Further and further into a stretch, what changes for you?

sharifeh

I refuse to give up on long stretches. I'm 7 weeks post right now and was wondering what changes for you all as you get further and further into your stretch.
Less manipulation or more?
Do you up the DCing to keep your NG moisturized?
Do you detangle more often?
Could all the successful long stretchers share what you do when times get rough?

TIA

aquajoyice

I'm currently 13 weeks and is stretching for 6 months (hopefully) I've noticed that I have to DC at least once to twice a week. I seperate my hair in section like i'm putting on a relaxer and apply the conditioner mix to my newgrowth then down to my ends. I use a lot of honey, coconut oil, EVOO and Aloe Vera to soften the new growth. I only detangle in the shower with conditioner and running water. Afterwards I coat my hair with coconut/EVOO oil nad put on a hair wrap. It helps my hair to stay mosturized and lay me ends flat. I also do a lot of protective styling to minimize manipulation as much as possible. Hope this helps :)

audacity.

i'm currently 27 weeks post and i can honestly say that not much changes for me the further along i get into a stretch. my hair is definitely thicker and at this point if i take my hair down, i really can't put it in a decent looking bun w/o it being wet...i find that i'm co-washing less and doing more water rinses, though. but as far as completely revamping my regimen? nope. everything is pretty much the same - i seem to use a lot more product the further i get into a stretch so i guess that's something that changes, too.

i don't find that caring for my NG is any different than caring for the rest of my hair.

Traycee

I notice my hair needs more protein further into my stretches, I deep condition more and low manlipulation is a must...I also have to moisturize my newgrowth often to keep them soft and to avoid breakage

SherylsTresses

:spinning: I have to detangle, shampoo and apply conditioner in sections as a relaxer also. Daily moisturiszing and low manipulation is a MUST so scarf method and buns it is...... My ends seem to get dry and brittle. I believe it's because my hair is overprocessed. :drunk:

scoobygirl

Dryness and tangles are the two biggest problems I face further and further into a stretch. I don't DC that often but my WEN is pretty good for keeping the NG soft. Sometimes I lose some of the shine I have early on but I have mostly learned how to fight that with cold water rinses, no-poo washing and light oils. But on the upside I don't have any major problems with shedding or breakage doing long stretches and I feel my hair is healthier overall for stretching. The longest I ever stretched was 14 weeks and my average is 10-12 weeks.

SuchMagnificent

Taking a Break from Posting
I agree with the ladies above me...Even though I am relaxing this week (thank you jesus) I have been dealing with tangles, and dryness. I needed to do a light protein dc atleast once a week and also keep my daily moisturizer on deck for my new growth. I have always applied my dc in sections like a relaxer but lately its been smaller and smaller sections and more and more dc...

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
Low, Little Manipulation. More Co-Washing. Finger Combing and Detangling. Working out Knots & Tangles often. I didn't do that my first time and it was more difficult. The Second Stretch, I learned that Lesson.:drunk:

And Keeping your NG Strong with Protein Treatments. Balancing everything out with Moisture. Deep Conditioning Treatments also Help. As well as finding a good daily Moisturizer.

Moisturize. Moisturize. Moisturize. But Don't Overlook Your Protein especially on the line of Demarcation.

The Deeper you get into your Stride, you got to Really Listen to your hair. Your products and Regimen can change Day-to-Day. Week-to-week.:yep:

prospurr4

I don't change much at all. I'm texlaxed so I always have lots of "texture" to my hair; NG is just a bit tighter. So, I practice daily moisture and low manipulation 24-7.

pri

Nothing is really changing for me yet at 15 weeks post and hopefully it'll stay this way. Just making sure to stay on top of my protein/moisture balance to keep my hair both strong and moisturized and leaving my hair alone is definitely helping and not causing too much stress on it by too much manipulation..so I'm finding out that for me less is best when strecthing.

locabouthair

The further I get into my stretch, thr dryer my hair gets. I'm 12 weeks post and its gettign dryer and dryer.

Also, low mani is a must with long stretches. I dont know why I thought I could handle my hair the same way like if I got a fresh touch up.

sharifeh

my hair gets dryer and dryer too especially the new growth
for those that apply DC like a relaxer, how are you doing that?
sectioning into 4 and then putting DC on the ng with your hands?
do you use a brush?
TIA!

SouthernStunner

My 13yr old Men
I am 10 months post and what changes for me is that I cant use the watery condis anymore I need something thick with lots of slip. Aussie and WEN are good I also rotate my cowash with protein cowashes. Up my DC to 2x a week with my steamer.

I am normally in braids so I will cowash everyday which helps with moisture so when I am not in braids I dont have dry hair issues.

ellehair

further into my stretch, i just have to leave my hair alone and up the DC's because its so hard to do anything with all of the new growth,..

Aggie

For me, much lower manipulation is a must. I have fine strands and dealing with multiple textures is not easy so therefore I protective style my hair quite a bit - braids, cornrows, wigs, etc. I section off my hair in 4 big plaits, detangle while dry, braid it all up, wash and DC with the plaits still braided up, airdry and style as usual. I hardly ever comb my hair while in a long relaxer stretch. I will be 25 weeks post tomorrow. I don't even wash it too much - once every 7-10 days is enough for me.

ETA: I must say that I moisturize my hair with my moisturizer from a spritzer bottle. I just spray it on and forget it and I do this twice, sometimes 3 times a day - still no manipulation needed.

Last edited:

sharifeh

:spinning: I have to detangle, shampoo and apply conditioner in sections as a relaxer also. Daily moisturiszing and low manipulation is a MUST so scarf method and buns it is...... My ends seem to get dry and brittle. I believe it's because my hair is overprocessed. :drunk:
how many sections?

Dryness and tangles are the two biggest problems I face further and further into a stretch. I don't DC that often but my WEN is pretty good for keeping the NG soft. Sometimes I lose some of the shine I have early on but I have mostly learned how to fight that with cold water rinses, no-poo washing and light oils. But on the upside I don't have any major problems with shedding or breakage doing long stretches and I feel my hair is healthier overall for stretching. The longest I ever stretched was 14 weeks and my average is 10-12 weeks.

I can hardly comb my hair at this point. I'm 12 weeks post, closer to 13.

The further I get into my stretch, thr dryer my hair gets. I'm 12 weeks post and its gettign dryer and dryer.

Also, low mani is a must with long stretches. I dont know why I thought I could handle my hair the same way like if I got a fresh touch up.

ya my hair is super dry at this point

taz007

ETA: I must say that I moisturize my hair with my moisturizer from a spritzer bottle. I just spray it on and forget it and I do this twice, sometimes 3 times a day - still no manipulation needed.

Aggie, what moisturizer do you use?