Growing out relaxed hair...

nita4

Ladies please forgive me, I caught the end of the post regarding "Going natural after having relaxed means a haircut". I have been considering this for months. I tried once before and gave up after seven months because I didn't know what I was doing. I am really considering trying again. Could you please tell me the pros and cons that you went through in transitioning? Now that you are "there" what could you tell me to make my journey easier?

Crysdon

I don't know if this is any help Nita, but here goes:

When I was natural, it was easy to maintain in the beginning. The longer my hair got, the more time consuming and difficult it was to style my hair. I couldn't wear braids and bantu knots at work, so I blow dried and hot curled once a week and my hair didn't get damaged from it.

I now have a texturizer and I love it. I can wear my regular curly hair or switch up and wear it in a doobie wrap.

Good luck whatever you choose. /images/graemlins/angel.gif

BrightEyes

I read your other post about steps you are taking. You seem to be on the right track. /images/graemlins/smile.gif I'm still a fan of the press and curl method because that's the way I grew out my perm. Taking vitamins for your hair growth is a good idea because you can transition faster than normal.

I would really recommend nappturality.com or nappyhair.com and running a search on transitioning. There is so much information on those two sites, it's crazy.

nita4

Thanks ladies, I know those sites. I'm always over there reading and looking at pictures. I was thinking of going with the press and curl too. If not that then I will blow dry. My sister transitioned that way, but she made it look so effortless. Last time I had such a hard time, but I didn't know what I know now either. Wish me luck!!

ChocolateCutee

Hey nita, I have just finished transitioning and now have 3-4 inches of natural hair. At the moment I have it in twists. The week after I will wear a twist out. Natural hair is so versatile, as you have seen on Nappturality.com. I transitioned for 8 months and cut the relaxed ends of myself. I don't really reccomend pressing your hair while transitioning. For one, it could damage your hair even more. It will also change the texture of your hair and you could also make pressing your hair a habit. Heat is not good for our hair. Why don't you try matching the relaxed ends to the new growth by doing roller sets, strawsets, bantu knots of braid in stead of straightening the newgrowth. that way you will then be able to see yourself with natural hair much earlier and no what styles suit you. another advantage is hair care while doing this.

Hope that helped alittle. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

hairfanatic

Hi Nita,

The best thing I did was cut my hair because the two textures work aweful to work with. I didn't realize how pretty and curly my hair was until I was able to see all of it. You don't have to cut your hair though there are many options...braids, twists, using perm rods for a curly look, cornrows and buns. What would help you during your transiting stage is a good detangling shampoo like Cream of Nature of Beverly Johnson's Moisture Emphasis Shampoo, a good detangling conditioner like Dark and Lovely Ultra Cholesterol and a good leave in conditioning spray, like Infusium 23.