GREAT Old Hair Site with Conditioner Definitions!!

JustKiya

I found a link to this site on another board, and it has possibly the BEST listings of the differences between different TYPES of conditioners I've ever seen.... I haven't even looked through the rest of it.....

What is a "Conditioner"?
The term "conditioner" is vague. Conditioners fall into different groups according to what you want to accomplish with your hair. People with thin hair need a specific kind of "conditioner", people with thick, dry hair need another...
Conditioners fall into six major catagories:
Moisturizers
Reconstructors
Acidifiers
Detanglers
Thermal Protectors
Glossers
Oils (E.F.A.'s- essential fatty acids)

-------------------------------------------------------------

Moisturizers
Are concentrated with humectants. Humectants are compounds that attract and hold moisture into the hair. They may not necessarily contain botanicals or protein (they often do).

Recommendations:
Janol® VitaMoist Conditioner
Paul Mitchell® Super Charged Moisturizer (The Best)
Pativa® Moisture Rinse
L'anza® Moisture Treatment

Reconstructors
Normally contain protein. Hydrolized human hair keratin protein is the best source, because it contains all 19 amino acids found in the hair. Human hair keratin protein has a low molecular weight. This enables the it to penetrate the hairshaft (the cortex). The main purpose of a reconstructor is to strenghten the hair.

Recommendations:
Paul Mitchell® Hair Repair
Paul Mitchell® Hair Masque (esp. for color treated hair)
L'anza® Power Treatment
L'anza® Keratin Booster (salon only product)
L'anza® Reconstructor
Pativa® Hair Masque

Acidifiers
The key word here is "acid". Yes, is is good to put acid on your hair. When a product carries a pH of 2.5 to 3.5 it is normlly termed an acidifier. This pH will close (compact) the cuticle layer of the hair. The result is shiney, bouncey hair. This pH range will adjust the beta bonds to alpha bonds (hydrogen bonds). Acidifiers do not weigh the hair. They do create shine, and add elasticity.

Recommendations:
Paul Mitchell® Finishing Rinse (Great for fine hair)
Paul Mitchell® The Detangler
Paul Mitchell® Seal and Shine ( a thermal protector too)
L'anza® Chemical Balancer (professional product)(Great)
L'anza® Detangler

Detanglers
Most detanglers are acidifiers (see above). Most have low pH's 2.5 to 3.5. They close the cuticle of the hair which cause tangles. Some "shield" the hairshaft with polymers (polymers are strings of "like" molecules- a chain). Some detanglers are instant, some take 1-5 minutes to work.

Recommendations:
Janol® No rinse Leave-in Conditioner
Paul Mitchell® The Detangler (instant detangler)
Paul Mitchell® Lite Detangler (great for fine hair)
Paul Mitchell® Creatives Finishing Rinse
L'anza® Detangler

Thermal Protectors
Thermal protectors safeguard the hair against heat. Using thermal protectors are one of the best things you can do to your hair if you blow dry, use curling irons, or hot rollers. They normally use heat absorbing polymers that distribute the heat, so your hair does not get heat damage (a major cause of hair damage)

Recommendations:
Paul Mitchell® Seal and Shine (the best sold anywhere)

Glossers
For the most part glossers are cosmetic. Most Glossers contain dimethicone or cyclomethicone ( very light oils derved from silicone). Used in small amounts they reflect light. Also, they are one of the bestproducts to control the "frizzies."

Recommendations:
Janol® Super Radiance
Paul Mitchell® Gloss
L'anza® Design Shine
Pativa® Shiner

Oils (E.F.A.'s)
If you have dry hair (esp. if you have chemicals on your hair{color-perm-relaxer}you need to add oil to your hair. The scalp produces a natural oil called sebum. EFA's are the closest thing to natural sebum (sebum contain EFA'S). EFA's can take very dry and porus hair and transform it into soft pliable hair.

Recommendations:
L'anza® Hair Polish
Paul Mitchell® Foaming Pommade

I don't know how good the recommedations are - they seemed to have a serious LOVE for Paul Mitchell....

But anyhow, here's the link: All About Hair - the site is going up and down because so many people are looking at it - but it's worth bookmarking!!

navsegda

nappywomyn said:
Reconstructors
Normally contain protein. Hydrolized human hair keratin protein is the best source, because it contains all 19 amino acids found in the hair. Human hair keratin protein has a low molecular weight. This enables the it to penetrate the hairshaft (the cortex). The main purpose of a reconstructor is to strenghten the hair.

Cool site! Yup, I love JOICO K-Pak reconstructors because they contain actual human hair keratin. Other reconstructors will of course do the job, too, but this site is right: they do not contain all the amino acids found in hair.

bajanplums1

Thanks, I love reading this stuff. I started mixing an Essential Fatty Acids Oil Concentrate with Keraphix and had great results. Further, I do love the Paul Mitchell Super Charged Moisturizer. It was my staple for 6 months. It allowed me to airdry my hair for the first time in my life because it softened my hair so much.

JustKiya

bajanplums1 said:
Thanks, I love reading this stuff. I started mixing an Essential Fatty Acids Oil Concentrate with Keraphix and had great results. Further, I do love the Paul Mitchell Super Charged Moisturizer. It was my staple for 6 months. It allowed me to airdry my hair for the first time in my life because it softened my hair so much.

Where do you get your EFAO Concentrate from?? And I wonder if jojoba oil would do the same thing........