grease and water

inthepink

Sometimes I just wonder if I should just go for it. Why is petrolatum and mineral oil bad for hair anyway? Does anyone find that it is GOOD for their hair? NOTHING is working for me anymore and I wonder if I should just resort to the old standby of grease and water.

pink_flower

I have thought about this too. I think the main concern is those products clog hair pores which might prevent hair growth. But sometimes its seems like the people with the longest and healthiest hair just use grease. Its weird. I just say go for it. If you hair doesnt like then just move on. I dont think it can hurt to try..

ricochet

I don't thing grease and water is bad...Shoot, that was me and Mom's staple back in the day and my hair grew just fine. Now, don't get me wrong, grease is not the BEST thing for the hair because as we all now, grease and water don't mix...BUT, it provides excellent protection. If you wash, condition, or spray your hair with a moisturizer/mostly water mixture, it WILL hold that moisture in, no doubt. I don't grease my scalp, haven't done that in ages, but I do use grease on my HAIR from time to time just to add a little "extra" protection to my hair and ends and mainly when I am using a blow dryer...also to get rid of the jar of grease that I have had since pre relaxed days.
Yep, it has been 2 years since my last relaxer and I STILL have a jar of grease left, threw all the others out.

Hairlove, you still mainly wear protective styles right? I say go for it! Your hair is up most of the time anyway, grease and water just might be the thing for you.

blue_flower

I used to think that grease was really bad, but not anymore. After trying everything else (oils, cream, activators, etc.), I find that hair grease is the best and that's what I currently use. I put it only on my hair, not my scalp. Grease works better and is less sticky if I apply to my hair when it's wet.

TinyT

I use grease on my wet hair sometimes too, and it serves a very good purpose. It protects my hair from being windblown. I also love the ORS olive oil cream which has mineral oil in it. It does an awesome job on my wet hair. The only thing is the price, but I may just have to buckle down and spend it, b/c everything else I have tried dissapoints. Anyway mineral doesn't have to be bad if you use it on the hair and not the scalp.

miss_brown

Hairlove, I say go for it too. Just try to keep it off the scalp and make sure you clarify. I'm natural, and grease + water is one of the only combos that can keep my hair smoothed back and retain moisture

H

honey_jammz82

I noticed that my beloved oil sheen spray has mineral oil in it as the first ingredient! My hair loves oil sheen, I spray it at night before I wrap my hair, and I was just thinking this morning, if it is really bad for my hair.

kitcat

2. MINERAL OIL & PETROLATUM: The best baby oil is made from almonds. But the oil which being sold as baby oil is 100% mineral oil. Mineral oil is a derivative of crude oil (petroleum) that is used industrially as a cutting fluid and lubricating oil. This commonly used petroleum ingredient coats the skin and hair just like plastic wrap. The skin's natural barrier is disrupted as this plastic coating inhibits its ability to breathe and absorb the Natural Moisture Factor (moisture and nutrition). The skin's ability to release toxins and wastes is impossible through this "plastic wrap," which can promote acne and other disorders. It further hinders normal skin respiration/transpiration by keeping oxygen out. This process slows down skin function and normal cell development causing the skin to prematurely age. Holding in large a mounts of moisture in the skin can "flood" the biology and may result in immature, unhealthy, sensitive skin that dries out easily. Petrolatum - A petroleum-based grease that is used industrially as a grease component. Petrolatum exhibits many of the same potentially harmful properties as mineral oil.

Honestly, this stuff belongs in your engine, not on your hair. Regardless of "Well, my Grandma used vaseline on her hair and it grew ", the bottom line is this stuff is bad. It was bad for Grandma and it is bad for you. Period.-I got this info off of a list of 10 of the worst things you can use on your hair- KITCAT
<font color="red"> </font>

PrettyBrownEyes

[ QUOTE ]
pink_flower said:
I have thought about this too. I think the main concern is those products clog hair pores which might prevent hair growth. But sometimes its seems like the people with the longest and healthiest hair just use grease. Its weird. I just say go for it. If you hair doesnt like then just move on. I dont think it can hurt to try..

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree.

moneychaser

Well, I have been using grease off and on for the past 15 years, and it never inhibited my growth. I think it is okay if used in moderation, and if you wash your hair frequently.

Nay

Hey, Hairlove:

No matter what other products I try -- mango butter, shea butter -- I always go back to my tried and true Liv creme hair dress. This stuff has mineral oil, petrolatum (all the no-no's), but my hair seems to do best with it.

I've recently been using it for my braidouts, and I've discovered that my braidouts come out better and look shinier longer than the other stuff I tried.

I wash/condition my hair. Then while my hair is still wet, I apply the Liv and then braid. The next day, my hair has a nice shine to it, is soft, and I'm good for at least four days as long as I wear my scarf to bed at night.

If I use my Liv on my pressed hair, my hair looks shiny throughout the day, but then the next day it looks kinda dry and I have to apply some more. I think it works better when used on my wet hair because it "seals" in the moisture.

Anyway, our hair types are different, so I'm not sure if the grease/water trick will work for you. But it definitely seems to work on this head of mine!!

Brooke007

Member, Dumbledore's Army
[ QUOTE ]
This commonly used petroleum ingredient coats the ...hair just like plastic wrap.

[/ QUOTE ] And this is a bad thing? I can understand the skin needing to "breathe" and all but hair doesn't breathe.

moneychaser

[ QUOTE ]
Brooke007 said:
[ QUOTE ]
This commonly used petroleum ingredient coats the ...hair just like plastic wrap.

[/ QUOTE ] And this is a bad thing? I can understand the skin needing to "breathe" and all but hair doesn't breathe.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think she was refering to the scalp

DragonPearl

Kitcat, I understand mineral oil and petroleum being bad for the skin which is a living and breathing organism. I can't use them on my skin because they cause me to breakout. But I don't quite understand why they're is so bad for the hair, especially when used on the ends.

My problem is that since I don't sleep with scarves, whatever I put on my hair will usually find its way to my face via rubbing on my satin/silk pillowcase; so when I use vaseline on the ends of my hair, it does a great job, but a few days later, my face breaks out. That's why I am not a faithful vaseline user and I use mostly shea butter and vegetable oil on my hair.

Karonica

I must use grease. If I don't, my hair becomes extra brittle. It strengthens my hair, and I love to use it on my scalp as well.

G

Grease and water was what kept my hair straight in my ponytails as a child...it gave me the "slick" look without my having to use a "gel" which my hair hates. I don't use the grease and water mix anymore but my hair didn't break off when I was using it [it broke off for other reasons back then].

~~HoneyComb~~

[ QUOTE ]
blue_flower said:
I used to think that grease was really bad, but not anymore. After trying everything else (oils, cream, activators, etc.), I find that hair grease is the best and that's what I currently use. I put it only on my hair, not my scalp. Grease works better and is less sticky if I apply to my hair when it's wet.

[/ QUOTE ]

ITA. I've tried all the gels and after drying my hair felt hard. I've been using grease and recently vaseline while my hair is damp and it's much more moisturized.

Erica78

Coils coils & more coils!
Anyone here remember Blue Magic?!
My entire family used it back in the day. My hair very was healthy back then too. Man was that stuff THICK.

G

I'm going to be trying the Blue Magic pressing oil for my next press. But, I do remember the regular kind though from back in the day...I think I used it for a couple of years.

Angelicus

um... i use blue magic... the green kind. I love it. having a greasy bun prevents me from playing in my hair *see plueeeze stop me thread* in fact, tomorrow im washing this pretty style out and get back on my greasy bun...

Join the darkside Hairlove

G

What kind of pretty style you got, Anky? After I come out of braids I always find that I have no way to style my hair except press it...and wear it back in a "fake" bun...

B

Bublnbrnsuga

My mom used Bergamont Posner grease on my hair as a child (the blue stuff). To make a long story short,I stopped using it after I got my perm,but man-when I was pressing my hair,the right amount of that stuff would straighten my hair with one wisk of the pressing comb. My hair would not revert at all when this grease (or any of those thick greases) were used. Since I am natural again,I will surely invest in some more of this grease when I get my hair pressed.

itismehmmkay

I wash my hair and use grease and mousse in my hair everyday.....no problem.

Now, here are some catches:

Grease does cause build-up. It's this build-up that can clog your pores if you don't wash your hair frequently. However, since I'm clarifying the grease off of my hair and scalp daily, I have no problems.

Now, I am natural, so I don't have to worry about grease weighing my hair down. I say go for it!

Another weird thing is that I'm picky about my greases. The only grease that seems to work for me is the $1.60 SoftTouch grease by Ultrasheen from Walmart. Nothing else has worked so far and I'm tired of experimenting.

Good luck!

Ayeshia

I love the Isoplus Cucumber grease. Although i dont apply it directly to my scalp, it makes it tingle and my head feels cool.