Frustrated - I Need Styling help - transitioning hair won't hold braid out!

ThursdayGirl

I have been transitioning now for almost 8 months. I have learned how to handle my hair... but.. I am getting a little frustrated with the styling aspect of my natural hair. Its bad enough that sometimes I think about going back to a relaxer... or texturizing... EXCEPT... I see those cute little coils when my hair is wet... and fall in :love: again (sadly many of those coils turn to frizz when my hair dries :( ).

So to get through transitioning...I have been doing braid-outs a couple of times a week. Here's the dilema. My relaxed hair has nice silky looking waves... the natural hair...shows no texture definition and just turns into a kinky looking frizz. No waves... So the difference between my textures is still really obvious. I am not ready for a big chop... I don't want to do braids... andI don't want to get wiggy with it.

Any tips from those of you who do nice natural braidouts or have good success styling 4a/4b natural hair?

I have been using Ultra hydrating balm (Biolage) as my leave-in (a dab'll do you)... I was using keracare setting lotion...but have since found out...that my hair doesn't like it so much any more... even after clarifying. The Ultra HB is enough to get nice waves with my relaxed hair... but my natural hair is like "Hizzell no!" I think once I am all natural it will be a little better... I could just wear it curly... or something.

moda

For my braidouts I use a creamy leave in currently that would be Black n Sassy Caribbean Creme, and lately I have also been adding S curl, that helps to give me a more moisturized and defined braidout. I normally rebraid nightly to help the style stay fresh, and I only braid my hair in 4 braids, which makes my hair have bigger waves.

caligirl

The trick for definition is to let your hair dry COMPLETLY before unbraiding. Also, get your natural hair nice and smooth before braiding (with fine tooth comb or denman brush).

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
my transitioning hair wouldn't hold a braid out either!!! i ended up cutting the relaxed hair off!!!

ladymadonna

Try the following for your braids outs:

Kemi Oyl Pro Gel Plus--Use SPAIRINGLY!!!! A little goes a long way.

Fantasia Frizz Buster, Straightening Gel - don't let the name fool you! Excellent definition with this gel

Fantasia IC Hair Polisher Styling Gel

Pre Con Gel

ThursdayGirl

Cool thanks for the input... I have some of that Fantasia gel... maybe I will try it next time... if that doesn't work I may try the Proclaim...

any other suggestions?

chocolate01

nchristina said:
Your going to need a better holding agent, try proclaim aloe styling gel (clear).
hope that helps

I agree on the holding agent. I really like Paul Mitchell sculpting foam and foaming pomade.