Grease and Water experiment?

Jadacrys

After reading Naturallady's post about pomade, I am trying something different. I am using a pomade on my hair instead of shea butter based products to seal in moisture.

I have been trying to stay petroleum free, but my hair eats up shea butter, oils, and whatever else I have tried (cremes (i.e., profectiv megagrowth, qhemet heavy cream, hollywood olive creme, elasta qp recovery, etc), shea butter mixtures, shealoe butter, you name it. The better choices for my hair you have to order online. I would rather not be dependent on online stuff, and my pocketbook won't stand for it.

I am using is Vigorol Georgia Peach hair pomade. It has some good ingredients in it like coconut oil and rosemary oil. It is doing a good job with keeping my ends moist and keeping the tangles down in my hair, and less flakes or itchiness on my scalp. This pomade does not seem to sit on top of my hair. It imparts a moist, supple feeling to my hair. I actually have to reapply because my hair seems to eat it up. It's going well-I've been using it for a week.

The routine (4a, natural since 8/03):
Pre-poo dry hair with nature's gate keratin conditioner
shampoo (diluted, about a tablespoon of shampoo to 8 oz water, using motions lavish conditioning),
Condition (suave humectant, or herbal essences fruit fusions)
leave in (abba nourishing) sealed with the pomade (mostly on ends)

Question: Anybody using pomade or grease to seal in moisture? What's your experience bad or good?

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
At the beginning of this week, I started doing this routine... grease and water!

Here's what I do:
Shampoo and sometimes condition
Braid my hair in 10-12 sections with grease to airdry
Once airdry, I unravel the braids
Then, I style my hair in two strand twists using more grease

And that's it! My hair has been lovin' it...it stronger and looks healthier too! :)

Candy_C

i apply a tad of grease when my hair is 90% dry. jus the ends only and to 4 large two strand twists either side of my head and clip under....thick ends

ms-tyler

I just tried this technique about 10 minutes ago. My hair is breaking and shedding so bad..I just don't know what to do. I gave myself an aphogee today and I put grease and a did a ponytail and now it's tied down. I don't know how it's going to come out.. I usually use gel in the front to lay it down.. But I think that's what's causing the major breakage in the front. I feel like crying:( I hopes this works.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
ms-tyler said:
I just tried this technique about 10 minutes ago. My hair is breaking and shedding so bad..I just don't know what to do. I gave myself an aphogee today and I put grease and a did a ponytail and now it's tied down. I don't know how it's going to come out.. I usually use gel in the front to lay it down.. But I think that's what's causing the major breakage in the front. I feel like crying:( I hopes this works.
How often do you use gel? And how often do you use heat?

Jas123

The Star of a Story
MsTyler,
There this leave in conditioner by Always called 911, it's really good for stopping hair hair breakage. A long time ago I colored & relaxed my hair within a 1 weeks time and my hair started coming out, I would just put my hands thru my hair and when I pulled hands out of my hair I would have tons of strands of hair. So I went to Sally's looking for something to stop my hair from falling out and I found 911 and it worked amazingly. I just saturated my hair with it a couple times a day with little or no manipulation and the hair loss stopped.
If you decide to buy make sure it's the one with the blue top (there one that looks exactly the same bottle with a pink top) and says elasticity on the front. HTH

FineChyna

i wanted to bump this up because how that it is summer i am having a hard time retaining moisture even when i am deep conditioning even more.

no one else uses hair grease/pomade to seal in moisture? if you are can you post your results

BillyJay

I'm a grease monkey too.:grin: I love it.

Its really good at keeping the ends protected ect. My motto is " If it works for your hair then do it!":D

gimbap

I've been doing something like this.

If my hair is feeling dry, first I spritz it with Dove Sheer Moisture Mist.
Then I moisturize with a water-based moisturizer.
Then I seal with a grease.
My hair loves it! It stays moist until the next wash.

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
Yep, my hair loves grease! I use Africas best super gro. My hair loves it and it helps rid me of my MTG smell too.;)

FineChyna

for those that are doing this

how often do you wash your hair?
how often are you doing moisturzing and grease?

now what do you do if: you seal in the moisture with grease and like 2 days later your hair is feeling dry. do you wash, moisturize then seal with hair grease or do you just put more moisturizer and grease in your hair and just stick with your normal washing routine?

my hair hates summer and the heat dries out the ends even with me using protective styles and such. i do a deep condition 2xs a month too. maybe i need to do it weekly with my wash?

Twisties

I use grease also. I use blue majic coconut grease or plain vaseline. I put on my hair (not scalp) while it is still damp and it stays soft. I wash my hair once or twice a week. I do it only once on wash day, after that I use a moisturizing lotion daily (ORS Olive Oil for now). No problems with it.

FineChyna

Twisties said:
I use grease also. I use blue majic coconut grease or plain vaseline. I put on my hair (not scalp) while it is still damp and it stays soft. I wash my hair once or twice a week. I do it only once on wash day, after that I use a moisturizing lotion daily (ORS Olive Oil for now). No problems with it.
the grease you put in your hair doesn't seal out the moisture from other products?

Bublin

I have started to use grease again and my hair loves it.

I wash, condition, spray s-curl, apply a leave-in (Organics Kids Detangler) and then apply a little grease to the length and ends.

I then either blow-dry my natural hair then cornrow or twist it up.

Everyday - usually the morning i will re spray with the s-curl and seal the ends with grease. The grease does not block out other moisture you put on top

As i'm on the Wig Challenge (i'm wearing a half-wig) every morning i'll put on a satin skull cap only leaving my hair line on show. Pop on the half wig and go. I need the extra grease on my scalp as covering it every day saps the moisture but only from my scalp it seems - my feels hair is great.

In the evening my hair is very soft and not dry.

Twisties

FineChyna said:
the grease you put in your hair doesn't seal out the moisture from other products?

Hi FineChyna

I don't think so--I am natural and I think the grease just reactivates when I add the moisturizer, sometimes I will just wet my hair with a little water and put a plastic cap on too if I don't want to add more products in the morning.

My hair is in plaits right now (usually two-strand twists), with no extensions added so I have to wet it or add something to get it to curl on the ends. I also use the moisturizer so it wont dry out during the week or between washes.

ctcks

Believe it or not Royal Crown Hair Pomade (not the pressing grease) does a good job sealing. It really takes the edge off general dryness!