Giving of the Tithe - Scripture References

Nice & Wavy

I don't think anyone is condemning anyone here for not tithing, just sharing our personal testimonies. I don't think it's fair to judge those that do tithe either. Let's not go to extremes in assuming about each other brothers and sisters. Just because a church receives tithes doesn't mean they're using it to consume on their own lusts. I personally have never been to a church like that. Many churches give annual statements to givers showing that their contributions are going into the furthering of the Kingdom of God. Also please do not judge tithers as seeing themselves as righteous for their giving. Many of us give out of a grateful heart, and trust God at His Word. Once again, it's the ONLY thing God ever says to test Him on and all I know is that since I've been tithing, I have not ever had to beg for bread. God supernaturally provided for us, we tithed without and increase of income. And as a result, our income has increased.

If a person chooses not to tithe, well that's their choice and I am fine with that, all I know is, it seems to work for me.:grin:

Thanks for posting, Kbragg!

Southernbella.

I tithe, because I feel God has told me/commanded me to tithe and not only tithe but just be a giver. Give to people in need..do what I can for those who don't have. It' just in me to do that type of good to people.

I am big on feeding the homeless. And it's not like oh go down to a shelter and help out, but as simple as buying a couple protein bars or a large pizza and giving it out to the homeless in the neighborhood or who I see on my travels.

I see giving as a way to contribute to kingdom building.

I've heard Malachi 3:8 all my life, but it never really became real real to me until about 3 or 4 months ago. Like oh yea don't rob God, you rob Him in tithes and offering. Etc..I tithe before this, but it was like WOW! At that moment it became soo powerful when I read a little further.

8 “ Will a man rob God?
Yet you have robbed Me!
But you say,

‘ In what way have we robbed You?’
In tithes and offerings.
9 You are cursed with a curse,
For you have robbed Me,
Even this whole nation.
10 Bring all the tithes into the storehouse,
That there may be food in My house,
And try Me now in this,”
Says the LORD of hosts,

“ If I will not open for you the windows of heaven
And pour out for you such blessing
That there will not be room enough to receive it.
11 “ And I will rebuke the devourer for your sakes,
So that he will not destroy the fruit of your ground,
Nor shall the vine fail to bear fruit for you in the field,”
Says the LORD of hosts;
12 And all nations will call you blessed,
For you will be a delightful land,”
Says the LORD of hosts.

I read this in church one sunday and I just started shouting. The Spirit of the Lord just made me sooo happy in this. Especially the underlining part.

I will rebuke the devourer for your sakes. WOW. Soo many blessings out of returning to God what was/is his all along. Like it just doesn't make sense to bless be for this, but He decided he will and he does. Ok. I receive it. However, there are downsides to this, being cursed. Like doing something so simple could release huge blessings, but not doing something so simple could release a huge curse.

Something else that I had been saying, but is right here in scripture. Bring the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be food in my house.

God doesn't need to eat or food in his house. What is he going to do with this tithe? He is going to give it to his children who are in need. Who lack, who need that supernatural intervention. And that's what the church is suppose to be doing. Not keeping it in the church buying new fancy carpet and glass chandeliers when they don't have any type of outreach and giving programs in the church.

OK. That's it.

TrustMeLove, that Malachi scripture is about God being displeased with the priests for not bringing the tithes (that the people did pay) into the storehouse and using them the way he commanded. It's not about the people.

But I do agree that the purpose of the tithe was to provide for the people who had nothing.:yep:

Nice & Wavy

Good word....

And honestly, I think the argument about the pastor stealing the money and all that jazz kind of sounds like a cop-out to justify not taking a step of FAITH to tithe. I'm certainly not condemning anyone who doesn't tithe. In fact, I'm screaming and shouting and telling you to step out on faith and take the Lord at His word and TITHE!!!! I'm almost begging you all to try it. Not even because the church "needs" the money because you know what? The LORD GOD ALMIGHTY will rapture this planet first before He lets His true churches go down because of lack. The Lord takes care of His bride. Nobody in the body of Christ is INdispensible. The Lord ALWAYS has a remnant to get His job done. There will ALWAYS be someone willing to give (and tithe) willingly and cheerfully, do, and make him/herself available to the Lord. One of my prayers to the Lord is this: "Lord I am weak, I am willing, please show me the way".

And another thing: guess who else is probably against tithing? the devil! How about that? Anything to hinder the saints of the Most High God from advancing the Kingdom of God.... Please, please do not take me to say that non-tithers are associated with the devil. Please don't take it there because that's not what I'm saying at all.

Trust the Lord God Almighty and apply the PRINCIPLE of tithing to your life. You WILL NOT EVER REGRET IT AS LONG AS YOU LIVE ON PLANET EARTH.

This too is a great word, RR. Thank you for posting.

Southernbella.

I don't have a problem, but you seem to have one. Is this the way you disagree with my statement? What is a shame exactly? Disagreeing, on seeing the bible in a light that might be different from what is popular? I am not attacking you, but it seems like you are attacking me, and putting words in my mouth. Yes many people come in agree with tithing, and like I said I don't have a problem with it, I just see it in a different way. It is not my point to be popular or have everyone agree with me. Jesus was never popular, actually he was not liked by many people who claimed they were experts on the word of God. I am not an expert, and it seems for some they just can't accept that they might just be wrong.
Like I said before, I don't tithe the way you are referring, but I give, and give what I am compelled to give, and I do with a humble heart, and gladly. I am blessed, and my storebasket is never empty. How many people give their 10th every week, and are sick, broke etc... Is there tithing not working? Or are they not giving enough? Tithing does not equal blessings, following God's commandments are exactly what allows you to receive blessings. How many times did Jesus say this? How many times have the bible referred to this? I don't need to give my 10% faithfully to have faith in God, maybe some people do, which is why they attribute their blessings to tithing.

Could it just be that God is pleased with you following his commandments? What about Job, David, and etc... who were blessed just because they were pleasing in God's sight. Why were they pleasing to Him? Because they obeyed his commandments Period!!! Not because they tithed, and no where in the Word was a specific person blessed JUST because they tithed.

My point is this, tithe if you want, but please don't make it seem as if you are better than the next person that doesn't, because that idea right there will send you where?

Great post!:yep:

Nice & Wavy

The widow isn't recognized because she gave only 2 coins she is recognized because she gave all that she had and by doing so honored God more than those who put in money out of their surplus.

Sometimes people give when it "hurts". Giving when it stretches you financially is not a bad thing.[/quote]

@ the bolded. Girl, I surely do know about this for sure:yep:

Southernbella.

I agree. Where it gets sad is when what should be free will, and not under compulsion tying up heavy BURDENS on the people, rather than the people feeling blessed to give, it becomes a Yoke, and Christ says His yoke is kindly and his burden is light. If someone makes $3000 per month, has no responsibilities a month it may not be a burden, but if some person with a family of five takes home a $1000 or less and their bonafide family expenses are $985. it could become a burden to give that 10 per cent every month no matter what. No dentist, no doctor, no holiday for your family, no grad dress, no car repairs etc and pay childcare too. And when other believers make them feel, sinful, like thieves and faithless, and they are pointed out to others, indirectly, cause word does get around, or spiritually rebuked and any thing they suffer is directly related to the "sin of not giving 10 per cent!"
that is also sad. God may very well be pleased, with their mite! The widow did what she could, right and a favorable testimony was given about her in the Scriptures?

I agree with you. It doesn't say it expicitly in the Bible, but I have a hard time believing that the poor and widowed and fatherless paid tithes if one of the tithes went directly to them. Somehow we've gotten to a point where the poot are expected to pay tithes as a measure of thier faithfulness, and it has become a burden for them, instead of a joy.

Southernbella.

Good word....

And honestly, I think the argument about the pastor stealing the money and all that jazz kind of sounds like a cop-out to justify not taking a step of FAITH to tithe. I'm certainly not condemning anyone who doesn't tithe. In fact, I'm screaming and shouting and telling you to step out on faith and take the Lord at His word and TITHE!!!! I'm almost begging you all to try it. Not even because the church "needs" the money because you know what? The LORD GOD ALMIGHTY will rapture this planet first before He lets His true churches go down because of lack. The Lord takes care of His bride. Nobody in the body of Christ is INdispensible. The Lord ALWAYS has a remnant to get His job done. There will ALWAYS be someone willing to give (and tithe) willingly and cheerfully, do, and make him/herself available to the Lord. One of my prayers to the Lord is this: "Lord I am weak, I am willing, please show me the way".

And another thing: guess who else is probably against tithing? the devil! How about that? Anything to hinder the saints of the Most High God from advancing the Kingdom of God.... Please, please do not take me to say that non-tithers are associated with the devil. Please don't take it there because that's not what I'm saying at all.

Trust the Lord God Almighty and apply the PRINCIPLE of tithing to your life. You WILL NOT EVER REGRET IT AS LONG AS YOU LIVE ON PLANET EARTH.

So, you don't think freewill giving is as good as tithing? I think what gets lost here is that everyone believes we should give. We disagree on whether we are still under law to tithe, or if we are to practice giving as the New Testament instructs. I believe that if you are deciding to give 10%, you are practicing New Testament giving the same as somebody who gave more or less. :yep:

envybeauty

tithing seems to be the only hot topic on this forum. :rolleyes:

my two cents....

tithing is really more about acknowledging that what you have belongs to God. just like praying is acknowledging that God is present. both acts are really about humbling yourself and acknowledging God.

whether the pastor uses the money for planes, etc. or other corrupt purposes is not going to help the non-tither. i have not heard of one person getting rich because they kept their money instead of tithing. did people go broke tithing? no. those people were broke before they threw two nickels in the plate.

a lot of rumors spread about churches and pastors. it is time that Christians stop enabling gossipers to destroy the Church.

Southernbella.

The widow isn't recognized because she gave only 2 coins she is recognized because she gave all that she had and by doing so honored God more than those who put in money out of their surplus.

Sometimes people give when it "hurts". Giving when it stretches you financially is not a bad thing.

I agree with this. I think this also supports freewill giving. God is still pleased with what the poor person gives because it was a sacrifice for THEM, even if it wasn't a tithe in the traditional sense.:yep:

TrustMeLove

TrustMeLove, that Malachi scripture is about God being displeased with the priests for not bringing the tithes (that the people did pay) into the storehouse and using them the way he commanded. It's not about the people.

But I do agree that the purpose of the tithe was to provide for the people who had nothing.:yep:

I'll PM you. Only because I feel by discussing this on this thread will violate at least for me 2 Tim 2:14.

2TIM 2: 14 Of these things put [them] in remembrance, charging [them] before the Lord that they strive not about words to no profit, [but] to the subverting of the hearers.

Last edited:

Nice & Wavy

tithing seems to be the only hot topic on this forum. :rolleyes:

my two cents....

tithing is really more about acknowledging that what you have belongs to God. just like praying is acknowledging that God is present. both acts are really about humbling yourself and acknowledging God.

whether the pastor uses the money for planes, etc. or other corrupt purposes is not going to help the non-tither. i have not heard of one person getting rich because they kept their money instead of tithing. did people go broke tithing? no. those people were broke before they threw two nickels in the plate.

a lot of rumors spread about churches and pastors. it is time that Christians stop enabling gossipers to destroy the Church.

This is one of the best posts in this thread. Think you, nvybeauty for saying this, especially the bolded. I appreciate your honesty:yep:

envybeauty

This is one of the best posts in this thread. Think you, nvybeauty for saying this, especially the bolded. I appreciate your honesty:yep:

Truth be told, I am also being honest with myself. I often remind myself to stop bringing any attention to the gossip going around. It does not benefit the Church; in fact, it harms us more than anything.

The rest of what I said is more what I believe now. God merely wants us to do certain things to show reverence and obedience. God is no respecter of persons; He does not need for us to do anything. He created all things and He can provide for widows, orphans, etc. without one person tithing one red cent. He can provide for them all on his own. He merely wants us to acknowledge him in all our ways. Giving is no exception.

PaperClip

I agree with that. Then, do you agree with the way tithing is taught to Christians...that they are mandated by God and will be cursed if they don't?

Nowwww we're getting to the heart of the matter!

I can only speak for me.... I have been in church my entire life and I have never felt like I would be cursed if I didn't tithe. Maybe that's because tithing was simply a part of practicing our faith in my home/family...since I was a CHILD. I thought it was a special privilege to be a part of that covenant principle called tithing. And it really didn't take any "prompting", if you will, from the pastor for me to start tithing when I got my first job at age 16 years old. I did it because I felt the Lord impressed it upon my heart to do so and that impression lined up with the Word of God. I know that tithing has done things for my life, my family, all who belong to me in this life. Tithing has done things that money cannot buy. It's not just a money thing. It's about covenant relationship with the Lord.

I recognize that some pastors may have presented tithing (and giving in general) with a lot of "stuff" around it, in a hostile way. But it's not happening at every church. Also, a person has free will and accessibility to pray, seek the Lord and explore and rightly divide the Word for him/herself concerning giving.

Which leads me back to the point about the term "mandate": since the coming of the Lord FULFILLED the law, His SACRIFICE TOOK OFF the PUNISHMENT/CURSE for not OBEYING the MANDATE, but He DID NOT UNDO the PRINCIPLE or ACT of tithing, just like divorce, fasting, giving, etc.

(Thank You, Holy Spirit for this illumination!)

Again, we are under the dispensation of grace. We have access to the Father through the Lord Jesus Christ. The shed blood of Jesus Christ is available to us to cover and wash away our sins and trangressions, the sins we MEANT to do and the sins we didn't mean to do. Recall that in the Old Testament, if a "mandate" was violated, it could have meant expulsion from the camp, or even death. Jesus Christ fulfilled everything so we don't have to do all of the rituals that Jews still do(?) to rid ourselves of the punishment of sin.

But as I said before about my question of giving the tithes from earnings or "spoils", e.g., bonuses, etc. with regard to how it was done by Abraham or the Israelites (but it's coming to me that the Israelites probably gave out of their earnings)....

Nice & Wavy

Truth be told, I am also being honest with myself. I often remind myself to stop bringing any attention to the gossip going around. It does not benefit the Church; in fact, it harms us more than anything.

The rest of what I said is more what I believe now. God merely wants us to do certain things to show reverence and obedience. God is no respecter of persons; He does not need for us to do anything. He created all things and He can provide for widows, orphans, etc. without one person tithing one red cent. He can provide for them all on his own. He merely wants us to acknowledge him in all our ways. Giving is no exception.

ITA with your post. Obedience is the key word.

Thank you.

PaperClip

So, you don't think freewill giving is as good as tithing? I think what gets lost here is that everyone believes we should give. We disagree on whether we are still under law to tithe, or if we are to practice giving as the New Testament instructs. I believe that if you are deciding to give 10%, you are practicing New Testament giving the same as somebody who gave more or less. :yep:

It's not a point of comparison between the two. Every believer has free will to give. Every believer has free will to tithe. What might be thought-provoking for those who have yet to tithe is the witness and testimony from the Bible and from tithers in this thread that there comes a...oh, help me out here tithers... a covenant relationship with the Lord Jesus Christ...a deeper form of worship unto the Lord....

Think about it this way: Everybody can praise the Lord. But only BELIEVERS can WORSHIP the Lord. Why? Because there's a different form of relationship that happens between "real" believers and everybody else. So it is the distinction between "freewill giving" and tithing.

Freewill giving = praise; tithing = worship.

PaperClip

Hello!!!!:yep:

Nice & Wavy

It's not a point of comparison between the two. Every believer has free will to give. Every believer has free will to tithe. What might be thought-provoking for those who have yet to tithe is the witness and testimony from the Bible and from tithers in this thread that there comes a...
oh, help me out here tithers... a covenant relationship with the Lord Jesus Christ...a deeper form of worship unto the Lord....
Yes, I can say that it is a form of worship for me to tithe...thank you, RR.

Think about it this way: Everybody can praise the Lord. But only BELIEVERS can WORSHIP the Lord. Why? Because there's a different form of relationship that happens between "real" believers and everybody else. So it is the distinction between "freewill giving" and tithing.

:yep::yep::yep:

kbragg

WOW.

"The word of God says it would be easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a man to part with his riches."

Peace

Wow. The Bible also says poverty is a CURSE. Also, you must look at the full Scripture in context. What was Jesus saying? He was saying that the rich who have their hope wrapped up in their riches will have a harder time getting into heaven than a camel through the eye of a needle. This scripture is almost as misquoted and pervert as "money is the root of all evil." It is a lie.

Here is what Matthew 19:16-26 actually says:

16And, behold, one came and said unto him, Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life?
17And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.
18He saith unto him, Which? Jesus said, Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness,
19Honour thy father and thy mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
20The young man saith unto him, All these things have I kept from my youth up: what lack I yet?
21Jesus said unto him, If thou wilt be perfect, go and sell that thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come and follow me.
22But when the young man heard that saying, he went away sorrowful: for he had great possessions.
23Then said Jesus unto his disciples, Verily I say unto you, That a rich man shall hardly enter into the kingdom of heaven.
24And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.
25When his disciples heard it, they were exceedingly amazed, saying, Who then can be saved? 26But Jesus beheld them, and said unto them, With men this is impossible; but with God all things are possible.

As we see here, Jesus already knew the rich man's heart. We could discuss this all day but my question to you is this: if money is evil, why on EARTH would God have a habit of making people like Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, Joseph, Solomon, David, and the list goes on filthy stinkin' rich?:lachen:Why would God intentionally snare His own people? The answer is He wouldn't. If God allows you to obtain wealth, and IMO if you simply follow the teaching of the Bible pertaining to wealth (hint: It's not all about playing the offering plate lotto:lol:), it's because it's not all for YOU! I encourage you to check out the site www.gfa.org and get the free book Revolutions In World Missions. IMO God does not have a HUGE body of believers in one of the most prosperous countries in the world, where basically anyone with ambition, a great work effort, working as unto God, and many other Biblical Principles on how to obtain and properly stewart the increase God gives, by accident. It's strategic. A few hundred dollars a year given to oan organization like GFA can equipe these native missionaries to reach THOUSANDS with the Gospel. It's no accident Saints. Get out of you (our) "religious boxes" and what you've (we've) been taught and told. It's not all about us at all!

We are supposed to be a channel of blessing. Paul instructed the wealthy churches to give to the poor churches in Jerusalem, I believe God is saying today to the American churches to give to the poor churches in Asia. The money we have is NOT to build bigger church buildings, to do another kids bible camp, to buy expensive houses and cars, it's to be used to expand God's Kindom, and it's a little hard to do broke and in debt. Anywho, that's a whole nother topic lol.

Shimmie

"God is the Only Truth -- Period"
Staff member
Tithing supports, Ministry and Miinstry is NEEDED in this earth.

In many, many, cases "Offerings" are only 'pinches' and 'peels' from most 'Church Goers', who actually are giving God banana skins after they've eaten the fruit inside.

Giving God the leftovers....

It's the choice of 'free will' to give when one feels like it or what they 'feel' like giving. But how can one sit in a service and not contribute. The tither's are truly the ones picking up the 'slack' from the 'slack' givers. Were it not for Tithers, there would be fewer Churches to worship in. A Tither is one who is loyal in support of the Church he/she belongs to. A giver, is loyal first to themselves, then God is last.

Nice & Wavy

Tithing supports, Ministry and Miinstry is NEEDED in this earth.

In many, many, cases "Offerings" are only 'pinches' and 'peels' from most 'Church Goers', who actually are giving God banana skins after they've eaten the fruit inside. Hmmmm....I never thought of that in this way.

Giving God the leftovers....

It's the choice of 'free will' to give when one feels like it or what they 'feel' like giving. But how can one sit in a service and not contribute. The tither's are truly the ones picking up the 'slack' from the 'slack' givers. Were it not for Tithers, there would be fewer Churches to worship in. A Tither is one who is loyal in support of the Church he/she belongs to. A giver, is loyal first to themselves, then God is last.

Thanks for this post, Shimmie.

Southernbella.

:yep:
Nowwww we're getting to the heart of the matter!

I can only speak for me.... I have been in church my entire life and I have never felt like I would be cursed if I didn't tithe. Maybe that's because tithing was simply a part of practicing our faith in my home/family...since I was a CHILD. I thought it was a special privilege to be a part of that covenant principle called tithing. And it really didn't take any "prompting", if you will, from the pastor for me to start tithing when I got my first job at age 16 years old. I did it because I felt the Lord impressed it upon my heart to do so and that impression lined up with the Word of God. I know that tithing has done things for my life, my family, all who belong to me in this life. Tithing has done things that money cannot buy. It's not just a money thing. It's about covenant relationship with the Lord.

I recognize that some pastors may have presented tithing (and giving in general) with a lot of "stuff" around it, in a hostile way. But it's not happening at every church. Also, a person has free will and accessibility to pray, seek the Lord and explore and rightly divide the Word for him/herself concerning giving.

Which leads me back to the point about the term "mandate": since the coming of the Lord FULFILLED the law, His SACRIFICE TOOK OFF the PUNISHMENT/CURSE for not OBEYING the MANDATE, but He DID NOT UNDO the PRINCIPLE or ACT of tithing, just like divorce, fasting, giving, etc.

(Thank You, Holy Spirit for this illumination!)

Again, we are under the dispensation of grace. We have access to the Father through the Lord Jesus Christ. The shed blood of Jesus Christ is available to us to cover and wash away our sins and trangressions, the sins we MEANT to do and the sins we didn't mean to do. Recall that in the Old Testament, if a "mandate" was violated, it could have meant expulsion from the camp, or even death. Jesus Christ fulfilled everything so we don't have to do all of the rituals that Jews still do(?) to rid ourselves of the punishment of sin.

But as I said before about my question of giving the tithes from earnings or "spoils", e.g., bonuses, etc. with regard to how it was done by Abraham or the Israelites (but it's coming to me that the Israelites probably gave out of their earnings)....

I see what you're getting at. I always tithed because I wanted to. I believe all that time, I was practicing giving as the New Testament instructed. I jut didn't know it!

I also agree with you about curses. All curses were broken at the foot of the cross.:yep:

Ok, I have a question about the principles you are talking about. Do you believe in this for all of Mosaic Law?

I think we agree on most things, but where we disagree is that the principle of tithing still applies. I believe the principle was GIVING. If you say the principle is tithing, then I think you have to do it correctly.

I think about the purpose of the tithe...how it was an inheritance for the Levites, who had none. All believers in Christ have an eternal inheritance. What is the purpose of the tithe today? If giving can supply the needs of the church, as Paul instructed, then what does "tithing" specifially do for believers today?

As for your last question, it is my understanding that the tithe came from the increase of the field. I'm not sure I fully understand increase vs. the regular harvest, especially since there were certain years when the tithe was collected, but I'm going to study that some more. Hopefully someone will give their insight on that.

Southernbella.

It's not a point of comparison between the two. Every believer has free will to give. Every believer has free will to tithe. What might be thought-provoking for those who have yet to tithe is the witness and testimony from the Bible and from tithers in this thread that there comes a...oh, help me out here tithers... a covenant relationship with the Lord Jesus Christ...a deeper form of worship unto the Lord....

The meat!:grin: What made you come to this conclusion? Tithe wasn't about worship at all. The covenant was made with the Israelites, who were the chosen people at that time, but that covenant is gone. It is no more. We have a New Covenant in Christ Jesus, which has nothing to do with tithing, since that was part of Mosaic Law.

Hebrews 8:6
6But the ministry Jesus has received is as superior to theirs as the covenant of which he is mediator is superior to the old one, and it is founded on better promises.

Hebrews 8:13

13By calling this covenant "new," he has made the first one obsolete; and what is obsolete and aging will soon disappear.

PaperClip

:yep:

I see what you're getting at. I always tithed because I wanted to. I believe all that time, I was practicing giving as the New Testament instructed. I jut didn't know it!

I also agree with you about curses. All curses were broken at the foot of the cross.:yep:

Ok, I have a question about the principles you are talking about. Do you believe in this for all of Mosaic Law?
Well, I don't want to say an absolute yes on all of Mosaic law because I don't know all of the Mosaic law (as I should). But I think if we were to throw in some points as a litmus test, the same flow seems to come out: So replace tithing with fasting, or divorce, or benevolence, or those laws that dealt with interactions with a fellow believer....

I think we agree on most things, but where we disagree is that the principle of tithing still applies. I believe the principle was GIVING. If you say the principle is tithing, then I think you have to do it correctly.
I say that the principle of tithing is a form of giving. And with regard to doing it "correctly", I think "correctness" is misleading because there are a number of biblical things that are still done but the METHODS have changed in response to contemporary times. I'll explore this more in the Word, but I think the Israelites brought tithes out of their EARNINGS, then we who tithe from our (gross) earnings look to be in step with what the Israelites did.

I think about the purpose of the tithe...how it was an inheritance for the Levites, who had none. All believers in Christ have an eternal inheritance. What is the purpose of the tithe today? If giving can supply the needs of the church, as Paul instructed, then what does "tithing" specifially do for believers today?
Now that's tricky and misleading (not you, but the inference of the statement). I believe the usage of the term "inheritance" in reference to the Levites spoke to a MATERIAL inheritance, not a SPIRITUAL inheritance through Jesus Christ. If I recall, the Levites, as priests, couldn't do "traditional" work because their job was specifically to tend to the temple. They couldn't generate their own income so the tithes of the PEOPLE became the Levites' income in response to their dedication/service to the temple. How does that compare to the spiritual inheritance through Jesus Christ?

As for your last question, it is my understanding that the tithe came from the increase of the field. I'm not sure I fully understand increase vs. the regular harvest, especially since there were certain years when the tithe was collected, but I'm going to study that some more. Hopefully someone will give their insight on that.
Yes, I mentioned this a couple of paragraphs up....

Again, good points and good questions.... we're really unpacking this thing and its generating good conversation and moreso thrusting us toward deeper insights from the Word of God.

PaperClip

The meat!:grin: What made you come to this conclusion? Tithe wasn't about worship at all. The covenant was made with the Israelites, who were the chosen people at that time, but that covenant is gone. It is no more. We have a New Covenant in Christ Jesus, which has nothing to do with tithing, since that was part of Mosaic Law.

Hebrews 8:6
6But the ministry Jesus has received is as superior to theirs as the covenant of which he is mediator is superior to the old one, and it is founded on better promises.

Hebrews 8:13

13By calling this covenant "new," he has made the first one obsolete; and what is obsolete and aging will soon disappear.

I feel like we're spinning here....

The law was FULFILLED. The principles that the LAW was instituted to ENFORCE were NOT UNDONE (including tithing). I used the example of divorce as mentioned in Mark 10 in an earlier post. Let's explore Hebrews 8 in more detail:
A New Covenant

7For (P)if that first covenant had been faultless, there would have been no occasion sought for a second. At least two reasons why the first covenant had FAULT: 1) NO GRACE and 2) INSUFFICIENT because they were DISOBEDIENT!!! (See Hebrews 7). If you violated the law, you were cursed/marked for death! Now, even if we disobey knowingly or unknowingly, we have grace and access to His forgiveness. We can go to the Lord ourselves instead of having to go through the priests.

8For finding fault with them, He says,
"(Q)BEHOLD, DAYS ARE COMING, SAYS THE LORD,
WHEN I WILL EFFECT (R)A NEW COVENANT
WITH THE HOUSE OF ISRAEL AND WITH THE HOUSE OF JUDAH;
9(S)NOT LIKE THE COVENANT WHICH I MADE WITH THEIR FATHERS
ON THE DAY WHEN I TOOK THEM BY THE HAND
TO LEAD THEM OUT OF THE LAND OF EGYPT;
FOR THEY DID NOT CONTINUE IN MY COVENANT,
AND I DID NOT CARE FOR THEM, SAYS THE LORD.

10"(T)FOR THIS IS THE COVENANT THAT I WILL MAKE WITH THE HOUSE OF ISRAEL
AFTER THOSE DAYS, SAYS THE LORD:
I WILL PUT MY LAWS INTO THEIR MINDS,
AND I WILL WRITE THEM (U)ON THEIR HEARTS.

(if the (principles of) the law was supposed to be undone, ignored, put away, WHY would the Lord put HIS laws on OUR MINDS and write them on our HEARTS? Because we are to maintain the PRINCIPLES that needed to be enforced by the law because the Israelites needed "boundaries" (a nice way to say that were "stiff-necked"! AND I WILL BE THEIR GOD,
AND THEY SHALL BE MY PEOPLE.
11"(V)AND THEY SHALL NOT TEACH EVERYONE HIS FELLOW CITIZEN,
AND EVERYONE HIS BROTHER, SAYING, 'KNOW THE LORD,'
FOR (W)ALL WILL KNOW ME,
FROM THE LEAST TO THE GREATEST OF THEM.
12"(X)FOR I WILL BE MERCIFUL TO THEIR INIQUITIES,
(Y)AND I WILL REMEMBER THEIR SINS NO MORE."
13When He said, "(Z)A new covenant," He has made the first obsolete (AA)But whatever is becoming obsolete and growing old is ready to disappear.

Shimmie

"God is the Only Truth -- Period"
Staff member
Thanks for this post, Shimmie.
Precious Wavy, we see this 'everyday'. Folx come to Church dressed in all their finest and George Washington and Abe Lincoln are their counterparts.

I need to clarify that I'm not speaking about those who really can't give (such as the widow and her mite); there many who don't have money; or have situations where Grace MUST abound in their lives. I not speaking of these persons.

But the ones who DO have it to give, and choose not to . They don't have the spiritual revelation that our Tithes are Kingdom essentials. One cannot give selfishly. Those who give sparingly, reap sparingly.

The example of Cain and Abel says it all....

Nice & Wavy

Precious Wavy, we see this 'everyday'. Folx come to Church dressed in all their finest and George Washington and Abe Lincoln are their counterparts.

I need to clarify that I'm not speaking about those who really can't give (such as the widow and her mite); there many who don't have money; or have situations where Grace MUST abound in their lives. I not speaking of these persons.

But the ones who DO have it to give, and choose not to . They don't have the spiritual revelation that our Tithes are Kingdom essentials. One cannot give selfishly. Those who give sparingly, reap sparingly.

The example of Cain and Abel says it all....

Shimmie, there was a time that I couldn't tithe with finances, but I gave myself and my talents as a tithe within the body. Some people don't even attend church or tithe, yet they say that what a tither do with their money is wrong. :nono:

Even if we change the word "tithe" and say we give a 10th, it will still be a problem. :nono:

Mocha5

Does anyone else see tithing as a Holy Spirit issue? I’m talking the Holy Spirit that gives us the same power that God used to raise Jesus from the dead? :grin:

As a spirit filled, believer tithing is not an option for me nor is it a free will act. I'm compelled to do so. Much like others have stated I have seen a dramatic difference in my finances. But it doesn’t stop there. Being blessed in my opinion has very little to do with an abundance of money but more to do with spiritual growth. As my tithes and offerings have increased, so has my spiritual maturity. And really spiritual maturity is all that we should seek. Money comes and goes. In a world where the almighty dollar is more important than the Almighty God, I place my total and complete faith in God concerning my finances. I do that by giving him at least 10 percent just like it states in the Old Testament. The Old Testament is a blue print from which to build your foundation. Because I have a new builder, doesn’t mean I should throw out my blueprint. At the end of the day, it still gives me great direction.

1 Now about the collection for God's people: Do what I told the Galatian churches to do.
2 On the first day of every week, each one of you should set aside a sum of money in keeping with his income, saving it up, so that when I come no collections will have to be made.1 Cor 16:1-2

23 "Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You give a tenth of your spices-- mint, dill and cummin. But you have neglected the more important matters of the law-- justice, mercy and faithfulness. You should have practiced the latter, without neglecting the former.Matt 23:23

kally

I want to tithe, but right now it will not come from the heart, and if it is not from the heart, it is a sin.

PaperClip

I want to tithe, but right now it will not come from the heart, and if it is not from the heart, it is a sin.

All I can say here is sometimes you gotta fake it 'til you can make it. There were times I didn't feel like going to church... went with STRAIGHT AT-TITUDE! But by the time service was done I felt better....

The Lord knows your heart and your concerns.... Talk to Him about them. He can handle your questions and your frustrations and your attitude, too! :grin::yep: