graphic jokes...is this harmless humor for Christians?

kayte

questions about scatological humor

I blogged a joke and then I deleted it.....
it was play on words....which involved slang male anatomy
and then I wondered...is this okay?
It's not how I usually indulge in humor......

I love corny kid-oriented jokes the best..my favorite is
knock knock
who's there?
the interrupting cow
the inter?
MOOOOOOOOOOO)

I do know while the scriptures warns against foolery..etc
I honestly believe God has a sense of humor

BUT ...as I sometimes I have participated in in off color-jokes
I laugh...but wonder at times... what I'm really participating in?

here's what I blogged...title was
Man with Two CxxKs

then when you opened the blog

it opened to this picture of
man_w_2_.jpg

What made me withdraw it was....
I ultimately felt uncomfortable..
I liked the "tricking" part of the joke
but I realized the slang was not a word I like or even use
tho I have used another slang male anatomy word as a verb for someone bothering me
when I've lost my temper...

with guys..I hate that kind of humour...or language
it offends me..I know there's an agenda

but among women..it feels safe.. I find sometimes find
off color/scatological humor ...very funny...& harmless..depending on who is
telling the joke..
but..maybe it's not? should not be at all? if you are Christian?
Was it a characteristic.. you dropped...during...while or after establishing
a Christian life? Or do find it entertaining w/out a problem?
TIA :)

Last edited:

chicacanella

Kayte,

I think what you likely felt was The Holy Spirit tapping you on the shoulder saying, "uh-uh. Don't do that." If it was anything having to with religious upbringing, you wouldn't even have brought yoursef to write it because you already would've felt it was wrong. But when you have The Holy Spirit, things that you don't think are wrong you may begin to do but then you hear that little voice or impression saying, "Nawwwww...erase that right now."

One explanation I can give is like my mom. For instance, she believes that you can't remember the Lord and the breaking of bread and drinking of wine in your own home. She believes that this only can be done in church under the supervision of clergy men. This is almost like what Martin Luther was trying to make the people see in the 95 Theses; that people should be able to read the bible in the privacy of their own home and not have to rely on men to read it for them. If my memory serves correctly I think that is one of his theses.

When I read I Corinthians 11:23 (with illumination from The Holy Spirit) I see nothing wrong with remembering the Lord in the privacy of my own home. But man-made tradition would have stopped me from doing this. While I remember the Lord, I felt no conviction whatsoever. But I believe you could be feeling conviction because The Holy Spirit may be saying not to do it. If it was man-made or religious conviction, you wouldn't even have probably allowed yourself to write it.

chicacanella

I don't know if this helps but if you as always take it too the Lord in prayer.
Ephesians 5:1-4
3But among you there must not be even a hint of sexual immorality, or of any kind of impurity, or of greed, because these are improper for God's holy people. 4Nor should there be obscenity, foolish talk or coarse joking, which are out of place, but rather thanksgiving.

aribell

formerly nicola.kirwan
I don't know if this helps but if you as always take it too the Lord in prayer.
Ephesians 5:1-4
3But among you there must not be even a hint of sexual immorality, or of any kind of impurity, or of greed, because these are improper for God's holy people. 4Nor should there be obscenity, foolish talk or coarse joking, which are out of place, but rather thanksgiving.

This is the verse I was going to quote. I think with humor, the line is crossed, when the subject speaks in a derogatory way about individuals or our sexuality in a way that doesn't honor God's creation, but rather mocks it.

But lately, I've been finding myself appreciating silly/goofy humor (probably as a result of spending too much time with my very young kid brother) more, and I think that a balance is required. John Wesley, one of my favorite old Christians to read, was completely against "levity" of any kind, felt that anything that wasn't serious was a waste of our time and faculties. I don't agree with him (anymore). C.S. Lewis pointed out that there is a lot about our bodies that really can be funny and awkward, and we can laugh about it, just not in a way that debases God's creation.

chicacanella

This is the verse I was going to quote. I think with humor, the line is crossed, when the subject speaks in a derogatory way about individuals or our sexuality in a way that doesn't honor God's creation, but rather mocks it.

But lately, I've been finding myself appreciating silly/goofy humor (probably as a result of spending too much time with my very young kid brother) more, and I think that a balance is required. John Wesley, one of my favorite old Christians to read, was completely against "levity" of any kind, felt that anything that wasn't serious was a waste of our time and faculties. I don't agree with him (anymore). C.S. Lewis pointed out that there is a lot about our bodies that really can be funny and awkward, and we can laugh about it, just not in a way that debases God's creation.

I think that is a good definition and whatever The holy spirit says is innapropriate.

People think that God doesn't laugh but of course He does. He was just laughing at me when I was in the car last week raking my fake hair (wig) back with my fingers as if it was real.:lachen:

inthepink

I think these ladies broke it down really well for you.

I agree with the Holy Spirit having tapped you on the shoulder.

If it's a word you wouldn't normally use, something felt not right even though you were simply typing it for joking purposes.

And moreso - what about non-Christians who may read your blog? They might think - Oh, a Christian uses that term so it must be ok. So, I guess you also have to think about your audience.

No one is perfect but you made the right choice. :)