Getting dirt of your scalp!

spellinto

Hi ladies, just a small and slightly embarrassing question...

How do you get all of the dirt/build up off of your scalp when you shampoo?

After I shampoo, I still feel like my scalp's somewhat dirty. Sometimes I scrape my scalp lightly with my fingernail and see a white residue come off. I don't have any scalp conditions (besides the occasional dry scalp/flaking in the winter). I have thick hair and I've tried shampooing in sections but maybe I'm doing something wrong...It could also be because I use sulfate-free shampoos, but my hair seems sensitive to sulfates...

Any suggestions?

EnExitStageLeft

I think you may need to one up on clarifying and Chelate your hair. You may have accumulated buildup on your scalp and hair. That may be the reason why you were having problems with your ends. Are you a heavy cone user? That may be the reason for both.

virtuenow

I use a long nozzle color applicator bottle w/diluted (sulfate-free) shampoo. I use it on my scalp only (not my hair). It works every time. So I don't believe it has anything to do with the kind of shampoos you're using, just the technique. I would be careful of clarifying and chelating shampoo's. They can make hair dry almost beyond repair w/o proper precaution.

Last edited:

ellebelle88

You may have to lather up two or three times to make sure your scalp is clean. And yes, I also have to use my fingernails and scrubs. Just using the balls of my fingers is not good enough for me.

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
If I don't massage the scalp very well while rinsing, I'm left with buildup. This is especially true when using creamy cleansing products.

Amarilles

Make your sections smaller. My hair is very dense and this easily happens to me if the sections are too large.

Use an applicator bottle to apply directly to the scalp and focus on the scalp. Put a mirror in the bathroom, I do much better when I look at where I'm washing, as opposed to just winging it blindly.

all_1_length

I use a long nozzle color applicator bottle w/diluted (sulfate-free) shampoo. I use it on my scalp only (not my hair). It works every time. So I don't believe it has anything to do with the kind of shampoos you're using, just the technique. I would be careful of clarifying and chelating shampoo's. They can make hair dry almost beyond repair w/o proper precaution.
I second this. To go a step further I wash my hair in sections and make sure that the shampoo actually gets to my scalp. I find that washing this way gets my scalp cleaner (no residue) and it isn't prone to itching the way it used to before I adopted this method.

Mahogony7

I usually use Dr. Bonner's peppermint as my main shampoo, but when I have build-up I use a zinc/sulfur shampoo. I also use a scalp brush with pointed needles and follow-up with a tooth brush. I don't have to do this very often, but when I do my scalp shines:lol:

Since I use menthol weekly, it really helps to keep my scalp clean. Sometimes I try a new oil mix and that's when build-up occurs.

spellinto

Thank you ladies! I like the idea of creating smaller sections and using an applicator bottle to focus the shampoo more on my scalp. I think I will start off with 4 sections and divide them into smaller ones while I'm in the shower. It's also a really good idea that I clarify since it's been awhile...I usually shy away from them because they strip my hair pretty badly, but I could be overdue for a thorough scalp cleansing. Thank you all for the suggestions :)

Last edited:

HoneyBadger

I have that same issue because I co-wash so every now and then I use my orange, vinegar cleanser. It's the best scalp cleanser I've used and it's all natural which is a big plus for me. You take orange skins, soak it in enough vinegar to cover it, and leave it for 2 weeks. Works great and no carcinogens.

amberangel4u

I have that same issue because I co-wash so every now and then I use my orange, vinegar cleanser. It's the best scalp cleanser I've used and it's all natural which is a big plus for me. You take orange skins, soak it in enough vinegar to cover it, and leave it for 2 weeks. Works great and no carcinogens.

Do you then strain the liquid and use it on you scalp only ?

Dilettante

I was having that same issue (could scratch my scalp and get a little sebum and dead skin cells under my nails) and I made a scalp scrub at home that's really working for me so far. Just mix jojoba oil (I used olive, because that's all I had, but jojoba is probably better) with brown sugar. I threw in a tiny amount of apple cider vinegar, because I heard it's good for the scalp. Then I used the pads of my fingers to gently swirl the mixture all over my scalp. I let it sit for a bit and then made sure to rinse really well before cowashing. It wasn't rough or scratchy feeling at all, and I haven't had itches or residue under my nails since I used it.