Are humectants bad in humid climates?

Leslie_C

please say no because I love my nexxus humectress. But anyway, I was wondering since it is said that humectants draw moisture from the air and there is extra extra moisture in humid climates like FL, is it bad to use a lot of products with humectants?

For example, the activator thing is a disaster for me and I think its because of the climate.

Tracy

If you like frizz, it's fine.

If not, anti-humectants are a better idea.

inthepink

I hear that humectants are good for dry areas. But I still just don't get it...b/c I've read here that if the air is too dry, the humectants will cause moisture to be drawn from the hair making it drier. So what do you do? I just don't get it so I'm sticking with humectants in my dry climate.

Leslie_C

lol Tracy, I KNEW u would answer...hahaha

so what about the humectress since its a conditioner? this is the best moisturizing conditioner I know, and I have the liter of it!! and what are the humectants besides glycerin? dont most hair products nowdays have them? The only anti-humectant Ive ever heard of is aveda pomade.

come on miss hair expert, I want answers!!!!!

Tracy

The conditioner should be fine, it's the product you use post wash and condition that you should be concerned about. Get a leave in and a mositurizer or pomade (like the aveda) to put on as you style to combat humidity if you're concerned about that. Otherwise, your beloved Humectress may stay.

Nonie

My understanding is that humectants are GOOD in humid climates if you're trying to retain as much moisture as possible in your hair. They will draw moisture into your hair from the air.

If on the other hand, you're trying to keep a style that doesn't like moisture eg if you've pressed your hair and want to keep moisture out, then humectants are BAD for you in humid conditions because their drawing in moisture will make your hair frizzy. In this latter case, a serum would work better to keep your style from being affected by the humidity.

HTH