Gabrielle Union comments on hair

Armyqt

I bought the April issue of Sophisticates Black Hair care yesterday and had a feature on Gabrielle Union. When asked the secret behind her stunning lengths she replied:

"I grew up reading Sophisticates Black Hair and I'd take pictures of celebrities in the magazine to my cousin who did my hair when I was growing up", recounts the Nebraska native. "I'd say, 'That's what I want, and she'd say, 'You can't get that look with your hair; you have to add pieces. 'And I'd be so dissapointed I couldn't achieve the styles of those celebrities who swore up and down it was their hair. So I swore I'd never lie and say it was all my hair or I didn't wear pieces."

Now I just had to post those comments, cause it's quite refreshing to hear someone that I admire speak so candidly about their hair. She seems very down to earth. Just wanted to share. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

pebbles

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
"I grew up reading Sophisticates Black Hair and I'd take pictures of celebrities in the magazine to my cousin who did my hair when I was growing up", recounts the Nebraska native. "I'd say, 'That's what I want, and she'd say, 'You can't get that look with your hair; you have to add pieces. 'And I'd be so dissapointed I couldn't achieve the styles of those celebrities who swore up and down it was their hair. So I swore I'd never lie and say it was all my hair or I didn't wear pieces."

[/ QUOTE ]

That was nice. Sometimes the celebrities seem to have no hair problems at all. It's very refreshing to read such candid comments from her. I like Gabrielle Union a lot too. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

diamoness

I admire the fact that she admits to wearing pieces. Many ladies featured in "black" magazines do wear weaves.....and then they mention that fact NOWHERE in their hair care regime/images/graemlins/pinocchio.gif Gabrielle Union gets much respect from me because of her courageous confession. /images/graemlins/dance7.gif

Armyqt

I see absolutely nothing wrong with adding pieces and weaves to change up your look. Women in Hollywood have been doing this before it was even available to the general public. I just hate it when these women lie about it, as if they're trying to appear to be flawless and perfect...Yeah, that's what disturbs me somewhat.

LuvableLady

I don’t see why one would need to disclose the fact that they are wearing a weave. I think that is personal and see nothing wrong with not mentioning it. If you like to disclose that type of thing that’s great but if one is asked if they are wearing a hairpiece/weave and they deny it, I do not fault the person denying it but the ignorant person for asking. I have never worn actual weaves with flowing hair but most of the time it is obvious when someone is wearing one so the need to fess up is unnecessary to me. I always assume the hair in magazines and TV has some sort of weave or piece and it doesn’t matter who’s wearing it.

This similar to makeup or foundation. Some people don’t have flawless skin so they like to wear foundation to achieve a better look, the need to tell everyone that you are wearing foundation is not necessary.

ms_kenesha

LuvableLady said:
I don’t see why one would need to disclose the fact that they are wearing a weave. I think that is personal and see nothing wrong with not mentioning it. If you like to disclose that type of thing that’s great but if one is asked if they are wearing a hairpiece/weave and they deny it, I do not fault the person denying it but the ignorant person for asking. I have never worn actual weaves with flowing hair but most of the time it is obvious when someone is wearing one so the need to fess up is unnecessary to me. I always assume the hair in magazines and TV has some sort of weave or piece and it doesn’t matter who’s wearing it.

This similar to makeup or foundation. Some people don’t have flawless skin so they like to wear foundation to achieve a better look, the need to tell everyone that you are wearing foundation is not necessary.

[/ QUOTE ]
LuvableLady,

It's not neccesary for the woman on the street to tell everyone that her hair is a weave, but if you are in a hair magazine and giving directions on how to acheive a certain look you should certainly put in the directions to add hair if that's what you did. That's the problem with the weaves in the hair magazine if you're showing a style and it's a weave say it's a weave so people won't wonder how come there hair doesn't end up like that!

Allandra

diamoness said:
I admire the fact that she admits to wearing pieces. Many ladies featured in "black" magazines do wear weaves.....and then they mention that fact NOWHERE in their hair care regime/images/graemlins/pinocchio.gif Gabrielle Union gets much respect from me because of her courageous confession.

[/ QUOTE ]
D I T T O

pebbles

It's not neccesary for the woman on the street to tell everyone that her hair is a weave, but if you are in a hair magazine and giving directions on how to acheive a certain look you should certainly put in the directions to add hair if that's what you did. That's the problem with the weaves in the hair magazine if you're showing a style and it's a weave say it's a weave so people won't wonder how come there hair doesn't end up like that!

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with that. The average woman with a weave does not have to tell if she's wearing a weave or not; that's her private business. But if someone is being featured in a hair magazine and giving tips, I think she should be truthful about her hair. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Allandra

ms_kenesha said:

[/ QUOTE ]
Well said Kenesha. I definitely agree. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

henrilou

I AGREE. If you are going to be in a hair mag--then let us know how to REALLY do it. Just like if you're in a style mag, and they ask you your make-up tips and you say, "oh I don't wear make-up..." Sorry, I'm babbling, but it annoys me too when certain celebs act as if ALL that hair was their own. C'mon now.

Jenai

henrilou said:
I AGREE. If you are going to be in a hair mag--then let us know how to REALLY do it. Just like if you're in a style mag, and they ask you your make-up tips and you say, "oh I don't wear make-up..." Sorry, I'm babbling, but it annoys me too when certain celebs act as if ALL that hair was their own. C'mon now.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Paris Belle

Yes, this really irks me too. I won't say who, but I never thought it was ALL of their hair and they blatantly lied about it. I would see pictures of their hair one length and then a month later it was flowing down their back. I'm not saying they never eventually achieved length, but not all of it in a short time period.

Just be real, people will love you anyway.. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

ngaa

that is so true carmenrose and much love to gabrielle union for bein woman enuf to admit wen she's wearin a weave

ngaa /images/graemlins/drunk.gif

LuvableLady

You ladies are right, if they are featured in a hair magazine then it would be nice if they said “I’m wearing a weave” so that people are not disappointed if they can’t achieve that same style with their natural hair. I didn’t look at it this way. Thanks! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

henrilou

I read your post Luv, and I see your point. Its nobody's business what's going on with my hair, make-up. However, if a ceeb is going to SEEK publicity by appearing in a hair/make-up mag, THEN you are MAKING it my business to ask what's going on with that celebs personal routine.