GLYCERIN-AMAZING!

Ganjababy

I was experiencing extremly tough dry hair. Whenever I moisturised my hair would be dry again in 15-30min! I decided to try glycerin yesterday. It is absolutely amazing! I mixed it with 98% aloe vera gel and a little castor oil. I also tried it with ORS olive oil cream. Both felt amazing.

Can anyone tell how it should be mixed? I did 1/2 glycerin and half other products (50/50). Is this mix safe or is it too much glycerin? Please advise.

Any other combo/recipes welcome

Mrs. Verde

I don't think any amount of glycerin is "unsafe". I think you just need to find the right mix for you (sounds like you have). Some people's hair likes more glycerin than others so sounds like you fond yourself a winner.

KnottyGurl

Thanks for posting this! I'm definitely going to try it and make some for my young niece who has extremely dry hair.

scorpian

Using too much glycerin in your mix can make your hair feel sticky and in the colder months glycerin can cause dry hair since it's a humectant but there's no need to worry about that now since it's hot. You have to experiment to find out what works for you.

Miz_Complexity

I found Glycerin at Wal-Mart in the pharmacy section. I poured 50% of it in a squirt bottle and I mixed 50% water, 75% infusium 23 leave in conditioner and 25% aloe-vera gel. I spray my hair once a day and my hair is so soft and moisturized. Usually my hair is very dry. I have only been using this KISS method for 2 weeks I will try to keep you ladies updated on the progress.

ajoyfuljoy

For my mix I use

one part glycerin
three parts aloe vera juice
one part distilled water

and I throw in a little SAA for fun.

I use this year round and spray on my b/f I DC after I cowash and when putting my hair in a wet bun.

There is a MARKED difference in the feel of my hair! When stop using this if only for a week my hair lets me know!

CurlyMoo

For my mix I use

one part glycerin
one part distilled water

I use this year round and spray on my b/f I DC after I cowash and when putting my hair in a wet bun.

There is a MARKED difference in the feel of my hair! When stop using this if only for a week my hair lets me know!

Can you post a picture of your aloe vera because I thought it was Aloe Vera GEL. I really don't know what kind to get. Does that Aloe Vera have other ingredients included?:perplexed

Ganjababy

I found Glycerin at Wal-Mart in the pharmacy section. I poured 50% of it in a squirt bottle and I mixed 50% water, 75% infusium 23 leave in conditioner and 25% aloe-vera gel. I spray my hair once a day and my hair is so soft and moisturized. Usually my hair is very dry. I have only been using this KISS method for 2 weeks I will try to keep you ladies updated on the progress.

I like the sound of this I will try it and add a little SAA

Amethyst85

Thanks for posting this. I was wondering how everyone was getting on with this after crissi's thread about glycerin.

I tried it out and my hair was shiny and soft but it was super frizzy! i had trouble trying to tie my hair back. i used the 50/50 glycerin and aloe vera mix but i haven't put it on my miss list just yet. Im gonna try it again and add some ORS olive oil (my hair loves this stuff).

These were the other suggestions from the replies in crissi's glycerin thread.
aloe/glycerin/water/saa mix
Aloe Vera, jojoba oil, glycerin mix
aloe/glycerin/distilled water mix
glycerine, rose water and castor oil + EO like pepperment, rosemary, or grapefruit (for scent)

CurlyMoo

I was experiencing extremly tough dry hair. Whenever I moisturised my hair would be dry again in 15-30min! I decided to try glycerin yesterday. It is absolutely amazing! I mixed it with 98% aloe vera gel and a little castor oil. I also tried it with ORS olive oil cream. Both felt amazing.

Can anyone tell how it should be mixed? I did 1/2 glycerin and half other products (50/50). Is this mix safe or is it too much glycerin? Please advise.

I agree this stuff is amazing, however, I still have not figured out how to keep my hair from having that gritty feeling. There is too much residue so I have to cut back on something. I don't use Aloe Vera so that may be the problem.

CurlyMoo

Thanks for posting this. I was wondering how everyone was getting on with this after crissi's thread about glycerin.

I tried it out and my hair was shiny and soft but it was super frizzy! i had trouble trying to tie my hair back. i used the 50/50 glycerin and aloe vera mix but i haven't put it on my miss list just yet. Im gonna try it again and add some ORS olive oil (my hair loves this stuff).

These were the other suggestions from the replies in crissi's glycerin thread.
aloe/glycerin/water/saa mix
Aloe Vera, jojoba oil, glycerin mix
aloe/glycerin/distilled water mix
glycerine, rose water and castor oil + EO like pepperment, rosemary, or grapefruit (for scent)

Thank you for this, sent is a problem for me. I don't use any and I don't like the smell of just glycerine and castor oil. :blush: I would love to add some lavender.

ajoyfuljoy

Can you post a picture of your aloe vera because I thought it was Aloe Vera GEL. I really don't know what kind to get. Does that Aloe Vera have other ingredients included?:perplexed

I just use the juice b/c it's supposed to be a spray and I prefer the juice.

Ganjababy

I did not get any gritty or sticky feeling with this mixture (as I get when I use S curl activator spray). My hair is no longer straightened so I don't know how it works with straightened hair (for those who have straightened hair)

I agree this stuff is amazing, however, I still have not figured out how to keep my hair from having that gritty feeling. There is too much residue so I have to cut back on something. I don't use Aloe Vera so that may be the problem.

cocopuff06

That's exactly what I have been using for the past 2 weeks and my natural hair is lovin it! :grin:

lilsparkle825

ok, now i gotta go to the vitamin shoppe.

i keep on hearing about glycerin and AV, man. my mom's hair is outta-this-world dry and while DCs are helping she needs a good moisturizer.

AwesomelyNappy

For my mix I use

one part glycerin
one part distilled water

That is basically my glycerin mix as well! (except i put in maybe 2 parts aloe vera juice and 2 parts water with the one part glycerine). Sometimes i like to put in some SAA too.

Also, after I moisturize, i put in a few quarter sized amounts (like $.75 worth) of Castor oil in to seal it in... My hair loveeesss it! I can also skip a day or two because my hair stays soft and moisturized for a long time! This will be a life long staple of mine!

Candy_C

glycerin is great, vegetable that is

my 4a/b customers love it

which is why i added it to the oil moisturizer :yep:

Galadriel

Evsbaby, we are sooooo on the same page! I've been battling dryness and when I started using glycerin my hair has felt so much better! I've just been using 1 part glycerin (say, about 1/2 a cup) and an equal quantity of conditioner, oil, and a bit of water.

conskeeted

So... I was wondering...

The amazing feeling that everyone gets with the glycerin is AFTER it dries, right? I think I'm just touching my hair too much and I touch it when it's wet and it feels sticky. But I tied my hair down that night and woke up and it felt soft and BETTER - but still not without a little stickiness (definitely not as much as when it was damp).

I used a 50% distilled water, 20% veg glycerine, 10% aloe vera jelly and 10% EVCO.

Anyone else get the super stickies? Or maybe I'm just overly sensitive to the feeling of stuff in my hair?

My ultimate goal is to get super shiny, super soft curly head with the least amount of yuck factor after running my fingers through it.

Anyone?

Anyone? :look:

I have a question? I used to use a glycerin/rose water/jojoba/pepermint mixture, but I read somewhere that since there aren't any preservatives in this "homemade" mixture, you run the chance of having bacteria in the bottle if you don't use it promptly. Has anyone heard of this?

Ganjababy

I have a question? I used to use a glycerin/rose water/jojoba/pepermint mixture, but I read somewhere that since there aren't any preservatives in this "homemade" mixture, you run the chance of having bacteria in the bottle if you don't use it promptly. Has anyone heard of this?

bumping bumping

~~HoneyComb~~

I love vegetable glycerin, but I can only use about 1-2 tbsp per 8 oz of water or my hair is way too sticky. I also put a couple of drops of peppermint oil to the mix, and that's my daily spritz.

Noir

As long as water isn't added to your concoction you should be fine. More than likely a few of those ingredients have preservatives anyway.:yep: