GROWING HANDS

Ineedhair said:
I had a similar experience with this. I went to an older black stylist (Her clientele ranged in age from 75-100 years old) few years ago and my hair was bouncy, shiny and I had significant growth.

At the time, I felt older stylists had growing hands but I realize now she knew what she was doing.

I went to a young woman a couple times (she stopped doing hair to finish up graduate school. :( ) who did a lot of older women's hair. I think her clientele was like that because she didn't do fancy styles. Anyways she was very gentle and my hair came out fabulous(!!) both times.

I don't believe in growing hands, but I do feel a stylist who is gentle (and not scissor happy) makes a big difference.

Last edited:
I hadn't heard that until I moved north.

I think that anyone who understands how to take care of hair can have "growing hands."

delta_gyrl said:
I hadn't heard that until I moved north.

I think that anyone who understands how to take care of hair can have "growing hands."
Exactly. Most people are basing this "growing hands" on people with horrible hair care habits. Of course it looks like magic when there are few stand out heads among a mess of HAMS. Their sample population is horrible. :lol:

I think my signature quote applies to this phenom

Last edited:
mahogany66 said:
Has anyone heard of the saying "growing hands". My friend was complaining about her stylist's prices so I told her that she should start learning how to do her OWN her, she told me that he has GROWING hands and that her hair doesn't grow when she touches it:confused: . I tried to explain to her that anyone can make their hair grow with proper care, but she totally does not agree.

I was wondering if anyone else has or know of someone who has this belief.. It is really crazy to me:lol:

This is an old southern myth but some stylist use is today to bait people in when they don't know about hair care and they are desperate for some hair. You know we try anything, all the magic potions , pills, and yes believe the myths. As a little girl I use to hear this person has "growing hands" and this one doesn't. I came from a small town, divided by two "hair dressers" as they were called. Some people would drive 20 - 35 - 60 miles to get their hair done by someone with "growing hands". I don't need to tell you that their hair didn't grow.

I believe in growing hands. Let me explain it this way, some people are more careful andnuturing with your hair than others an as a result your hair is healthier and grows longer. I also judge stylist by how well they grow plants.

I too have heard of growing hands. I am with the other ladies that said that anyone that "knows" what they are doing could be considered as having growing hands.

With all the info on LHCF that we have all learned, we can all say that we have "growing hands"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Last edited:
mahogany66 said:
Has anyone heard of the saying "growing hands". My friend was complaining about her stylist's prices so I told her that she should start learning how to do her OWN her, she told me that he has GROWING hands and that her hair doesn't grow when she touches it:confused: . I tried to explain to her that anyone can make their hair grow with proper care, but she totally does not agree.

I was wondering if anyone else has or know of someone who has this belief.. It is really crazy to me:lol:

I've heard of this also. But I don't believe in it. I believe in "caring hands" the more TLC you put to that head the healthier it will be and the longer it will grow no matter who it is.

Back