Best Conditioners

karly

Since there has been alot of discussion about proteins and conditioners I though I would post this info I found.

Conditioners fall into six major categories:
Moisturizers
Reconstructors
Acidifiers
Detanglers
Thermal Protectors
Glossers
Oils (E.F.A.'s- essential fatty acids)

Moisturizers
Are concentrated with humectants. Humectants are compounds that attract and hold moisture into the hair. They may not necessarily contain botanicals or protein (they often do).
Recommendations:

Reconstructors
Normally contain protein. Hydrolyzed human hair keratin protein is the best source, because it contains all 19 amino acids found in the hair. Human hair keratin protein has a low molecular weight. This enables the it to penetrate the hair shaft (the cortex). The main purpose of a reconstructor is to strengthen the hair.

Acidifiers
The key word here is "acid". Yes, is is good to put acid on your hair. When a product carries a pH of 2.5 to 3.5 it is normally termed an acidifier. This pH will close (compact) the cuticle layer of the hair. The result is shiny, bouncy hair. This pH range will adjust the beta bonds to alpha bonds (hydrogen bonds). Acidifiers do not weigh the hair. They do create shine, and add elasticity. This category is great for people with fine textured hair.

Detanglers
Most detanglers are acidifiers (see above). Most have low pH's 2.5 to 3.5. They close the cuticle of the hair which cause tangles. Some "shield" the hair shaft with polymers (polymers are strings of "like" molecules- a chain). Some detanglers are instant, some take 1-5 minutes to work.

Thermal Protectors
Thermal protectors safeguard the hair against heat. Using thermal protectors are one of the best things you can do to your hair if you blow dry, use curling irons, or hot rollers. They normally use heat absorbing polymers that distribute the heat, so your hair does not get heat damage (a major cause of hair damage)

Glossers
For the most part glossers are cosmetic. Most Glossers contain dimethicone or cyclomethicone ( very light oils derived from silicone). Used in small amounts they reflect light. Also, they are one of the best products to control the "frizzies."

Oils (E.F.A.'s)
If you have dry hair (esp. if you have chemicals on your hair color-perm-relaxer} you need to add oil to your hair. The scalp produces a natural oil called sebum. EFA's are the closest thing to natural sebum (sebum contain EFA'S). EFA's can take very dry and porous hair and transform it into soft pliable hair.

Tammy

Thank you for the information.

I've found a pretty good combination with the Aubrey's GBP which gives me the protein and Mizani Moisturefuse which of course, gives me the moisturizing benefits. These are going to be my staples for a while.

Tammy

Oh, and I just bought myself a bottle of Kemi Oyl which I am loving.

I'm so surprised that I don't have the need to buy any products at the moment. I'm so happy that I've found products that are working great for me. Now it's just a matter of finding different ways to style my hair.

Sherynella

Thanks Carly, I now understand why a hairdresser (10 years ago) instructed me to use a mixture of vinegar and oil as a last rinse...

A

AmilLion

Andre, Oprah's stylist actually said that Thermal Protectors are actually like cooking grease for the hair. He said, No go.

karly

Andre is the only person I've heard of that's against heat protectants. It also seems like he's kinda against oils for the hair too (from what I've heard).

Victorian

old head
Thanks for the concise breakdown, karly!