Growing Out A Short Relaxed Cut Support Thread

back2relaxed

I thought it would be great to start a thread of members who are growing out short hair cuts, pixies, bobs, mohawks, whatever. If its above shoulder length, and you want it longer, this is the spot.

Share your techniques for growing out your hair, struggles, protective style options, and stay along for the ride while we grow it out together. Please tell us your goals, any products you use, and if you have pics, please post them.

My hair was a short, pixie cut(the siggy), and I decided after having a weave for 8 weeks, and experiencing major growth, that I was ready grow it out a bit. My goal is to have healthy no longer than shoulder length hair. The longer the hair for me, the more work it requires. I would love a neck length inverted bob, that would be sooo chic!

alive

Bumping...no one else is going thru this???

i'm natural so unfortunately, i don't have much to add but i did check out your blog (very nice!) are you keeping your hair short just out of personal preference or for ease of maintenance? just curious :yep:

Evolving78

i started wearing spiked, flipped out styles when it started to grow out. then when it got a little long i started getting straw and flexi rod sets. i would use heat once a week with my spiked, flipped styles.

back2relaxed

Thanks Ladies for the replies.

Shasha, I'm going to check out your blog now.

alive, a bit of both. I prefer the style options of shorter hair for me. It just allows more versatility, and ease is another, to me it takes less time to care for the medium length hair.

Please keep the updates coming.

bklynbornNbred

Just wanted to show you some support.

I've grown out short relaxed styles three times long before LHCF so I don't have pictures of just my hair to show. I went from the shorter Halle Berry (Nia Long) cut twice and the original Halle (Boomerang) cut with my stylists help back to APL. Basically she just let the top layers grow out and would only cut the nape so it retained a bob style (that could be wrapped and flat ironed as it got longer vs. wrap then curling with iron). She would keep cutting the back until the top was around ear length.

At that point I'd do straw sets to let the nape grow out a lil but until it was enough to get grasped by braids. Then braids until it grew out. Hit what I now know is APL, get bored throw color (for it to shed and break off) or cut again. Rinse and repeat for a few years. I would get annoyed because I work out a lot so it was easier to just do the braids. Crazy thing is I don't even like short hair on myself so she learned not to listen if I request it. If I had known about wigs back then my real hair could have been natural and grazing the floor by now.

You can do this it will just take patience. Whatever products you are using continue to use. There is no magic formula just time & if you are lucky to have a trusted stylist you won't look crazy as you are doing it. The hardest thing for me once I decided to grow it out was accepting that she still had to cut some in the process in order to preserve a style. Its only now that I realize that one side of my hair grows faster than the other.

Right now I'm just shy of being comfortable claiming BSL. My goal is to just let it grow out until I have a Sade type braid - the ultimate low maintenance routine works for me.

Good Luck!

ProfectivGirl

Yay!!! I've been looking for something like this! I am growing out my Halle Berry cut, it is a longer halle cut now but still short. Right now I am a major fan of quickweaves. I mold my hair down, apply the Gro Protection stuff so the bonding glue doesn't damage my hair, then I do my quickweave with my invisible part. I've been doing this since about August and my hair has been doing great. I know most people look down upon glue but I have not had any problems with it so I will probably keep doing it as a protective style. I also shampoo and deep condition weekly and I relax every 3-4 months so far so good! One goal of mine is to find a product line that I can use and stick with. I was a major fan of Profectiv for years but for some reason I feel like there may be something better that will help me reach my goals. I'll also be taking 5000mcg of Biotin everyday. I hope to have a full healthy head of shoulder length hair by end of next year....I think that's a realistic goal

No Matter Of You're Relaxed, Natural, or Texturized We Are All Beautiful Black Women...And It Doesn't Get Any Better Than That!

back2relaxed

ProfectivGirl, I'm also hoping for SL by end of July 2012. My hair has grown out some already. @bklynbrnNbred, I'm afraid of braids, my edges have been a weak point for me for some years, so I can't do them! I'm hoping to grow it out w/o braids, or wigs, maybe the occasional sew in. But I can definitely see how covering up the hair would help you grow it out w/o the ugly phase. I let her taper it on my last relaxer, and I may need it again on my next one in a couple of weeks. I'm not opposed to cutting the back b/c it grows super fast...its the front that she cannot touch!! LOL.

ProfectivGirl

...its the front that she cannot touch!! LOL.[/QUOTE]

Yep yep yep....scissors and the front of my head is a no-no!

No Matter Of You're Relaxed, Natural, or Texturized We Are All Beautiful Black Women...And It Doesn't Get Any Better Than That!

Evolving78

back2relaxed
your hair looks long enough to get a straw set or a flex rod set. that way depending on how you sleep, it could last a week or two. all you would need to do it lightly spray a leave-in, oil sheen, and keep it moving!

Seriously...its too difficult for me to grow it out! This time around I'll have an inverted hairstyle forever!

itismehmmkay

HELLYEAH! This is what I've been looking for!

Current Status
I just cut my hair like last week. I had gotten a hair cut that previous week and didn't like what all the layers were doing for me. Eh. So I got the layers cut out and my hair is prepped to grow out a blunt cut bob.

Goals
My goal is to grown my crown and bangs out as long as possible. My back grows fast, but I plan to keep cutting and keep the blunt bob effect. My first short-term goal is for my crown to grow to the end of my ear...then to my chin...then to my shoulder.

What I'm doing now
I've been wearing it pulled back, but with a slight puff/hump in the front. It's not exaggerated, just a little height like my bangs are pulled back. And I have the sides pulled back w/ some 'Jam' on them. And my hair is still rollerset...So it's a soft molded look. Real chic; I love it. It's perfect b/c I was actually itching to do some type of big chop and almost go natural again. I guess this is my rendition of it lol.

Also, I plan to keep up w/ retouches. No more stretching. I touchup w/ one of those color bottle applicators, so I've been pretty good w/ the no overlapping. I don't want anymore demarcation line breakage. And I plan to pay attention to my edges as well and make sure they fill out pretty good.

RoundEyedGirl504

I've been looking for something like this. I had the Meaghan Goode cut done in May and I've been growing it out since then. I'm currently EL in the front and NL in the back. I just bought a few wigs and will be wearing those all week to work for the next couple months at minimum. I'm washing and DCing weekly moisturizing and sealing 3x/week.

this is my starting length and I have this tail in the back that I need to cut but I'm waiting until the front catches up some more.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

back2relaxed

RoundEyedGirl504, it looks healthy and cute. I like...And we are about the same length, my back is just tapered up, and I'm keeping it that way until my sides grow longer. You should join the SL Challenge.

@itismemmkay, sounds like you have a definite plan.

Hopefully we can all help each other.

Holly007

I thought it would be great to start a thread of members who are growing out short hair cuts, pixies, bobs, mohawks, whatever. If its above shoulder length, and you want it longer, this is the spot.

Share your techniques for growing out your hair, struggles, protective style options, and stay along for the ride while we grow it out together. Please tell us your goals, any products you use, and if you have pics, please post them.

My hair was a short, pixie cut(the siggy), and I decided after having a weave for 8 weeks, and experiencing major growth, that I was ready grow it out a bit. My goal is to have healthy no longer than shoulder length hair. The longer the hair for me, the more work it requires. I would love a neck length inverted bob, that would be sooo chic!

I just started growing out my hair from my 1st haircut this year. I started co washing as well. My goal is to grow my hair out to the center of my back like it was before the cut. I want it to be healthier than before. My hair was in ok condition before but the texture is nothing like it is now. I workout daily. I am set to practice wet set and/or twist outs this weekend. Fingers crossed on that LOL

Holly007

I miss being able to throw my hair in a quick loose ponytail and moving on. It was my go to without causing any damage to my hair. My hair requires it to be styled because it was cut into layers in the back.

Holly007

ProfectivGirl, I'm also hoping for SL by end of July 2012. My hair has grown out some already. @bklynbrnNbred, I'm afraid of braids, my edges have been a weak point for me for some years, so I can't do them! I'm hoping to grow it out w/o braids, or wigs, maybe the occasional sew in. But I can definitely see how covering up the hair would help you grow it out w/o the ugly phase. I let her taper it on my last relaxer, and I may need it again on my next one in a couple of weeks. I'm not opposed to cutting the back b/c it grows super fast...its the front that she cannot touch!! LOL.

That is why I have to learn how to roller set at least. Right now I have to style my hair every morning. I do not want to wear braids, wigs, or a sew in. My hair is a sweaty mess after every workout and needs to be cleaned often. Roller sets would be perfect once I learn how.

Holly007

How often should you get your ends cut? Is it even necessary? I went for years not doing it and my hair was in the middle of my back. I just recently this year starting trimming my ends after my haircut. Advised every 4 months along with my touch up, I should get my ends trimmed.