Giving of the Tithe - Scripture References

Nice & Wavy

q Gen 14:19 (Abraham’s give of 10%)
q Gen 28:20-22 (Jacob decision to give 10% to God)
q Exod 35:4-29 (Moses and the people’s gifts to build the tabernacle)
q Lev 27:30 (Tithe of everything is the Lord’s)
q Lev 27:32 (Every tenth animal is the Lord’s)
q Num 18:21 (Tithes support ministers of God)
q Deut 12:5-7 (Tithes, special gifts, freewill offerings)
q Deut 14:22-29 (Set aside a tenth to learn to revere God)
q 2 Chr 31:2-12 (Hezekiah generosity & giving instructions)
q Neh 10:35-37 (Nehemiah’s giving instructions)
q Neh 12:43-47 (Faithful giving to God’s ministers)
q Neh 13:11-13 (Nehemiah’s rebuke & the results)
q Mal 3:7-12 (Holding back tithes & offerings is stealing from God)
q Matt 23:23 (Jesus’ affirmation of tithing)
q Luke 11:42 (Jesus’ affirmation of tithing)
q I Kings 17:8-16 (Elijah and the starving widow)
q Deut 8:18 (God gives people ability to produce wealth)
q Prov 3:9-10 (Honor the Lord with your wealth & firstfruits)
q Exod 36:3-6 (Moses restrains people from bringing offerings)
q Mal 1:6-14 (Malachi’s rebuke for bringing bad offerings)
q Hag 1:4-11 (Haggai’s giving challenge)
q 1 Chr 29:2-9 (David’s generous gift & giving challenge)
q 1 Chr 29:11-17 (Everything we have and gives comes from God)
q Luke 6:38 (Give and God will see others give to you)
q 2 Cor 8:2-21 (Rich generosity in the midst of extreme poverty)
q 2 Cor 9:5-15 (God loves a cheerful giver)
q Deut 28:12-13, 43-45 (Blessings & curses for obedience)
q Ps 50:9-12 (God owns everything)
q Prov 11:24-25 (Generosity is the pathway for more)
q Prov 18:9 (Slackness in giving is the same as destroying things)
q Prov 22:9 (Generous man will be blessed)
q Prov 28:22 (Stingy man is eager to get rich, but gets poverty)
q Prov 28:27 (Give and have enough, withhold and be cursed)
q Matt 6:25-34 (Don’t worry, but seek first the kingdom of God)
q Mark 12:41-44 (Rich people giving and the widow’s mite)
q Deut 16:10 (Give in proportion to the blessings the Lord has given you)
q Deut 16:16 (No man should appear before the Lord empty-handed)
q Deut 16:17 (Each person should give in proportion to the way God has blessed them)
q 1 Cor 16:2 (On the first day of each week, give according to God’s blessing)
q 1 Tim 6:6-11 (Cautions about the materialism and the love of money)
q 1 Tim 6:17-19 (Instructions to be generous and willing to share)
q 1 Sam 30:24 (Those who stay with the supplies share with those on the front lines)
q Matt 6:19-21 (Do not store up for yourselves treasure on earth – heart & treasure linked)
q Heb 6:10 (God is not unfair, He will not forget the help you gave)
q Isa 32:8 (Noble man makes noble plans)
q Acts 2:44-45 (Believers had everything in common)
q Acts 4:34-37 (No needy persons. Sale of lands and houses.)
q Rom 12:13 (Share with God's people who are in need)
q Heb 13:16 (Don’t forget to do good and share with others)
q I Jn 3:17 (Do you see brothers in need – help them)
q Luke 18:22-25 (Rich man turns away from Jesus)
q Gal 6:6 (Support financially those who teach you the Word of God)
q Matt 25:35-40 (Helping the least of the brethren is helping Jesus)
q Acts 20:35 (It is more blessed to given than to receive)
Since there are some who are questioning tithers and because I won't get into this type of discussion over in OT, but in the CF only, then I thought its fitting to begin this over here.

The one thing I'm going to stress is this: For all who choose not to give their tithes for whatever YOUR reason is, doesn't mean that those who do are wrong.

I know that give above and beyond my 10%....you would be amazed. There are so many others that do as well. I love to give and will continue as long as I have breath in me.

If this was something that the Lord didn't want us to do, why am I so blessed? Why does He continue to pour out His blessings in my life and so many others that I know of? Why? Well, I can say this....there must be something to it, or it would not happen.

Anyhoo....for those who want to understand it more and see what the Word has to say about it, be blessed with it.

Nice & Wavy

Malachi 1:14
“Cursed is that man who promises a fine ram from his flock and
substitutes a sick one to sacrifice to God. For I am a Great King," says
the Lord Almighty, "and my name is to be mightily revered among the
people of the world."

I Cronicles 29: 13-14
(David prayed to God) “God, we give you thanks, and praise your glorious name. "But who am I, and who are my people, that we should be able to give as generously as this? Everything comes from you, and we have given you only what comes from your hand.”

Last edited:

alexstin

q Gen 14:19 (Abraham’s give of 10%)
q Gen 28:20-22 (Jacob decision to give 10% to God)
q Exod 35:4-29 (Moses and the people’s gifts to build the tabernacle)
q Lev 27:30 (Tithe of everything is the Lord’s)
q Lev 27:32 (Every tenth animal is the Lord’s)
q Num 18:21 (Tithes support ministers of God)
q Deut 12:5-7 (Tithes, special gifts, freewill offerings)
q Deut 14:22-29 (Set aside a tenth to learn to revere God)
q 2 Chr 31:2-12 (Hezekiah generosity & giving instructions)
q Neh 10:35-37 (Nehemiah’s giving instructions)
q Neh 12:43-47 (Faithful giving to God’s ministers)
q Neh 13:11-13 (Nehemiah’s rebuke & the results)
q Mal 3:7-12 (Holding back tithes & offerings is stealing from God)
q Matt 23:23 (Jesus’ affirmation of tithing)
q Luke 11:42 (Jesus’ affirmation of tithing)
q I Kings 17:8-16 (Elijah and the starving widow)
q Deut 8:18 (God gives people ability to produce wealth)
q Prov 3:9-10 (Honor the Lord with your wealth & firstfruits)
q Exod 36:3-6 (Moses restrains people from bringing offerings)
q Mal 1:6-14 (Malachi’s rebuke for bringing bad offerings)
q Hag 1:4-11 (Haggai’s giving challenge)
q 1 Chr 29:2-9 (David’s generous gift & giving challenge)
q 1 Chr 29:11-17 (Everything we have and gives comes from God)
q Luke 6:38 (Give and God will see others give to you)
q 2 Cor 8:2-21 (Rich generosity in the midst of extreme poverty)
q 2 Cor 9:5-15 (God loves a cheerful giver)
q Deut 28:12-13, 43-45 (Blessings & curses for obedience)
q Ps 50:9-12 (God owns everything)
q Prov 11:24-25 (Generosity is the pathway for more)
q Prov 18:9 (Slackness in giving is the same as destroying things)
q Prov 22:9 (Generous man will be blessed)
q Prov 28:22 (Stingy man is eager to get rich, but gets poverty)
q Prov 28:27 (Give and have enough, withhold and be cursed)
q Matt 6:25-34 (Don’t worry, but seek first the kingdom of God)
q Mark 12:41-44 (Rich people giving and the widow’s mite)
q Deut 16:10 (Give in proportion to the blessings the Lord has given you)
q Deut 16:16 (No man should appear before the Lord empty-handed)
q Deut 16:17 (Each person should give in proportion to the way God has blessed them)
q 1 Cor 16:2 (On the first day of each week, give according to God’s blessing)
q 1 Tim 6:6-11 (Cautions about the materialism and the love of money)
q 1 Tim 6:17-19 (Instructions to be generous and willing to share)
q 1 Sam 30:24 (Those who stay with the supplies share with those on the front lines)
q Matt 6:19-21 (Do not store up for yourselves treasure on earth – heart & treasure linked)
q Heb 6:10 (God is not unfair, He will not forget the help you gave)
q Isa 32:8 (Noble man makes noble plans)
q Acts 2:44-45 (Believers had everything in common)
q Acts 4:34-37 (No needy persons. Sale of lands and houses.)
q Rom 12:13 (Share with God's people who are in need)
q Heb 13:16 (Don’t forget to do good and share with others)
q I Jn 3:17 (Do you see brothers in need – help them)
q Luke 18:22-25 (Rich man turns away from Jesus)
q Gal 6:6 (Support financially those who teach you the Word of God)
q Matt 25:35-40 (Helping the least of the brethren is helping Jesus)
q Acts 20:35 (It is more blessed to given than to receive)
Since there are some who are questioning tithers and because I won't get into this type of discussion over in OT, but in the CF only, then I thought its fitting to begin this over here.

The one thing I'm going to stress is this: For all who choose not to give their tithes for whatever YOUR reason is, doesn't mean that those who do are wrong.

I know that give above and beyond my 10%....you would be amazed. There are so many others that do as well. I love to give and will continue as long as I have breath in me.

If this was something that the Lord didn't want us to do, why am I so blessed? Why does He continue to pour out His blessings in my life and so many others that I know of? Why? Well, I can say this....there must be something to it, or it would not happen.

Anyhoo....for those who want to understand it more and see what the Word has to say about it, be blessed with it.

Well you did a lot of work! Thanks!:grin:

intellect_sensual

I have no problem with tithing, alot of the verses that are listed has to do with giving, not just tithing. That is what I believe in and subscribe to. I don't tithe and I am blessed, blessed I tell ya! So blessing doesn't fall only upon the tither. Actually being blessed and tithing are equally exclusive, and being blessed can happen without tithing. Like I said in the other thread and I will say here. This is one of the frivolous arguments that tear Christians apart. Tithing doesn't make you blessed or helps you get into heaven. Leviticus, and Deutronemy listed the things that will cause you to be blessed, and the things that cause you to be cursed, tithing wasn't one of them. As long as you don't believe that tithing makes you bettre than a nontither or will get you into heaven then you are fine with me.

intellect_sensual

q Since there are some who are questioning tithers and because I won't get into this type of discussion over in OT, but in the CF only, then I thought its fitting to begin this over here.

To the bolded, might it be that God is just pleased with you? I think so. If you are following the 10 Commandments and living your life according, then I would attribute that to why you are blessed and not necessarily to tithing. I know many poeple that tithe faithfully, but lag behind on following his Commandmentsd, and their fruit show this. Tithing doesn't equal blessing, following God's commandments certainly do though.

PaperClip

I humbly submit that TITHING, as a SPECIFIC FORM of giving, sets a person distinctly apart in the Lord's eyes. Abraham's act of tithing is mentioned in both the Old and New Testaments. There's already been plenty of discussion about the law versus the fulfillment of the law and what guidelines carried over and which did not and which SHOULD or should NOT be carried over into the new covenant.

Here's the thing: ALL TYPES of giving is out of one's own free will: one's free will to OBEY the LORD. Tithing is, I feel, A COVENANT form of giving. And it is a form of giving that is ACCESSIBLE to us all.

I believe Abraham's WILLINGNESS to tithe when there was no precedent set BEFORE HIM is a great witness of faith and it is reason why his great act of faith was highlighted in the book of Hebrews, the NEW TESTAMENT BOOK of FAITH. Abraham could have been like "Naww, that's alright...." But look at what Abraham did in RESPONSE to the bestowing of blessing upon him by Melchizedek. Abraham had to have faith to believe that Melchizedek was who Melchizedek said He was.... And who else was blessed by tithing? I believe Abraham's bloodline that came after him ALL TITHED unto THE LORD and that's how that blessing that Melchizedek placed upon Abraham has sustained throughout generations.

Personal testimony: I believe that there are GENERATIONAL blessings upon my life because my grandparents tithed and my parents tithe and they trained me to tithe and I will train my children to tithe and the Lord is going to continue to favor us just like the Lord favored Abraham and his seed.

Genesis 14 (The Message)
17-20 After Abram returned from defeating Kedorlaomer and his allied kings, the king of Sodom came out to greet him in the Valley of Shaveh, the King's Valley. Melchizedek, king of Salem, brought out bread and wine—he was priest of The High God—and blessed him:

Blessed be Abram by The High God,
Creator of Heaven and Earth.
And blessed be The High God,
who handed your enemies over to you.

Abram gave him a tenth of all the recovered plunder.

Hebrews 7 (The Message)

4-7You realize just how great Melchizedek is when you see that Father Abraham gave him a tenth of the captured treasure. Priests descended from Levi are commanded by law to collect tithes from the people, even though they are all more or less equals, priests and people, having a common father in Abraham. But this man, a complete outsider, collected tithes from Abraham and blessed him, the one to whom the promises had been given. In acts of blessing, the lesser is blessed by the greater.
8-10Or look at it this way: We pay our tithes to priests who die, but Abraham paid tithes to a priest who, the Scripture says, "lives." Ultimately you could even say that since Levi descended from Abraham, who paid tithes to Melchizedek, when we pay tithes to the priestly tribe of Levi they end up with Melchizedek.

Southernbella.

Did you guys read the scriptures in context? Have you really studied this stuff, or are you just trying to prove your point? I'm not trying to be funny, but you're missing it.

The tithe that Abraham gave wasn't a tithe. For one, he didn't give based on anything he earned. He gave from someone else's property. Second, it was a freewill offering of 10%. Which again proves what we have been saying. If we are not under the law to tithe, then we are free, like Abraham, to give 10, or 5 , or 35%, and God is pleased with it all.

Also, I have said before that I am not saying that you shouldn't tithe. What I am saying is that you aren't under the law to do so. If you want to, if God has spoken to you personally and told you to give 10%, then you are practicing New Testament giving, becuase that is what God has purposed in your heart.

That said, it doesn't make you more blessed or more special than people who do not "tithe". You aren't more blessed for giving 10% than soeone who gives 5 or 25%. You are blessed because God sees fit to bless you. Me and my family are blessed and favored beyond our wildest dreams, and we aren't "tithers" in the true sense of the word.

God is awesome like that. He blesses those He wants to bless. Tithing never had to do with blessing anyway. It had to do with providing an inheritance for those who had nothing. It had nothing to do with faith either.

The Malachi scriptures, again, if you read them in context, refer to God's displeasure with the priests. THEY were not bringing the tithes into the storehouse and doing with them what God commanded. They were robbing God by not providing for His people, the Levites. He told them that if they would obey Him in the law, He would bless them and not curse them. THEM, not us.

Again, if you want to give 10%, you have the freewill to do so. That is one of the reasons Jesus came...that we aren't in bondage to the law anymore, but free. But when you, and preachers, and whoever else try to create some spiritual hierarchy where "tithers" (Who aren't really tithing because if you read the tithe scriptures, it looks nothing like writing out a check every week) are better than givers.

Anyway, I'm going get my scriptures together.

Southernbella.

I humbly submit that TITHING, as a SPECIFIC FORM of giving, sets a person distinctly apart in the Lord's eyes. Abraham's act of tithing is mentioned in both the Old and New Testaments. There's already been plenty of discussion about the law versus the fulfillment of the law and what guidelines carried over and which did not and which SHOULD or should NOT be carried over into the new covenant.

Here's the thing: ALL TYPES of giving is out of one's own free will: one's free will to OBEY the LORD. Tithing is, I feel, A COVENANT form of giving. And it is a form of giving that is ACCESSIBLE to us all.

I believe Abraham's WILLINGNESS to tithe when there was no precedent set BEFORE HIM is a great witness of faith and it is reason why his great act of faith was highlighted in the book of Hebrews, the NEW TESTAMENT BOOK of FAITH. Abraham could have been like "Naww, that's alright...." But look at what Abraham did in RESPONSE to the bestowing of blessing upon him by Melchizedek. Abraham had to have faith to believe that Melchizedek was who Melchizedek said He was.... And who else was blessed by tithing? I believe Abraham's bloodline that came after him ALL TITHED unto THE LORD and that's how that blessing that Melchizedek placed upon Abraham has sustained throughout generations.

Personal testimony: I believe that there are GENERATIONAL blessings upon my life because my grandparents tithed and my parents tithe and they trained me to tithe and I will train my children to tithe and the Lord is going to continue to favor us just like the Lord favored Abraham and his seed.

Genesis 14 (The Message)
17-20 After Abram returned from defeating Kedorlaomer and his allied kings, the king of Sodom came out to greet him in the Valley of Shaveh, the King's Valley. Melchizedek, king of Salem, brought out bread and wine—he was priest of The High God—and blessed him:

Hebrews 7 (The Message)

4-7You realize just how great Melchizedek is when you see that Father Abraham gave him a tenth of the captured treasure. Priests descended from Levi are commanded by law to collect tithes from the people, even though they are all more or less equals, priests and people, having a common father in Abraham. But this man, a complete outsider, collected tithes from Abraham and blessed him, the one to whom the promises had been given. In acts of blessing, the lesser is blessed by the greater.
8-10Or look at it this way: We pay our tithes to priests who die, but Abraham paid tithes to a priest who, the Scripture says, "lives." Ultimately you could even say that since Levi descended from Abraham, who paid tithes to Melchizedek, when we pay tithes to the priestly tribe of Levi they end up with Melchizedek.

Again, Abrahams "tithe" wasn't a true tithe the way God commanded it. It was a freewill offering. If anything, this supports the point that God has given us the choice to give what is purposed in our hearts. Abraham wasn't commanded to give 10%, but he decided to. Also, he didn't give from his own earnings, he gave from the spoils of war that belonged to the other king (I'll have to go back and reread). The spoils didn't belong to him, but before he returned those spoils to their rightful owner, he decided to give some to Melchizedek. So, not a good example of being under law or covenant to tithe.

There are no more Levite priests. They were the only ones able to legally collect a tithe. So again, if we are being technical, what you are doing isn't tithing, it's freewill giving of 10%.

Southernbella.

Can someone who's read the tithe scriptures tell me why you aren't tithing according to the way God mandated? Because God was very specific about the way the tithe was to be collected, when,and who it went to. There was more than one tithe also, so how many tithes are you giving?

Nice & Wavy

I have no problem with tithing, alot of the verses that are listed has to do with giving, not just tithing. That is what I believe in and subscribe to. I don't tithe and I am blessed, blessed I tell ya! So blessing doesn't fall only upon the tither. Actually being blessed and tithing are equally exclusive, and being blessed can happen without tithing. Like I said in the other thread and I will say here. This is one of the frivolous arguments that tear Christians apart. Tithing doesn't make you blessed or helps you get into heaven. Leviticus, and Deutronemy listed the things that will cause you to be blessed, and the things that cause you to be cursed, tithing wasn't one of them. As long as you don't believe that tithing makes you bettre than a nontither or will get you into heaven then you are fine with me.

If you don't have a problem with tithing...then what's the problem?

The only frivolous arguments that I have been witnessing is between christians and its a shame. How are people going to come to the saving knowledge of Jesus Christ, when they see that there are people who are going to attack each other with their words because they don't agree?

Ok, we don't agree...that's ok. It should not turn into arguments...it doesn't look good on us as believers.

Thanks for posting!

mzcris

Hi Nice & Wavy

My husband and I are faithful tithers and givers! Our lives are the better because we tithe. Great thread lady!!

Southernbella.

If you don't have a problem with tithing...then what's the problem?

The only frivolous arguments that I have been witnessing is between christians and its a shame. How are people going to come to the saving knowledge of Jesus Christ, when they see that there are people who are going to attack each other with their words because they don't agree?

Ok, we don't agree...that's ok. It should not turn into arguments...it doesn't look good on us as believers.

Thanks for posting!

I don't think anyone is arguing. I actually think this is a good dicussion. I actually think it's a shame when these dicussions come to a halt because people want to act like Christians shouldn't disagree in public.

Nice & Wavy

Did you guys read the scriptures in context? Have you really studied this stuff, or are you just trying to prove your point? I'm not trying to be funny, but you're missing it.

The tithe that Abraham gave wasn't a tithe. For one, he didn't give based on anything he earned. He gave from someone else's property. Second, it was a freewill offering of 10%. Which again proves what we have been saying. If we are not under the law to tithe, then we are free, like Abraham, to give 10, or 5 , or 35%, and God is pleased with it all.

Also, I have said before that I am not saying that you shouldn't tithe. What I am saying is that you aren't under the law to do so. If you want to, if God has spoken to you personally and told you to give 10%, then you are practicing New Testament giving, becuase that is what God has purposed in your heart.

That said, it doesn't make you more blessed or more special than people who do not "tithe". You aren't more blessed for giving 10% than soeone who gives 5 or 25%. You are blessed because God sees fit to bless you. Me and my family are blessed and favored beyond our wildest dreams, and we aren't "tithers" in the true sense of the word.

God is awesome like that. He blesses those He wants to bless. Tithing never had to do with blessing anyway. It had to do with providing an inheritance for those who had nothing. It had nothing to do with faith either.

The Malachi scriptures, again, if you read them in context, refer to God's displeasure with the priests. THEY were not bringing the tithes into the storehouse and doing with them what God commanded. They were robbing God by not providing for His people, the Levites. He told them that if they would obey Him in the law, He would bless them and not curse them. THEM, not us.

Again, if you want to give 10%, you have the freewill to do so. That is one of the reasons Jesus came...that we aren't in bondage to the law anymore, but free.

But when you, and preachers, and whoever else try to create some spiritual hierarchy where "tithers" (Who aren't really tithing because if you read the tithe scriptures, it looks nothing like writing out a check every week) are better than givers.

Lauren, you have certainly insulted me and my position as a pastor and minister of the gospel by saying this. I studied these scriptures and took alot of time on this and you are going to say this and think its ok for you to do so? Hmmmm....

This is not a battle of scriptures, Lauren. Get your scriptures together if you like.

I have nothing more to say because I just don't....:wallbash:

PaperClip

The tithe that Abraham gave wasn't a tithe. For one, he didn't give based on anything he earned. He gave from someone else's property.

Lauren, how could it be somebody else's stuff if the people were DEAD? LOL! SPOILS from defeating Kedorlaomer! Spoils of war belong to the VICTOR!

Second, it was a freewill offering of 10%. Which again proves what we have been saying. If we are not under the law to tithe, then we are free, like Abraham, to give 10, or 5 , or 35%, and God is pleased with it all.

The Bible (KJV) called it a TITHE...used the specific term "tithes": Genesis 14:20: " And blessed be the most high God, which hath delivered thine enemies into thy hand. And he gave him tithes of all."

Abraham tithed before the law existed; so even if we were to use the logic that Jesus fulfilled every aspect of the law, the act of tithing still exists outside/beyond the law, and is available for all to do.

I never said that one who does not tithe is not blessed. What I am saying is that tithing opens up a higher, deeper, richer, place of blessings...not just financial, but in all areas of one's life. And again, tithing is accessible and available to all.

After reading Genesis 14, how could you still say that tithing never had to do with blessing? Verses 19-20: "19And he blessed him, and said, Blessed be Abram of the most high God, possessor of heaven and earth: 20And blessed be the most high God, which hath delivered thine enemies into thy hand. And he gave him tithes of all."

Again, if you want to give 10%, you have the freewill to do so. That is one of the reasons Jesus came...that we aren't in bondage to the law anymore, but free. But when you, and preachers, and whoever else try to create some spiritual hierarchy where "tithers" (Who aren't really tithing because if you read the tithe scriptures, it looks nothing like writing out a check every week) are better than givers.

I admit that I have been curious to get understanding of WHAT TO TITHE from: compensation from work/labor (e.g., earnings, salary) or spoils (e.g., bonus, extra, gift, etc.). Until such understanding is illuminated to me, I have to continue to do what I know and tithe from all.

Nice & Wavy

Genesis 14 (The Message)

Hebrews 7 (The Message)

Thank you, RR. I appreciate your insight and the fact that you took your time to write this out.

Southernbella.

Lauren, you have certainly insulted me and my position as a pastor and minister of the gospel by saying this. I studied these scriptures and took alot of time on this and you are going to say this and think its ok for you to do so? Hmmmm....

This is not a battle of scriptures, Lauren. Get your scriptures together if you like.

I have nothing more to say because I just don't....:wallbash:

It wasn't my intention to insult you. You have certainly insulted me with some of the things you have implied before, but I believe in forgiveness, so it's all good.

I welcome you to speak your mind though, as we are sisters in Christ and I wouldn't take it personal.

alexstin

I admit that I have been curious to get understanding of WHAT TO TITHE from: compensation from work/labor (e.g., earnings, salary) or spoils (e.g., bonus, extra, gift, etc.). Until such understanding is illuminated to me, I have to continue to do what I know and tithe from all.

This made me think of a question I have. We(my family) tithe off all monetary gifts. Let's say someone gets your child a giftcard and they'd rather have the cash because they would prefer to use that money elsewhere. You(the parent) give them the cash in exchange for the giftcard. Do you then have you child tithe off the cash they now have?:ohwell:

Nice & Wavy

I tithe from my earnings...my gross salary. Anything above and beyond that is an offering and if you choose to give 10% from that, you are more than free to do so.

I just got a huge, I mean huge, finanical blessing and I know it came because I TITHE! Now, its not earnings...but a generous gift for our work in the ministry from someone who has riches and wanted to bless us with it. We received it and we are grateful. We will give above and beyond because we understand what it means to give, just like you do, and yes...it will be more than 10%.

PaperClip

This made me think of a question I have. We(my family) tithe off all monetary gifts. Let's say someone gets your child a giftcard and they'd rather have the cash because they would prefer to use that money elsewhere. You(the parent) give them the cash in exchange for the giftcard. Do you then have you child tithe off the cash they now have?:ohwell:

I suppose since there is cash, I would say yes.

Southernbella.

Abraham was going to give the spoils back. He never intended to keep them as his own because he didn't want to be enriched by another king.

21 The king of Sodom said to Abram, "Give me the people and keep the goods for yourself."
22 But Abram said to the king of Sodom, "I have raised my hand to the LORD, God Most High, Creator of heaven and earth, and have taken an oath 23 that I will accept nothing belonging to you, not even a thread or the thong of a sandal, so that you will never be able to say, 'I made Abram rich.' 24 I will accept nothing but what my men have eaten and the share that belongs to the men who went with me—to Aner, Eshcol and Mamre. Let them have their share."

You are right that the Bible refers to it as a tithe, meaning 10%, but not the same thing as the law of the tithe.

And I think we agree more than disagree. I agree that freewill giving of 10% existed before the law, but again, it was freewill. It wasn't a true tithe. If you are choosing to give 10%, that is a tithe (tenth) but not tithing as God mandated it.

Do you agree that we are not mandated to tithe? And that freewill giving is what Christians are instructed to do per the New Testament? Because that is what I am saying. I have never had a problem with anyone giving 10% if that is what they want to do. I have a problem with the incorrect teaching that we are still under the law to tithe as God mandated it.

Southernbella.

It depends. Are you tithing based on the law? Or are you practicing freewill giving of 10%?

Nice & Wavy

It wasn't my intention to insult you. You have certainly insulted me with some of the things you have implied before, but I believe in forgiveness, so it's all good.

I welcome you to speak your mind though, as we are sisters in Christ and I wouldn't take it personal.

When I started this thread, I did not have you in mind, Lauren. I didn't even think that you were going to come into this thread anyway, so how did I insult you?

What you said in this thread, was direct to me and I told you how I felt and instead of you apologizing with a heart of love, you come back with the above and say you believe in forgiveness....I'm sorry, its not all good when it goes down like that.

I know we don't agree on alot of issues, but not once have I insulted or disrespected you in any way...in any thread.

Nice & Wavy

Hi Nice & Wavy

My husband and I are faithful tithers and givers! Our lives are the better because we tithe. Great thread lady!!

Amen. That blesses me greatly. Dh and I lives are better too because we tithe...in every area of our lives.

I appreciate your post. Please stay prayerful for this thread.

Blessings.

Southernbella.

When I started this thread, I did not have you in mind, Lauren. I didn't even think that you were going to come into this thread anyway, so how did I insult you?

What you said in this thread, was direct to me and I told you how I felt and instead of you apologizing with a heart of love, you come back with the above and say you believe in forgiveness....I'm sorry, its not all good when it goes down like that.

I know we don't agree on alot of issues, but not once have I insulted or disrespected you in any way...in any thread.

I didn't mean this thread. And yes, you have insulted me, but I'm sure it wasn't intentional, the same way I didn't intend to insult you. You don't even know you did it, but you did. I'm sure I've insulted more than one person at some time or another. But like I said, I do believe in forgiveness. I have forgiven you and I hope you can forgive me, and I apologize for insulting you.

Nice & Wavy

When my son was young, I let him tithe off the cash he was given...to teach him to give to the Lord. My son today as an adult, does not live for God, yet he continues to tithe to the church because he understands the meaning of giving the tithe.

Nice & Wavy

I didn't mean this thread. And yes, you have insulted me, but I'm sure it wasn't intentional, the same way I didn't intend to insult you. You don't even know you did it, but you did. I'm sure I've insulted more than one person at some time or another. But like I said, I do believe in forgiveness. I have forgiven you and I hope you can forgive me, and I apologize for insulting you.

If I unintentionaly insulted you, why didn't you say something to me, since we are sisters in Christ and all? I'm not an unreasonable person...a pm would have been fine and we could have talked about it, instead of bringing up the past in this thread. I said that you insulted me as a pastor by saying did I study the scriptures that I put in the OP...what does that really have to do with another thread? Obviously..we aren't going to get anywhere with this.

Lauren, I do believe in forgiveness as well, and for the sake of someone giving their life to Jesus Christ, I most certainly would not want that to happen because of what I do or say, therefore I do forgive you and I ask that you forgive me as well and please, seriously, accept my apologies if I said or did anything outside of myself to you at any time that would cause you to feel bad.

Blessings.

alexstin

When my son was young, I let him tithe off the cash he was given...to teach him to give to the Lord. My son today as an adult, does not live for God, yet he continues to tithe to the church because he understands the meaning of giving the tithe.

Yes, we definitely have them tithe when money is given to them and we have been having them tithe when we give them cash in exchange for a gift card someone gives them. Just wondering......

PaperClip

Abraham was going to give the spoils back. He never intended to keep them as his own because he didn't want to be enriched by another king.

21 The king of Sodom said to Abram, "Give me the people and keep the goods for yourself."
22 But Abram said to the king of Sodom, "I have raised my hand to the LORD, God Most High, Creator of heaven and earth, and have taken an oath 23 that I will accept nothing belonging to you, not even a thread or the thong of a sandal, so that you will never be able to say, 'I made Abram rich.' 24 I will accept nothing but what my men have eaten and the share that belongs to the men who went with me—to Aner, Eshcol and Mamre. Let them have their share."

You are right that the Bible refers to it as a tithe, meaning 10%, but not the same thing as the law of the tithe.

And I think we agree more than disagree. I agree that freewill giving of 10% existed before the law, but again, it was freewill. It wasn't a true tithe. If you are choosing to give 10%, that is a tithe (tenth) but not tithing as God mandated it.

Do you agree that we are not mandated to tithe? And that freewill giving is what Christians are instructed to do per the New Testament? Because that is what I am saying. I have never had a problem with anyone giving 10% if that is what they want to do. I have a problem with the incorrect teaching that we are still under the law to tithe as God mandated it.

It depends. Are you tithing based on the law? Or are you practicing freewill giving of 10%?

The spoils belonged to Abraham for him to do whatever he wanted to do with them. That's why the King of Sodom told Abraham to keep the goods, maybe as an award for defeating Sodom's enemies. Abraham, in honor to his Lord, didn't want to accept the award. The story continues in the next chapter (Genesis 15): Verse 1: "After these things the word of the LORD came unto Abram in a vision, saying, Fear not, Abram: I am thy shield, and thy exceeding great reward." And here's where this act of tithing, faith, and worship unto the Lord set Abraham apart from other folk:

Genesis 15:2-6
"2And Abram said, LORD God, what wilt thou give me, seeing I go childless, and the steward of my house is this Eliezer of Damascus?
3And Abram said, Behold, to me thou hast given no seed: and, lo, one born in my house is mine heir.
4And, behold, the word of the LORD came unto him, saying, This shall not be thine heir; but he that shall come forth out of thine own bowels shall be thine heir.
5And he brought him forth abroad, and said, Look now toward heaven, and tell the stars, if thou be able to number them: and he said unto him, So shall thy seed be. 6And he believed in the LORD; and he counted it to him for righteousness.

And Isaac became that seed...from what seemed to be an IMPOSSIBLE situation.... that's what TITHING will do....

Ok... I'm chewing on this a bit so here's what I feel/sense:

The word "law" is a very loaded term. The birth, death, and resurrection of Jesus Christ fulfilled the law, but DID NOT UNDO the PRINCIPLES of which the Mosaic law enforced. For example, Mark 10 talks about divorce outlined in the Old Testament and how Jesus applied it in the New Testament:

(The Message)
Divorce
1-2 From there he went to the area of Judea across the Jordan. A crowd of people, as was so often the case, went along, and he, as he so often did, taught them. Pharisees came up, intending to give him a hard time. They asked, "Is it legal for a man to divorce his wife?"

3Jesus said, "What did Moses command?"

4They answered, "Moses gave permission to fill out a certificate of dismissal and divorce her."

5-9Jesus said, "Moses wrote this command only as a concession to your hardhearted ways. In the original creation, God made male and female to be together. Because of this, a man leaves father and mother, and in marriage he becomes one flesh with a woman—no longer two individuals, but forming a new unity. Because God created this organic union of the two sexes, no one should desecrate his art by cutting them apart."

10-12When they were back home, the disciples brought it up again. Jesus gave it to them straight: "A man who divorces his wife so he can marry someone else commits adultery against her. And a woman who divorces her husband so she can marry someone else commits adultery."

So Jesus did not UNDO the ACT of divorce or even Moses' law concerning divorce, but gave us the parameters for when divorce is permitted.

I think this is the way the principle and practice of tithing is to be applied to us today. So to answer your question, I practice the biblical PRINCIPLE of tithing.

Last edited:

Nice & Wavy

The spoils belonged to Abraham for him to do whatever he wanted to do with them. That's why the King of Sodom told Abraham to keep the goods, maybe as an award for defeating Sodom's enemies. Abraham, in honor to his Lord, didn't want to accept the award. The story continues in the next chapter (Genesis 15): Verse 1: "After these things the word of the LORD came unto Abram in a vision, saying, Fear not, Abram: I am thy shield, and thy exceeding great reward." And here's where this act of tithing, faith, and worship unto the Lord set Abraham apart from other folk:

Genesis 15:2-6
"2And Abram said, LORD God, what wilt thou give me, seeing I go childless, and the steward of my house is this Eliezer of Damascus?
3And Abram said, Behold, to me thou hast given no seed: and, lo, one born in my house is mine heir.
4And, behold, the word of the LORD came unto him, saying, This shall not be thine heir; but he that shall come forth out of thine own bowels shall be thine heir.
5And he brought him forth abroad, and said, Look now toward heaven, and tell the stars, if thou be able to number them: and he said unto him, So shall thy seed be. 6And he believed in the LORD; and he counted it to him for righteousness.

And Isaac became that seed...from what seemed to be an IMPOSSIBLE situation.... that's what TITHING will do....

Ok... I'm chewing on this a bit so here's what I feel/sense:

The word "law" is a very loaded term. The birth, death, and resurrection of Jesus Christ fulfilled the law, but DID NOT UNDO the PRINCIPLES of which the Mosaic law enforced. For example, Mark 10 talks about divorce outlined in the Old Testament and how Jesus applied it in the New Testament:

(The Message)
Divorce
1-2 From there he went to the area of Judea across the Jordan. A crowd of people, as was so often the case, went along, and he, as he so often did, taught them. Pharisees came up, intending to give him a hard time. They asked, "Is it legal for a man to divorce his wife?"

3Jesus said, "What did Moses command?"

4They answered, "Moses gave permission to fill out a certificate of dismissal and divorce her."

5-9Jesus said, "Moses wrote this command only as a concession to your hardhearted ways. In the original creation, God made male and female to be together. Because of this, a man leaves father and mother, and in marriage he becomes one flesh with a woman—no longer two individuals, but forming a new unity. Because God created this organic union of the two sexes, no one should desecrate his art by cutting them apart."

10-12When they were back home, the disciples brought it up again. Jesus gave it to them straight: "A man who divorces his wife so he can marry someone else commits adultery against her. And a woman who divorces her husband so she can marry someone else commits adultery."

So Jesus did not UNDO the ACT of divorce or even Moses' law concerning divorce, but gave us the parameters for when divorce is permitted.

I think this is the way the principle and practice of tithing is to be applied to us today. So to answer your question, I practice the biblical PRINCIPLE of tithing.

@ the bolded...me too.

Thank you, RR for these scripture references.