Got my hair blown out today....have a question (pics)

authormom

Okay, so I did it. I took my sew in down and went and to the Dominican salon around the corner from my house. I guess I am pretty satisfied with the outcome, kind of disappointed in my length. :nono: My goal is to grow my hair long (1st goal APL/2nd goal BSL) with as little perming/chemicals as possible.

Is it possible to preserve my ends? She kept telling me (or rather telling her daughter to tell me :lachen:) that I needed a trim. I've heard horror stories about them not cutting/trimming well. So that's my first concern my other is that I really want to keep my length. Can I save my ends without just chopping them off? Maybe hot oil treatments? Co-Washing? Baggying?

Any insight/tips/direction to links would be greatly appreciated. I am taking a huge step with this personal challenge and I am hair obsessed, so I've been a little anxious (actually teared up a few times today :sad:) about this whole thing. It's taking all I have in me not to run out and get another weave or some micros. *Le Sigh...*

Thanks again!

D.L.

authormom

Based on the pictures, you can wait before you get a trim. Are your ends breaking?

Thanks for replying.

No my ends aren't breaking. But she insisted that my hair wouldn't grow because it was "uneven" and that I needed a trim whenever I did get my relaxer. The thought of cutting my hair makes me sick to my stomach. :nono: I am not 100% sure I am going back to the salon to continue/maintain my progress, may find another hair dresser to help keep up relaxers (trims) and learn proper maintenance myself at home (weekly).

I'm trying to build my arsenal of products. So far I have:

Salerm 21
KUZ (Italian Grow Oil)
Olive Oil
Kemi Oil (It's old school, but I really like how my hair feels with it)
*Feel free to suggest anything you like. I'm learning.*

Sorry this is so long, but I really want to grow my own hair. Really tired of the weaves/micros and wanna get off to the right start. (Minus the crying eventually. LOL!)

D*

http://public.fotki.com/authormom/

Lynnerie

Your ends don't look bad to me. If they are not splitting or breaking I'd just go hardcore on protecting them. Your hair is right on your shoulders so you should put it up so its not grazing against your clothes.

Baggying keeps those ends nice and moist you can do this at night. I'm not one for protective styling but it really does help when trying to get passed the length you are right now. Wear your hair up. Thats my advice.

ETA: Certain sections of your hair may grow faster than others so I wouldn't listen "hair won't grow unless its even" lie. You know thats not true. When I was relaxed and went to Dominican salons I let them trim my hair and she cut it blunt all the way around taking me from collarbone-length to darn near chin. I was pissed. Don't do it.

Last edited:

authormom

Thank you so much for your response. I am looking into exactly how to do 'baggying' and I do plan on wearing my hair up a lot. I guess I'd call it a protective style. I work from home, so I don't really have to "mess" with my hair a lot unless I'm going out.

Thanks again!

Your ends don't look bad to me. If they are not splitting or breaking I'd just go hardcore on protecting them. Your hair is right on your shoulders so you should put it up so its not grazing against your clothes.

Baggying keeps those ends nice and moist you can do this at night. I'm not one for protective styling but it really does help when trying to get passed the length you are right now. Wear your hair up. Thats my advice.

authormom

Omg! I was thinking the SAME THING! That is definitely not what I want. I dang near (ok I did :ohwell:) cried when I came home after getting it taken down from the weave. So to think I had to cut more broke my heart.

Do you have a recommendation on what to apply to hair during the baggying? I'm still trying to find products that work for me.

Thanks again!

ETA: Certain sections of your hair may grow faster than others so I wouldn't listen "hair won't grow unless its even" lie. You know thats not true. When I was relaxed and went to Dominican salons I let them trim my hair and she cut it blunt all the way around taking me from collarbone-length to darn near chin. I was pissed. Don't do it.[/QUOTE]

Reecie

Girl,

Everything is going to be fine. I remember when I was in your shoes and felt I was a slave to the weave! Why don't you try some clips in and/or a halfwig? It really helped me lay off my ends and gave me access to ALL my hair to deep condition, while still keeping a length I was comfortable with.

Whatever you decide to do, know that with all the knowledge you have received on this board.... you will NEVER be in the situation you are in again, because you will know better. I can't wait to see your progress 5 - 6 months from now. You will not look back, guaranteed.

Happy Hair Growing!

authormom

Your hair is beautiful BTW!

Thank you so much for your kind words of encouragement. I was actually just looking into half wigs for protective styling. I definitely would like to have access to ALL my hair instead just the tiny bit left out with weaves or the braid thing.

I have been "skimming" the boards ever since I got home and have gotten some great tips so far. I hope to have a nice regime for myself soon. I look forward to pushing past SL and going far beyond with a healthy head of hair! :grin:

http://public.fotki.com/authormom/

Girl,

Everything is going to be fine. I remember when I was in your shoes and felt I was a slave to the weave! Why don't you try some clips in and/or a halfwig? It really helped me lay off my ends and gave me access to ALL my hair to deep condition, while still keeping a length I was comfortable with.

Whatever you decide to do, know that with all the knowledge you have received on this board.... you will NEVER be in the situation you are in again, because you will know better. I can't wait to see your progress 5 - 6 months from now. You will not look back, guaranteed.

Happy Hair Growing!

Bnster

Don't worry your length will come as per your progress. As for me I found that the hairdresser will tell you need a trim but when I really look at my ends there are no splits in the ones I examine. If the ends are dry or frizzy keep moisten them with conditioner and seal with an oil/serum. Keep babying them, bag them and smoothing them down. Find out if you need protein treatment. Co-wash if you believe in that. You hair looks good.

Now if you do have the split ends and its breaking then get a trim. I would really make sure before the scissor comes any closer to your ends.

Also I find that hairstylist wants to even your hair out, because not all lengths are equal. Too bad for them!

As for what I use to bagging I use NTM and an oil (EVOO) or if it dry and needs a boost I use John Frieda Collection FRIZZ-EASE SERUM Overnight repair.

Last edited:

authormom

Thank you so much for you reply and suggestions.

They aren't splitting so much as being, like you said, dry/frizzy. I am going to keep babying them rather then jump right in and chop them off. I wrap my hair at night and plan on keeping it wrapped up 90% of the time. I am a tiny bit leary about baggying. (Scared my hair my be too damp when I wake up) But I am going to give it a try and see how it works out for me. If it goes well I will probably incorporate into a 3-4 night a week ritual but only my ponytail.

Thanks again for your product suggestions.

Don't worry your length will come as per your progress. As for me I found that the hairdresser will tell you need a trim but when I really look at my ends there are no splits in the ones I examine. If the ends are dry or frizzy keep moisten them with conditioner and seal with an oil/serum. Keep babying them, bag them and smoothing them down. Find out if you need protein treatment. Co-wash if you believe in that. You hair looks good.

Now if you do have the split ends and its breaking then get a trim. I would really make sure before the scissor comes any closer to your ends.

Also I find that hairstylist wants to even your hair out, because not all lengths are equal. Too bad for them!

As for what I use to bagging I use NTM and an oil (EVOO) or if it dry and needs a boost I use John Frieda Collection FRIZZ-EASE SERUM Overnight repair.