Growing in Faith

Farida

Ladies,

I have a family member who is trying to grow in faith. He has studied a lot of the faith and says it makes sense to him and in his mind he sees is it as the right choice for him. He has been attending church but he says he doesn't feel a connection with God. He believes but he doesn't feel the connection and the spiritual aspects of it.

How can I help him grow in the faith? Suggestions? Resources?

janiebaby

I think that if he is waiting for something magical to happen then it won't happen. I saw that you said that he studied alot about faith but is he studying God's word daily? I think that is essential to establishing a relationship with God.

Also, does he fellowship with other believers there's a difference between sitting in church and being involved in a ministry.

Is he waiting on God to do something for him? Has he been disappointed in the past? I guess what I'm asking is, is he putting his faith in God because he has nothing else to put his faith in?

Nice & Wavy

Ladies,

I have a family member who is trying to grow in faith. He has studied a lot of the faith and says it makes sense to him and in his mind he sees is it as the right choice for him. He has been attending church but he says he doesn't feel a connection with God. He believes but he doesn't feel the connection and the spiritual aspects of it.

How can I help him grow in the faith? Suggestions? Resources?

Has he been "born again?" The reason I ask is because no one will truly understand the scriptures or have that "connection" to God unless one is born again.

Romans 10: 9-10 says this:
"that if you confess with your mouth Jesus as Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved;
for with the heart a person believes, resulting in righteousness, and with the mouth he confesses, resulting in salvation. "

HTH

Farida

I think that if he is waiting for something magical to happen then it won't happen. I saw that you said that he studied alot about faith but is he studying God's word daily? I think that is essential to establishing a relationship with God.

Also, does he fellowship with other believers there's a difference between sitting in church and being involved in a ministry.

Is he waiting on God to do something for him? Has he been disappointed in the past? I guess what I'm asking is, is he putting his faith in God because he has nothing else to put his faith in?

He attends church regularly but he is trying to find a new one because his current one is too large for a real connection with other worshipers.

He says he feels that God has done things in his life and put people in his life who he feels aren't there accidentally, but he can't seem to forge what he feels is an intimate relationship with God.

He has had several disappointments in life beginning with his parents and spanning several people. He feels that God is really the only sure thing in this life.

I will encourage him to do some bible study alone (not just academic) and perhaps to join a small group.

Farida

Has he been "born again?" The reason I ask is because no one will truly understand the scriptures or have that "connection" to God unless one is born again.

Romans 10: 9-10 says this:
"that if you confess with your mouth Jesus as Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved;
for with the heart a person believes, resulting in righteousness, and with the mouth he confesses, resulting in salvation. "

HTH

I get the sense that he truly believes, but something is holding him back...I just don't know what.