Hair and Your Climate

naturalgurl

I've noticed that different care is needed in different climates. Like glycerin. Lots of people don't like it or use it and then lots love it. I've noticed that those who live in humid areas love the glycerin. That makes sense because glycerin is a humectant and pulls all of that luscious moisture to the strand. In colder climates people don't tend to like it and I"m wondering what works in a colder climate. Sooooo, post what type of climate you live in and what works on your hair. This might help some of us that are doing the trial and error and location might be part of the solution...(or am I just crazy an bored???)

I live in the Caribbean and everything except heat styling with the hopes of no reversion works for my hair:grin:.

I live in the Caribbean and everything except heat styling with the hopes of no reversion works for my hair:grin:.
That twist out is beautiful and I love henna too!!! I think the islands are a good place for hair. Not lots and lots of humidity and no bitter winters. Plus you have all of those fruit and coconuts for the hair. My hair would be in heaven there. The fruit there are unbelieveable compared to here in the states. You gotta' love where you live girl!

Yea I know but I always felt that the grass is greener on the other side.......up until I went to Orlando for Easter. Give me warm weather anyday.

Glycerin does tend to be less effective in colder climates, because there is less moisture available to be pulled from the air. It still pulls moisture though, but it pulls it from the hair since there's nowhere else to get it.

I have considered this myself and, since I live in California and there is rarely a "harsh" winter, I have not yet had the opportunity to test my alternatives. I would like to try avocado butter to help combat dryness during the cold. Maybe after a quick water mist, it would be good.

I work in an air-conditioned office, and I keep my house hot, so I'll let you know when I get there. :drunk:

Thank you for creating this thread. I've been in Arizona for the past few days. I put a homemade glycerine mix on my hair yesterday and now I have a dry, bushy bootleg afro. I am a HAM right now. So, now I guess I'll have to figure out what I need to use on my hair the next time I come back to this area.:ohwell: I travel all over the country so I encounter various climates. I love the humidy at home (Florida).

Back