Getting Braids... HELP!

*C00KIE*

Okay, I am getting braids this week and I want to prepare my hair before doing so. The main reason for me wanting to do this is because I know "braiders" the people I know who braid, just braids the hair w/out any remorse, but when I go off bat I am going to tell her not to braid my hair too tight, because me and my crown are trying to work things it (its trying to come back thicker). Anyway what are something that helped you with detangling (product used), moisture upkeeping (moisturizer used), deep conditioner (product), end retention (profectiv split ends, i think thats what it is.. how is that product any good?? Also, how do you use them in your braid regime. Anything helps..

LadyPaniolo

Before braiding my hair I make sure to deep condition at least 3 times that week.

If you plan on having the braider detangle your hair, you want to make it as easy as possible for her... when I do my braids I do all kinds of things that a braider is not likely to want to do. So I'd bring a bottle of whichever detangler gives you the best results. I like Hawaiian Silky Miracle Worker. Be sure to tell her not to spray the scalp or the top 2 inches, or else the braids may slip, *especially* if you are using human hair.

If you want to really give your hair daily moisture while in braids, you have to accept that downside of that... the style won't look neat for as long. Sad but true... especially for natural heads.

I make a braid spray to use daily in a spray bottle. I put about one quarter conditioner, one quarter aloe vera juice, a little bit of tea tree oil and the rest water. I shake it up and spray it on daily. After spraying, I tie on a scarf with a loose weave that lets some air pass through, so it can dry without looking all frizzy and crazy. I do this before bedtime, since I'll be wearing a scarf anyway, and I do it once during the daytime, too.

Best of luck to you!

*C00KIE*

Thanks for taking the time to reply. What about tangles I have a couple on the ends of my hair, how can I eliminate that, before the braiding process?

LadyPaniolo

Thanks for taking the time to reply. What about tangles I have a couple on the ends of my hair, how can I eliminate that, before the braiding process?

If I were you I'd deep condition my hair at home, with a shampoo afterwards to get it really clean. Then carefully detangle it when it is wet and easier to comb. If you gently comb out the tangles on the ends, then go a little bit higher and comb, and repeat that until you get the the scalp, you should have your hair free from tangles. Then I'd section it into a few large braids and let it air dry. This is the key to air-drying without massive tangling... dry your hair in braids! Air drying loose hair is a disaster.

Anyway, you can slide on a hat or wig over your big braids and head over to the braider's. That way you don't have to worry about getting snap-crackle-pop while the braider detangles your hair, cuz it's already detangled.

*C00KIE*

If I were you I'd deep condition my hair at home, with a shampoo afterwards to get it really clean. Then carefully detangle it when it is wet and easier to comb. If you gently comb out the tangles on the ends, then go a little bit higher and comb, and repeat that until you get the the scalp, you should have your hair free from tangles. Then I'd section it into a few large braids and let it air dry. This is the key to air-drying without massive tangling... dry your hair in braids! Air drying loose hair is a disaster.

Anyway, you can slide on a hat or wig over your big braids and head over to the braider's. That way you don't have to worry about getting snap-crackle-pop while the braider detangles your hair, cuz it's already detangled.

Thank you, I think this is the key.. learn something new everyday