Garnier Fructis line??

natstar

Since I can't find th search option :mad: I thought I'd ask u ladies:

Have any of you use the Garnier fructis line? (Like the deep condish etc. I am thinking of picking it up today (It's on sale)

Give me your thoughts, especially if u are natural and use it.

Natstar

I'm relaxed but I use them for CO washes. When I went on vacation with the family my sister-in-law let me use her shampoo and conditioner for two nights in a row (we are at the beach and I left my bag w/ hair products) and my hair was fine, nothing special.

it's nice, but from my experience the deep conditioner contains a lot of cones so you might need to clarify more often than normal. I stopped using it because of the buildup, but overal can get the job done :up:

I agree with Dee. I've used the long and strong and for a couple of days my hair feel wonderful but afterthat I have to poo. But I really like because when I use the long and strong I have no breakage. Oh yeah, I'm relaxed though.

I made a beauty basket of stuff for my cousin for Christmas and it contained Garnier's 3 minute mask. She's a texturized 4b, and she loves it. She recommended it to me since I have never tried any of their stuff.

i used the deep conditioning (or fortifying) mask - the one in the small green tub. it was only okay...it wasn't my absolute favorite to be honest. it didn't really do anything or make my hair feel any softer or stronger or anything. i guess, i'm not too fond of it. i'm try to stay away from cones, BUT...i will say that matrix biolage conditioning balm is AMAZING!!!! i love it. never has something made my hair so soft. i combined it with neutrogena daily deep condish and elucence mbc (and a dash of jojoba oil). the result was soft, soft, soft. (and i've seen matrix biolage balm at target.) tho, i got the one for dry/damaged hair and i got it at a beauty supply. but i'd encourage you to try those, if you're so inclined.

wyldcurlz said:
i used the deep conditioning (or fortifying) mask - the one in the small green tub. it was only okay...it wasn't my absolute favorite to be honest. it didn't really do anything or make my hair feel any softer or stronger or anything. i guess, i'm not too fond of it. i'm try to stay away from cones, BUT...i will say that matrix biolage conditioning balm is AMAZING!!!! i love it. never has something made my hair so soft. i combined it with neutrogena daily deep condish and elucence mbc (and a dash of jojoba oil). the result was soft, soft, soft. (and i've seen matrix biolage balm at target.) tho, i got the one for dry/damaged hair and i got it at a beauty supply. but i'd encourage you to try those, if you're so inclined.
ok...stupid question....I've seen this in othe rposts too, but what are CONES????:confused:

brownsugar9999 said:
ok...stupid question....I've seen this in othe rposts too, but what are CONES????:confused:

as we learned is school - there is no such thing as a stupid question.

cones are short for silicones. most conditioners contain dimethicone or the other one (can't think of the name.) with some people's hair they can build up over time and leave a film like coating. its especially a concern if you condish wash only. some cones, though are water soluable - like amodimethicone (i think that's the water soluable one.) so they'll wash out with just water! the problem with cones is that nothing makes your hair feel softer. so you just experiment and see if cones work for you. my hair doesn't mind them, at least i haven't noticed a problem. but for my friend, it makes comb-out tougher, etc.

Blackhair- It's on sale at a Cub Foods aroun my way (IL). I think I will try the biolage as well though-the pj in me is surfacing again :(

Here's a big fat warning for ya! My store was out of NTM Triple Shine Serum so in a moment of weakness i purchased Garnier Fructis Sleek and Shine Serum...silly me didn't read the label and see that it had an alcohol product in it. My hair is usually very good with breakage and only freaks out if I haven't been doing the right things for it. :::pauses for emphasis:::

AAAH! After only one use, my hair was a dry mess and broke continuously for a whole three days! I have NEVER in my life seen breakage like that! And these three days of breakage were AFTER I had I already washed out the unGodly stuff in my frenzied panic! Word to the wise, don't use it, and read ALL labels. Alchohol (in hair products at least hehe :lol: )is never ever your friend!

HarmonySD said:
Here's a big fat warning for ya! My store was out of NTM Triple Shine Serum so in a moment of weakness i purchased Garnier Fructis Sleek and Shine Serum...silly me didn't read the label and see that it had an alcohol product in it. My hair is usually very good with breakage and only freaks out if I haven't been doing the right things for it. :::pauses for emphasis:::

AAAH! After only one use, my hair was a dry mess and broke continuously for a whole three days! I have NEVER in my life seen breakage like that! And these three days of breakage were AFTER I had I already washed out the unGodly stuff in my frenzied panic! Word to the wise, don't use it, and read ALL labels. Alchohol (in hair products at least hehe :lol: )is never ever your friend!
What kind of alcohol?? SD alc is bad for your hair b/c of the drying, but cetaryl and steracytl..(major sp) aren't drying alcohols.
cetearyl alcohol. Fatty alcohol used as an emollient, emulsifier, thickener, and carrying agent for other ingredients. Can be derived naturally, as in coconut fatty alcohol, or synthetically

alcohol. A group of organic compounds that have a vast range of forms and uses in cosmetics. In some benign forms they are glycols used as humectants that help deliver ingredients into skin. When fats and oils (See fatty acid) are chemically reduced, they become a group of less-dense alcohols called fatty alcohols that can have emollient properties or can become detergent cleansing agents. When alcohols have low molecular weights they can be drying and irritating. The alcohols to be concerned about in skin-care products are ethanol, denatured alcohol, ethyl alcohol, methanol, benzyl alcohol, isopropyl, and SD alcohol, which can be extremely drying and irritating to skin (Sources: "Skin Care—From the Inside Out and Outside In," Tufts Daily, April 1, 2002; eMedicine Journal, May 8, 2002, volume 3, number 5, www.emedicine.com; Cutis, February 2001, pages 25–27; and Contact Dermatitis, January 1996, pages 12–16).

Last edited:
My hair type - transitioning 4 inches natural hair (4A/B) 6 inches permed ends. I have tried all of the products at least twice and have tried on wet and dry hair.

Super Stiff Gel (Extra Strong) - provides absolutely no hold. My hair has been puffy even when smoothed down with a denman brush.

Smoothing Milk (Strong) - keeps my hair moist until it dries, then my hair is sticky. It doesn't smooth anything and leaves a white film that can't be brushed out.

Shake Effect Liquid Gel (Extra Strong) - provides absolutely no hold or wave definition. made my hair frizzy.

Soft Curl Cream (Strong) - has the most disgusting texture of any product I have ever used (looks and feels like mucus) used on twists - after wearing the twists for 1 day, I noticed little white bulbs on various parts of my hair.

Fortifying Deep Conditioner - I didn't notice anything special one way or the other.

I bought this crap because it was raved about on another board and they were on sale for $2 per product at Target. I won't buy another Garnier Fructis product. I don't think it's made for people with thick hair. Both my natural and relaxed hair laughed at the 'extra strong' gel.

You're absolutely right brownsugar. I don't run away from alchohols categorically, haha but this alchohol was unfortunately not one of the friendly fatty alcohols, it was the drying kind. My conditioners are full of those ceteryl (me too on the sp?) and positive alchohols I promote those 100 % ;)

HarmonySD said:
You're absolutely right brownsugar. I don't run away from alchohols categorically, haha but this alchohol was unfortunately not one of the friendly fatty alcohols, it was the drying kind. My conditioners are full of those ceteryl (me too on the sp?) and positive alchohols I promote those 100 % ;)
ewww. then poo poo on the drying etoh's

I'm natural (w/ nappy hair) and currently use the Garnier Fructis Long N Strong shampoo and the conditioner. My hair has been doing fine with them. Plus they smell good to me. But after I use them up, I probably won't purchase it again. It can sometimes be drying if you use too much. HTH!

I've bought the jar of the 3-minute deep conditioner and I thought it was ok. Nothing special like I thought it was, but the smell was great!

I bought the Long N Strong poo and con and I love it. I'm a natural who wears her hair straight and this stuff make my hair so soft, even my stylist noticed the difference. When I told her the name of it she was was like, "What is that? Did you get something from Paris?". LOL It was so funny. I also have to say I love, love, love the Sleek and Shine serum. It's the only serum I have used that actually leaves my hair soft and shiny. I have also noticed that my breakage is lessened.

Back