comb and lack of protein. I just ordered a curly girl comb from curlmart and I hope this helps. How have you detangled your hair without losing it?

I went to curlmart and didn't see this. What does it look like?

kupenda

Depends on what im going for. I get smoother twist and curks when I detange with my denman. My curls pop and clump nicely. But I dont always feel like using the denman, it takes konger than my fingers. Although its much more thorough. In the shower, I use a wide tooth comb with a rat tail I got from hair sense

NaturallyATLPCH

I use my fingers twice a month and my HS Magic Rake twice a month. (I detangle once every 7 - 10 days on wash days). The comb does a more thorough job of getting the sheds...especially since they like to hang out near my roots. I finger detangle before using the comb though.

There's never a wash day where I don't see a few pieces of broken hair. As long as they're not excessive and I'm clearly retaining over time, I'm fine.

Same exact routine here! HS twice, fingers twice. Sometimes I will use the HS comb if I get lazy, but I have noticed less hair in the comb when I use it. It just glides through. It was worth the investment.

I only comb/detangle on wash days.

kandake

I use a shower comb.

NubianPrize

I use Tangle Teezer, MagicStar rake, & Ouidad Double Detangler. The rake gets used the most, esp when I use a condish with a lot of slip.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

snoop

I use seamless combs as well, but I find that if I'm not careful about how I hold the comb and which direction I'm combing with (i.e. bending hair at an angle) then I get more breakage.

havilland

Magical Mythical Princess

ditto....

i use my fingers mainly and then once a month i run a big huge wide tooth comb through to the root to remove all the shed hair that gets stuck in there.

i don't usually get breakage unless i forget to oil my dry hair before attempting to detangle.

tangle teezer and the like are way to harsh on my cuticles. i can't use anything like that:nono:

Healthb4Length

I use the Magic Star Jumbo comb, Lady Star and my Denman Vent Brush. I like them all and each are used for different kinds of detangling (wet vs. dry).

snookes

Paddle brush mostly and magic star rake comb always on well moisturized hair.

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
I use a medium sized rat tail comb after I separate my hair sith my fingers (harping).

Wide tooth combs leave too many shed strands and when that happens my tiny coils hang on to healthy strands and create impossible knots at the roots.