Good heavens!!! What have I done?!?!

AJamericanDiva

Thank you, ((((Hotchocolate)))

Boadicea

I'm sorry to hear about your shedding. I hope it goes away soon. I used AO's White Camellia Jasmine shampoo when I experienced some serious shedding in the past.

lovelyyardie

Thanks so much AJD. I guess I knew all along that I should wait, dont want the hair left on my head to wash away with the relaxer
Yes it is an awful feeling
, I too am planning on chucking the Nutrine, it still boggles my mind how it could be used for shedding and seemed to cause mine as well as yours
Anyways thanks again, hope the clarifying helps

SVT

AJD, I'm glad you're feeling a little better!

I used Queen Helene Unscented Garlic shampoo last week and had the same experience as you - tangles, dryness and shed hairs everywhere! I stayed away from the boards because I was so mad!

I had a bad feeling as I was buying this evil product. Here are the ingredients:

Water, Ammonium Lauryl Sulfate, Cocoamidopropyl Betaine, Cocoamide DEA, Garlic Extract (Deodorized), Proplyene Glycol, Disodium EDTA, Diazolidinyl Urea, Methyparaben, Proplyparaben, Citric Acid, Fragrance

I did not make any typos with the spelling. They're printed like that on the bottle.
Para Laboratories needs to hire chemists and marketing editors.
I need to buck up and listen to my intuition and quit trying every product I read about.

I only used a small amount one time and my hair tangled up and dried up in good fashion! It was unreal trying to get my w i d e tooth comb through my hair. Globs of hair kept floating toward the drain. No. They were probably swimming away from the unholy suds of the garlic shampoo. I was sooooo pisssseeeddd. I used up pratically all of my conditioners at one time trying to fix that mess.

All last week I deep conditioned my hair by sleeping in conditioner and oils. It just now got decent today.
I'll be doing an Amla powder treatment two or three times this week. That always seems to help my shedding.

AJD, I know how ya feel.
I'm pretty sure all this shedding is only temporary as we get back to our old routines.

AJamericanDiva

[ QUOTE ]
Boadicea said:
I'm sorry to hear about your shedding. I hope it goes away soon. I used AO's White Camellia Jasmine shampoo when I experienced some serious shedding in the past.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for your support, Bo!

AJamericanDiva

[ QUOTE ]
lovelyyardie said:
Thanks so much AJD. I guess I knew all along that I should wait, dont want the hair left on my head to wash away with the relaxer
Yes it is an awful feeling
, I too am planning on chucking the Nutrine, it still boggles my mind how it could be used for shedding and seemed to cause mine as well as yours
Anyways thanks again, hope the clarifying helps

[/ QUOTE ]

Girl, it's better to remedy the situation than make matters worse by being cute for a day!!!!!!!
There'll be other 4th of Julys.

lovelyyardie

Yeah SVT unfortunately I am a member of the Nutrine Garlic shampoo haters club. When I first saw AJDs post I was like
because I figured I had weird hair or it was a figment of my imagination but since it happened to you and her as well as me, there must be something to it. Anyways out it goes, hopefully I'll have some success after getting back to my old routine. I guess the old adage, "If it aint broke, dont fix it", really holds true

AJamericanDiva

[ QUOTE ]
SVT said:
AJD, I'm glad you're feeling a little better!

I used Queen Helene Unscented Garlic shampoo last week and had the same experience as you - tangles, dryness and shed hairs everywhere! I stayed away from the boards because I was so mad!

I had a bad feeling as I was buying this evil product. Here are the ingredients:

Water, Ammonium Lauryl Sulfate, Cocoamidopropyl Betaine, Cocoamide DEA, Garlic Extract (Deodorized), Proplyene Glycol, Disodium EDTA, Diazolidinyl Urea, Methyparaben, Proplyparaben, Citric Acid, Fragrance

I did not make any typos with the spelling. They're printed like that on the bottle.
Para Laboratories needs to hire chemists and marketing editors.
I need to buck up and listen to my intuition and quit trying every product I read about.

I only used a small amount one time and my hair tangled up and dried up in good fashion! It was unreal trying to get my w i d e tooth comb through my hair. Globs of hair kept floating toward the drain. No. They were probably swimming away from the unholy suds of the garlic shampoo. I was sooooo pisssseeeddd. I used up pratically all of my conditioners at one time trying to fix that mess.

All last week I deep conditioned my hair by sleeping in conditioner and oils. It just now got decent today.
I'll be doing an Amla powder treatment two or three times this week. That always seems to help my shedding.

AJD, I know how ya feel.
I'm pretty sure all this shedding is only temporary as we get back to our old routines.

[/ QUOTE ]

SVT, your experience sounds like what happened to me... I used my wide tooth Jilbere shower comb and fell to pieces as my hair floated into my hairtrap I keep over the drain, only to be harvested and studied. Tonight I washed with the John Frieda Relax Total Clarity shampoo and conditioned with Miss Key 10 en 1 Super Conditioner. My hair is SOOOOOOOOO much better. The amount shed this time was closer to the amount I normally shed. See my album under My Haircare Journey as I posted a comparison pic of the hair lost last night vs tonight. Last night I did apply my Surge, so I'll try and do that regularly from now on. Hang in there girl.

AJamericanDiva

[ QUOTE ]
SVT said:
Dang. The garlic shampoo got you too, yardie?

[/ QUOTE ]

What the heck is in that shampoo that would cause our hair to commit suicide rather than be subjected to further exposure to that shampoo? The ironic thing is that if I recall correctly, it says that you should use it 3 times a week for a month or something like that.
Girls, I'd surely be bald if I continued that way!!!!!!!!

lovelyyardie

I know that there will be other fourth of Julys but I had a hot date planned with my boyfriend
and my hair right now looks a hot mess. Not to mention I have an appt with the board famous Marcia of Lavar Hair designs for Friday. The shedding isnt that much anymore so I'm thinking just maybe my hair can be ready for my touch up
. Anyways I was thinking I'll go and let her see what I'm working with and see what she says, I hope it can be done because I NEED something besides this Diana Ross look I've got going

AJamericanDiva

[ QUOTE ]
lovelyyardie said:
Yeah SVT unfortunately I am a member of the Nutrine Garlic shampoo haters club. When I first saw AJDs post I was like
because I figured I had weird hair or it was a figment of my imagination but since it happened to you and her as well as me, there must be something to it. Anyways out it goes, hopefully I'll have some success after getting back to my old routine. I guess the old adage, "If it aint broke, dont fix it", really holds true

[/ QUOTE ]

Lovelyyardie...... you ain't joking about the old adage. Thank God my hair seems to be coming back into its own. I will return to my daily Surging.

lovelyyardie

OMG AJamericanDiva, I was thinking the same thing about how frequently they said it was to be used. I would surely be bald if I used it that often. Good thing you posted about this because my foolish behind would just figure that I was hallucinating
after all the previous raves for this product. Thanks a bunch for saving me some hair

SVT

[ QUOTE ]
AJamericanDiva said:
[ QUOTE ]
SVT said:

[/ QUOTE ]

What the heck is in that shampoo that would cause our hair to commit suicide rather than be subjected to further exposure to that shampoo? The ironic thing is that if I recall correctly, it says that you should use it 3 times a week for a month or something like that.

[/ QUOTE ]

No doubt!

My bottle says to shampoo every other day for 4 weeks then 2 or 3 times a week thereafter.

I think not!

AJamericanDiva

[ QUOTE ]
lovelyyardie said:
I know that there will be other fourth of Julys but I had a hot date planned with my boyfriend
and my hair right now looks a hot mess. Not to mention I have an appt with the board famous Marcia of Lavar Hair designs for Friday. The shedding isnt that much anymore so I'm thinking just maybe my hair can be ready for my touch up
. Anyways I was thinking I'll go and let her see what I'm working with and see what she says, I hope it can be done because I NEED something besides this Diana Ross look I've got going

[/ QUOTE ]

Girl, whatever you do be careful... better to sport a phony pony on your hot date than have him run your fingers on top of a bald cup!!!!!!

SVT

[ QUOTE ]
lovelyyardie said:
Yeah SVT unfortunately I am a member of the Nutrine Garlic shampoo haters club.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, the brand I used was Queen Helene. She needs to be dethroned.

SVT

[ QUOTE ]
AJamericanDiva said:
What the heck is in that shampoo that would cause our hair to commit suicide rather than be subjected to further exposure to that shampoo?

[/ QUOTE ]

In my case, I'm sure it was the ALS. I knew better too.

AJamericanDiva

[ QUOTE ]
lovelyyardie said:
OMG AJamericanDiva, I was thinking the same thing about how frequently they said it was to be used. I would surely be bald if I used it that often. Good thing you posted about this because my foolish behind would just figure that I was hallucinating
after all the previous raves for this product. Thanks a bunch for saving me some hair

[/ QUOTE ]

Girl, you and me both... I had to wonder if I was the only person who experienced it. Now for the other adage..."What's good for the goose may not be good for the gander." Did you see the comparison pic I put in my hair album? This was the loss with today's wash. BIG difference, that's why I don't think it's postpartum fall.

AJamericanDiva

[ QUOTE ]
SVT said:
[ QUOTE ]
AJamericanDiva said:
[ QUOTE ]
SVT said:

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No doubt!

My bottle says to shampoo every other day for 4 weeks then 2 or 3 times a week thereafter.

I think not!

[/ QUOTE ]

SVT, I'm sure that's what the bottle said, but wasn't sue as I already tossed it. Your instructions sound more in line with what I read.

lovelyyardie

to the bald cup comment, I am gonna see Marcia and see what she recommends as I trust her completely and honestly I think the shedding isnt that bad anymore, but it's bothersome to have more than usual, you know?

Wow that is a considerable difference in terms of shedding
; my shedding wasnt as bad but it was definitely a lot more than I am used to. I'm so mad
that I tried this when I didnt even need it, like you I was using it as a preventive measure because it was getting closet to my touch up time and ppl say shedding is to be expected late into a relaxer so I wanted to keep it at bay before it started
(dont know if my thinking was quite right). Anyways as you said in a previous message, this was a hard lesson learned and I will NEVER use that crap again

AJamericanDiva

[ QUOTE ]
SVT said:
[ QUOTE ]
lovelyyardie said:
Yeah SVT unfortunately I am a member of the Nutrine Garlic shampoo haters club.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, the brand I used was Queen Helene. She needs to be dethroned.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dethrone her!!!!!!!!!

SVT

I just looked at your shedding pics. *shudders*

My globs were similar.

They look like small, furry animals and in one pic, it looks like the mama furry and the baby furry.

BTW: Lil' Papa is too cute with him fat cheeks! Congratulations!

AJamericanDiva

[ QUOTE ]
They look like small, furry animals and in one pic, it looks like the mama furry and the baby furry.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now that's funny!!!!!!!!

Lil' Papa's becoming my handbag. Talk about "Love a han'!"

NYCQT16

Natural Again
I am sorry...hair growth is quite a process and I know it must have been heartbreaking to see that happen....Just don't get discouraged by the set-back and the conditioner washes sound like a good idea. Good luck and keep us posted

AJamericanDiva

[ QUOTE ]
NYCQT16 said:
I am sorry...hair growth is quite a process and I know it must have been heartbreaking to see that happen....Just don't get discouraged by the set-back and the conditioner washes sound like a good idea. Good luck and keep us posted

[/ QUOTE ]

Will do... it seems to have started turning around already. Check my album for shot of tonight's shed hair vs. last night. BIG difference!

Irresistible

Im so glad your hair is doing better, yours and SVT's and lovelyyardie's too, i almost tried the garlic shampoo recently on my daughters hair , im so glad i didnt. I got the pure tea instead which worked great on her hair , but left mine a tangled , dry , matted mess. i am not gonna go with the raves at all from now on, and ONLY stick with what i know already for both me and her. guess the means my pj'ism is cured now. lol....

btw Diva the baby is such a cutie and he does have gorgeous hair!!

Nonie

Girls, I'm at a loss. But as I was telling Lovelyyardie, although I'm not a PJ, any time I've been at a risk of becoming one and trying out sth I heard raves about, the absence of a list of ingredients online has cured that touch of madness in a jiffy. I couldn't find a listing of the ingredients online no matter how hard I looked. Just sweet nothings about how well it works.
I notice they forgot to add the clause "May have the opposite effect on some heads."
Man, it's really bugging me that the explanation for this crazy shedding isn't obvious. Been racking my head all morning in vain...
And now I've come up with more questions... Why garlic? Does anyone know why garlic is supposed to help with shedding?
And does it depend on whether they used old garlic or fresh garlic?
Oh why oh why do I get myself into trying to solve weird puzzles when I know how hard it will be to quit?

Leslie_C

Americandiva,
Im soo sorry about what happened to your hair. If it makes u feel any better, I actually pulled about that much hair out of my head one day when I called myself drying my hair with a round brush.

I SHOULDVE known better, I DONT have skills when it comes to hair styling. I got the brush stuck in my hair and I was boo hooing and my boyfriend had to help me get it out, by cutting the hair bristles...but I still lost a handful of hair because I panicked and only tangled my hair more by trying to unwind it in every direction! NOW THAT was dumb!

Im so glad that your hair is better and that you are feeling better too, you are a good sport to be making jokes;)

Anyway, I was thinking maybe u could just get your hair pressed out with a flat iron for the 4th? It looks as good as a perm and should last through the humidity if its fresh. I have a friend who is transitioning and was having hers pressed occasionally, and just recently had the big chop! But before she cut off the relaxed part, the roots would get as straight as a perm. good luck!

Neroli

[ QUOTE ]
nonie said:
. . .although I'm not a PJ, any time I've been at a risk of becoming one and trying out sth I heard raves about, the absence of a list of ingredients online has cured that touch of madness in a jiffy.

[/ QUOTE ]

DITTO. With regard to shampoos, I don't even experiment anymore, I just stick with nexxus therappe. Below is a list of shampoo surfacants and their varying levels of harshness as well as a brief description of how to shampoo from the website www.hair-shampoo.com. I notice that this garlic 'poo has one of the harshest surfacants right at the top of the ingredients. I won't TOUCH 'poos with anything other than the very mild "Sodium Laureth Sulfate", I don't care how much others rave about a product, if it's got those other surfacants, I RUN. Same thing with leave-ins, if I find that the ingredients are loaded with 'cones, I just "say no" and keep my cash . . .

Examples of surfactants that you might find on the ingredient list of your favorite shampoo are:

Ammonium Lauryl Sulfate - very harsh
Ammonium Laureth Sulfate- harsh
Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS) - still rather harsh
Sodium Laureth Sulfate (SLES) - mild, great choice
TEA Lauryl Sulfate & TEA Laureth Sulfate- both are good choices

Truths about shampoos:

Almost all salon lines include products that fall short on advertised claims. For example, color-enhancing shampoos have not actually been shown to extend the life of hair dyes and formulations for UV protection are of little use.
It is only necessary to lather your hair once under normal conditions. Also, the amount of lather and foam generated by a shampoo does not affect its ability to clean hair.
Shampoos are good at cleaning hair. Any benefits beyond that are suspect, and many claims on the labels have no basis in fact.
In general, better formulated products have longer ingredient lists.
Baby shampoos are not designed for cleaning adult hair, especially when alot of styling products have been used.
The only part of the shampoo label that's regulated by the Food and Drug Administration is the list of ingredients. Manufacturers can and do make any claim they like on the unregulated portions of the label. Sometimes the hype has some merit and at others it has none.
Salon-brand shampoos don't necessarily outperform inexpensive store brands. For the most part the same ingredients are used in all products.
Beware of shampoos that claim to repair or nourish damaged hair. Hair is dead and it can't be repaired. Shampoo products can only provide temporary benefits to the look and feel of hair.
Shampoos that are 'all natural' or 'organic' are suspect in that many natural ingredients can't clean hair. The efficacy of organic plants, vitamins, etc. has never been proven. After all, hair is dead.
It's not necessary to stick with the same brand for all your hair needs.
Shampoos do not build up on hair or work differently on hair over time. Conditioning elements, styling products and chemical processes do build up, though, and sometimes a temporary change in shampoo brands will help.

How to Shampoo the Hair:
Wet the scalp and hair using warm or cool water (hot water can be drying to the hair and scalp). Apply a quarter sized amount of shampoo to palm and rub hands together to evenly distribute. Now apply shampoo to scalp by running the palms of the hands over your hair. Massage gently with your fingertips and then rinse thoroughly. It’s not necessary to repeat unless you have an oily scalp or have used some heavy duty hair pomeade-like products.

After rinsing, apply some conditioner in one hand and rub palms together to evenly distribute. Apply conditioner from the middle of the hair shaft down to ends. Avoid the scalp unless scalp is dry. Comb conditioner through hair to distribute product evenly. Leave conditioner on hair for a few seconds to help smooth the cuticle. Rinse thoroughly. Some people believe a cold water rinse is best and will add shine to the hair.

Shampooing frequency for normal hair depends on whether hair is curly or straight. Straight hair should be washed every day for a sleek, radiant look. Curly hair, however, becomes too dry and fly away if it’s washed too often, so it is better to shampoo and condition every other day. At a minimum, hair should be washed twice a week