Going to Africa Need TIPS!!

YummyC

So I'll be in East Africa for six months and I'm trying to put together a hair do's and dont's while I'm there. So protective styling and stretching are at the top of the list becasue I will have no resource to relax my hair or anything like that. Please share all of your tips and tricks so that my hair doesn't break off like it did when I was in Iraq. Thanks ladies :)

PS Any 4b stretched for six months or more? If so how? what did you do ?

RegaLady

Heyyyy, I went to West Africa years ago! That will be a nice trip.:yep: When I went, I wore cornrows. I didn't do many fancy stuff, because the resources and the knowledge was not there. Where I went, the air is dry, and I didn't want to be bothered. Braids are good to go, and spraying moisturizers or leave ins are good. It depends on why you are going, and how long you will be there, also.

naijamerican

I just got back from Nigeria about 4 days ago. I had microbraids put in before I left and I am so glad I did so. I don't know what the climate in East Africa is like, but Nigeria is so humid at this time of the year that there would have been problems if I didn't do it the way I did it. I am 4B natural, by the way. Good luck and safe travels!

YummyC

Braids don't like me :( Last time I had braids 199? and my edges paid the price. Since then, I haven't got braids at all.

cmw45

I just read the comment about your hair not liking the braids. That stinks because my sorority sister got them put in fwhile she was there for like $7.00 inlcuding tip.

YummyC

I just read the comment about your hair not liking the braids. That stinks because my sorority sister got them put in fwhile she was there for like $7.00 inlcuding tip.

cornrows might do but braids won't work :(

RegaLady

I just got back from Nigeria about 4 days ago. I had microbraids put in before I left and I am so glad I did so. I don't know what the climate in East Africa is like, but Nigeria is so humid at this time of the year that there would have been problems if I didn't do it the way I did it. I am 4B natural, by the way. Good luck and safe travels!

Oppps, maybe it was humid. Yeah, I went to Nigeria. And the micros there were dirt cheap. Had I known that, I would have let them do it!:look:

But, although Africa is a wonderful place, it is not the place to wear your hair down, or struggle with it.:nono: Keep it braided, IMHO!:ohwell:

BrooklynSouth

Have your hair braided while there, bring hair scarves and hats..I loved Ghana {west coast..still...}while I was there. Hair braiding was much less than in NYC and I used my suncreen as though it was lotion...you and your hair WILL BAKE!
Mosquito repellant is a must-head to toe..got netting????????

nicey

Yes, I agree with the rest of the crew. I'd say braids or cornrows are the way to go. I was in West Africa at this time 2 years ago and I put my own braids in. The weather there is very hot and humid this time of year. I then let the stylist in Africa put twists in my hair before I left I only paid $20 and she did a very beautiful job. Keep some braid spray or your own concoction handy. Hope you have a swell time.

simplydara

when I lived in nigeria (west coast) i wore braids maybe 90% of the time....you could also try a wig i guess...although you would be sweating like crazy under there.
You can get your hair braided beautifully in africa, and for a very good price...

curlcomplexity

formerly qtslim83
Have your hair braided while there, bring hair scarves and hats..I loved Ghana {west coast..still...}while I was there. Hair braiding was much less than in NYC and I used my suncreen as though it was lotion...you and your hair WILL BAKE!
Mosquito repellant is a must-head to toe..got netting????????

ITA! The last time I went to Nigeria, I got waist length mini braids done my a family friend for less then $20 dollars U.S. currency. Of course I gave her a nice tip. Plus, it's a wonderful experience getting your braided there:yep:

talata

I'm currently in Ghana and everyone so far is right about the humidity. My roller sets usually last only a day after I do them so I generally were protective styles through out the week. My hair is still too short to bun so I wear phony ponies most of the time.

Braids and cornrows are dead cheap like everyone keeps saying... about $10 for cornrows and an average of $20 for most braid styles. Word of caution though - make sure you insist and insist again on them not braiding it too tight. They tend to do that a lot. And for those of us with fragile edges, we always pay. I have decided I'm done with braiding out here though, I've realized I just can't win with them.

I don't know too much about the weather in East Africa though... the weather in Africa is so diverse. My brother just came back from Kenya and says the weather there currently is comparable to "late spring weather" on the east coast (I'm originally from DC). So I guess u are in luck if that's where you are going.

That said, Africa is not as "bad" as some may think... U will always find an experienced stylist (American of European trained if u prefer) wherever you go - that's if you decide you need one... I know I always do. I however do my own hair now ever since I met LHCF. It will take a bit of searching and they tend to be in the top class salons which cost a way more than the average local stylists do. But still not as expensive as it is back home.

My advice, just take with you your staples and be prepared to wear protective styles most of the time. like I said, u will most likely find a stylist if u happen to be in a bind. And u might even be pleasantly surprised cos in my experience, they tend to take their time more with you and are very open to doing things your way if u decide you want to instruct them every step of the way.

I have this lady who I go to when I'm feeling lazy or want to feel pampered and since she's gotten to know me, she's always like "Now what do I do next" and "How do u want me to do that" after every step in doing my hair. I looooove her. Of cause now we both laugh every time she says that cos she mostly knows how I want things done. I really feel spoilt out here.

Have fun though, u'll love the laid back lifestyle around here. If you have the time, do what I do; I get a facial and massage once every month ($45-60) depending on the therapy I choose. Manicure and pedicure with parafin wax treatment every other week ($20). I sometimes let them roller set my hair if I'm feeling lazy ($10)...

I go to this place - its 15 minutes from my office - they are great. I if only you were coming to Ghana :(

http://www.allureghana.com/index_asic.php

-

Last edited:

Golden

Where in east Africa are you planning on going? Because I'm from Eritrea and whenever I'm there I usually go to the salon like every four days and rollerset my hair, it's very cheap. I have also visited Ethiopia and I usually get a rollerset there as well. You can also get nice braids for a very low price while you're there.

chickory_bee

I was just getting ready to say why do people think the knowledge and expertise doesn't exist in Africa (which by the way is a CONTINENT with over 53 countries).
They do have intelligent, educated people over there, and just like in the US, there are some PATHETIC stylists/beauticians, and some good ones...That's the case wherever you go.

You can just bun your hair, do protective styles that let your hair breathe. You have easy access to things like Palm and Coconut oil, and I know on the West Coast, you can get almost ANY product you would find in America.

I feel that the DC heat is worse than some of the West African Countries. I know that the wind still blows in breezes from the coast, but in DC I just suffocate...I don't know about the Eastern Countries...but I know the hairdressers are eager to please, and some are open to learn, so if you tell them HOW you want it done, they will do it that way...

Hope things work out.

Mandy4610

IMHO, I think that there are some really good stylists in Africa. I am from Zambia and I know that there are some of the best braiders there and for dirt cheap.
The stylists are usually good because they will not argue with what you want done to your own hair, they are usually very respectful of other people's hair. I would say bring some good products and they will take care of you. They just may not have the products we use in north America, but you will be ok, they will take care of you.:grin::grin:. I know this because when I lived in Zambia, my parents owned a Salon, if we had all the products and info that we have in North America, WOW, we would have really hooked people up, but we did our best with what we had.

*5+5

I was in Africa last summer and I didn't know anything about proper hair care at the time & my entire nape fell out due to wearing my hair in a pony the entire time (combined w/humidity, sweat--it wasn't a good look). My last 2 weeks there I found a lady that did the feed-in cornrows for 7$ and that brought my hair back a lil' before I found the hair boards. I would recommend loose box braids or twist and hosing them down daily w/what ever leave-in, oil mix u can come up with. Their were tons of lady in Ghana & Benin who did braids (cornrows, box, micro, goddess, etc) and they are really affordable. Have fun in Africa I can't wait to go back.

loolalooh

IA with everyone else on the braids or cornrows. It can even be twist extensions or a constant braided bun with your real hair. Some sort protective style.

Please moisturize often too - whether humid or not humid. I'm not sure about the weather in East Africa, but I went without moisturizing my hair (but in braids) in West Africa and sufferred dearly. I had to cut at 3 inches.

Soliel185

I would say cornrows sounds like a good suggestion. Since you have to get them redone every few weeks you can keep tabs on your hair and stop any damage you notice before it's out of control.

If you don't already - try incorporating aloe vera, vegetable glycerine, and coconut oil into your regimen. Glyerine for moisture, Aloe for Moisture, stength, and sun protection, and coconut oil to seal - also helps with hair condition and sun protection. They're pretty basic ingredients, so you should be able to find them easily and they're relatively cheap.

Keen

Don't forget to take all your vaccination shots before you go. You may think you don't need it but better be safe than sorry.

anon123

I don't know the climate or conditions you'll be in, but I don't know why there should necessarily be something so different about being in Africa. I was in Zimbabwe for 5 months, most of the time I wore braids with extensions and cornrows. I was in South Africa for 3 months, most of the time I wore an afro puff or twists. I really don't know what being in Africa has to do with anything. Maybe if you said you're going some place humid, or some place dry, or some place where you won't have time to do your hair, or some place in the countryside with no running water (i've washed with a bucket and cups of water, no biggie), maybe there'd be some advice more specific to your situation, but Africa is a big place with lots of different environments. Hope I don't come off as sounding mean.

Nonie

What country are you going to? I'm from Kenya in East Africa. Perhaps if you're more specific, people from that country can be more precise about where you could have your hair done if you do not want to get it braided. But braiding doesn't have to be w/ extensions--which I'm guessing might've been what you didn't like(?). And if you were going to Kenya, I could recommend the stylist who's braided our hair (the ladies in my family) from when my sister was a toddler. She's ever so gentle and so good at what she does that you will not be sorry you went to her. She's very creative too. I used to ask her to cornrow my hair in a style that's never been done and she'd always impress me. And I believe she will listen to your direction as far as what products you want used. Because I didn't know as much about hair as I do now, I'd say go to her after washing and conditioning, ie ready to get your hair braided--since I don't know if she follows LHCF rules in her washing and conditioning as I haven't been to her in ages.

As far as getting touch-ups are concerned, if you're relaxed, I'd need time to find out where you should go. You might just carry your relaxer kit w/ you to be on the safe side, if it isn't one of the ones that have been around for ages. Oh wait, I don't even know what country in East Africa you're going to....

Last edited:

ekomba

So I'll be in East Africa for six months and I'm trying to put together a hair do's and dont's while I'm there. So protective styling and stretching are at the top of the list becasue I will have no resource to relax my hair or anything like that. Please share all of your tips and tricks so that my hair doesn't break off like it did when I was in Iraq. Thanks ladies :)

PS Any 4b stretched for six months or more? If so how? what did you do ?

i would rather say that due to the humid climate and hot weather u gonna experience one of those growth spurts. no matter what i do to the hair, i sweat the whole month i m there, so i tend to rinse my hair often even though water is scarce but as it is spring water its way better for the hair than the water in europe and the states full of calcium. its been a long time i had such a growth spurt. i hadnt been in africa for 15years.. i went back to my native country but hot hot hot. cornrows is a good choice but i rather just do a ponytail, or a braid you dont want bulkiness, be able to rinse the hair as you see fit just do a bun cause hair will make you hot and mostly enjoy your trip girl. if i were u i would just bring shampoo, conditionner, scarves to cover your hair bun and it s a great fashion statement, hats, comfortable sunny dresses, shorts tank tops a shawl if it s get cooler, or restaurants and serums serums serums for the hair that s basically all u need oh and sandals and voilaaaaaa. you could always get cornrows over there it s dirt cheaper and enjoyyyyyyy

YummyC

I'm currently in Ghana and everyone so far is right about the humidity. My roller sets usually last only a day after I do them so I generally were protective styles through out the week. My hair is still too short to bun so I wear phony ponies most of the time.

Braids and cornrows are dead cheap like everyone keeps saying... about $10 for cornrows and an average of $20 for most braid styles. Word of caution though - make sure you insist and insist again on them not braiding it too tight. They tend to do that a lot. And for those of us with fragile edges, we always pay. I have decided I'm done with braiding out here though, I've realized I just can't win with them.

I don't know too much about the weather in East Africa though... the weather in Africa is so diverse. My brother just came back from Kenya and says the weather there currently is comparable to "late spring weather" on the east coast (I'm originally from DC). So I guess u are in luck if that's where you are going.

That said, Africa is not as "bad" as some may think... U will always find an experienced stylist (American of European trained if u prefer) wherever you go - that's if you decide you need one... I know I always do. I however do my own hair now ever since I met LHCF. It will take a bit of searching and they tend to be in the top class salons which cost a way more than the average local stylists do. But still not as expensive as it is back home.

My advice, just take with you your staples and be prepared to wear protective styles most of the time. like I said, u will most likely find a stylist if u happen to be in a bind. And u might even be pleasantly surprised cos in my experience, they tend to take their time more with you and are very open to doing things your way if u decide you want to instruct them every step of the way.

I have this lady who I go to when I'm feeling lazy or want to feel pampered and since she's gotten to know me, she's always like "Now what do I do next" and "How do u want me to do that" after every step in doing my hair. I looooove her. Of cause now we both laugh every time she says that cos she mostly knows how I want things done. I really feel spoilt out here.

Have fun though, u'll love the laid back lifestyle around here. If you have the time, do what I do; I get a facial and massage once every month ($45-60) depending on the therapy I choose. Manicure and pedicure with parafin wax treatment every other week ($20). I sometimes let them roller set my hair if I'm feeling lazy ($10)...

I go to this place - its 15 minutes from my office - they are great. I if only you were coming to Ghana :(

http://www.allureghana.com/index_asic.php

-

I'm going to Djibouti in North East Africa. Anyone been there before?
I checked the weather today and it said it was 111deg F so I know its going to be bad in Jult Aug time frame. I spent a year in Iraq's heat so I'll survive this one too. My hair suffered in Iraq though and I don't want that to happen this time.

The braids sound so tempting but I can't do it. My edges are just back to normal and I still remember how ugly I felt when I had no edges because of tight braids.

I'm looking forward to the trip though :)

I planning on taking my staple con and poo as well as my UBH leave in. Any other suggesstions on a leave in? I plan on wearing phony ponies over a baggy, and maybe plaits that are tucked under.

I'll start looking for a couple of hats and cute scarves to take with me too. Thanks laides :)

YummyC

I would say cornrows sounds like a good suggestion. Since you have to get them redone every few weeks you can keep tabs on your hair and stop any damage you notice before it's out of control.

If you don't already - try incorporating aloe vera, vegetable glycerine, and coconut oil into your regimen. Glyerine for moisture, Aloe for Moisture, stength, and sun protection, and coconut oil to seal - also helps with hair condition and sun protection. They're pretty basic ingredients, so you should be able to find them easily and they're relatively cheap.

Where can I find the vegetable glycerine and the aloe vera?

YummyC

Don't forget to take all your vaccination shots before you go. You may think you don't need it but better be safe than sorry.

I have an appt next week to get all the shots, I hate needles :( but I have to do it.