Heat Damage???

delitefulmane

Before joining this board I liked receiving hard presses from my beautician but after reading about heat damage I am less inclined to let her do it. When I went recently I was so scared of obtaining heat damage I was like "WHOA BUDDY!!" I made her lightly press my hair and then sit me back under the dryer to get it straighter. So I guess my question is "Can hair heat damage return to its natural curl pattern or will it stay that way?" And what can you do to recover it?

tiffers

Whisper "bleep boop" to yourself when you're sad.
From what I've read here, the concensus is to cut it off. Once hair is severely damaged from heat, there's no turning back. Especially for naturals, because the hair never regains it's curly texture again.

DivaEsq

I don't use a flat iron anymore b/c of this. where the damage is in my hair it is not practical to cut it off. I say stay away from the press. I know go to a Dominican Salon when I want my hair straight.

BrockStar

I don't use a flat iron anymore b/c of this. where the damage is in my hair it is not practical to cut it off. I say stay away from the press. I know go to a Dominican Salon when I want my hair straight.

Your hair is so pretty! What happened with the flat iron that caused the damage? Was it not using protection? Too much heat? Thanks!

delitefulmane

Your hair is so pretty! What happened with the flat iron that caused the damage? Was it not using protection? Too much heat? Thanks!

Thanx:grin: but I dun think it was the flat iron. Ithink it has come from my hard presses!! I am gonna be posting pictures soon in my fotki of my hair. One side has a curl pattern and the other is nearly straight!! IT looks weird tryna be natural with only one side!! :wallbash:

NewYorkgyrl

So I guess my question is "Can hair heat damage return to its natural curl pattern or will it stay that way?" And what can you do to recover it?

IMO.....No it can't. I got my hair straightened ONE time (and it was a LIGHT Press-blowdry and light curl witha marcel iron) and some my hair NEVER reverted. It is bone straight with no frizz or curl pattern, and it has been over a month-still no change. I have come to the conclusion that my hair is not meant to be straightened. But it seems to work for some people though.

Last edited:

momi

It also depends on the texture of your hair. My hair has two distinct textures - the parts that are more curly have not reverted due to my weekly flat ironing. The dryer coarser parts are almost stick straight right along my front hairline.

Fine 4s

It also depends on the texture of your hair. My hair has two distinct textures - the parts that are more curly have not reverted due to my weekly flat ironing. The dryer coarser parts are almost stick straight right along my front hairline.

Yep. The kinky sections of my hair are stick straight and the loser areas can revert back no problem. It's as if straighter hair textures can take heat more than kinkier hair. Hmmm...

I'm chosing to grow out my heat damage from years of either pressing or going to the Dominican salons. The DR salons were less damaging however.

tenjoy

Dont step on my neck.................:grin:

But if you like it striaght most of the time, IMO relaxing is less damaging than the heat.:look:

Fine 4s

But if you like it striaght most of the time, IMO relaxing is less damaging than the heat.:look:

You know I thought about this for the longest time. In fact now that I've learned so much about relaxers I wonder If it would be much easier and healthier to reach my goal with a relaxer. Although, I must say I like my natural styles a bit more than my straight hair.

NuMe2004

After reading this, I guess my hair is heat damaged too then :cry:.

I flat iron as often as once a week and have noticed that there are parts of my hair that are permanently straight. My curl pattern has loosened up quite a bit too.

I actually don't mind looser curls in a sense. I just wanna make sure that I can still rock my curls when I want to. I think it may be an issue of going back to my curl activator...Ill try it out and let you know ;).

momi

That may be true for some... but not my hair.

I wear my hair straight these days 100% of the time, but my hair is the healthiest it has evern been and I also retain more length. Also, I like to color my hair and it is much stronger without the relaxer.

NuMe2004

That may be true for some... but not my hair.

I wear my hair straight these days 100% of the time, but my hair is the healthiest it has evern been and I also retain more length. Also, I like to color my hair and it is much stronger without the relaxer.

Yeah, me too :). You can definitely play around with color more when you don't have a relaxer.