Fresh Start After Heat Damage

Hello,

I'm still pretty new here but I posted most recently in the Heat Trained Naturals Support Group. After years of being 100% chemical free I started flat ironing regularly. I did this for a few years without any obvious damage and with continued length retention. But in the last year I started noticing an extreme loss of curl pattern along with breakage. I cut my hair to a pixie hoping to make a fresh start but was still flat ironing. Enough was enough so I decided to Big Chop again and I am so happy. I have been a fan of shorter hair for awhile now so the length is not a dramatic move for me. I do want to grow it out but no longer than shoulder length un-stretched. My ideal is still a bob look. When my hair is super long I only enjoy doing updos. I figure I can stretch my hair via twisting out to achieve those looks and still maintain a cropped length visually on a regular basis.

I have been going with a really simple routine and that is what always works for me. I just use conditioner to style. Right now it is Suave Naturals Coconut. I would like to find something more organic but this is the best conditioner I have found for this purpose. I tried the Shea Moisture Restorative Conditioner but I like it better for a deep conditioner/rinse-out. It is too heavy and dries hard. Gel works but I just feel it's not a necessity and isn't that good for my hair and builds up. My styling process is inspired by the Tightly Curly method. Every morning I moisten my hair with water, add more conditioner, I then add a tiny amount of oil, and twist the curls with my fingers. I think it is the combination of product with technique that gets such great results. My hair is light, clean to the touch, soft, shiny, and super defined. I am very happy. In the pic the hair on top is still too straight/heat damaged so I flexirod set it. The sides and back are all virgin 4a hair. At my current length I have to basically refresh each curl but it is so quick I don't mind and it keeps me looking "new" daily. As my hair gets longer I will still finger curl it and it will last like a week with daily touch ups.

I have transitioned from a relaxer, texturizer, and now natural heat damage. It took years to fully get it, but I am now never ever ever ever trying to straighten again. I threw away my flat iron today and any other tool associated with straightening. I will maybe do a roller set on occasion, but that is as far as it goes. My issue was not being unhappy with my texture, but just boredom. I think now that there are endless resources about styles beyond a fro and a puff, I will not feel the need to straighten to change it up. I also think a flattering cut is critical. I have been self cutting for years, but I think when I get more length and reach the "awkward phase" and beyond, I will find an expert stylist so my look stays sharp and shaped.

I hope this advice helps someone.

Attachments

• IMG_1383.JPG
    IMG_1383.JPG
    120.7 KB · Views: 75
Glad you found what works for you.

Finally, haha! I mean I've been 100% natural for about 10 years total with about 5 years of chemical/heat mishaps. The funny thing is my regimen now is so similar to what I did when I first went natural 15 years ago. I had no info and just kinda went by instinct and kept it super simple. My hair grew so fast and was super healthy. I don't remember ever feeling like it was stressful. I think I just needed to learn more styles because I felt limited. Now I can just watch a tutorial and get a whole different vibe. I already have a whole list of things I wanna try and that is so liberating. I feel like the care is easy if you don't overcomplicate it. Minimalism and inspiration are key.

Back