Hair Braiding...Too Cheap...Too good to be true?

ThaJazziest

So... A few days back, I met this fellow natural in wal-mart-which is like my sanctuary :grin:-and I asked her if she knew someone who could braid my hair for me (Just a lil tired of doing it myself, and it's hindering my regimen), she said yea, gave me her number and said she would text me two numbers...I'm thinking it's all good. Then I contacted her and she said "I know two people that will do it for $15...should a red flag be waving, cuz that seems a lil too cheap to me...:giveup:Am I just freaking for no reason? Or does this sound too cheap to be good? Any thoughts, or ideas people?

If you're that uncertain, ask for pictures of their work first...

Last edited:
If it is for cornrows with no hair added then I have heard of some people who will do it for that much just trying to make some extra cash.
Usually it is not in a shop, and rest assured you'll end up sitting on someone's living-room floor and hearing them yell at their kids and smoke a cigarette or other smoke-able substance while braiding your hair and frying something in the kitchen.
:naughty:

If you do investigate this option, then make sure you see examples of their work first and don't be surprised if they change the cost when they see that you have thick hair.

My general suggestion is to keep doing your braids yourself because no one will treat your hair as well as you will and if you have the skill and ability then

DIY!!!!!:grin:

Last edited:
It's been a while since I got cornrows, but my niece and sister get them done all of the time for like $20 or $25 with hair added. (home stylist, no license, beautiful results)

Actually, I've had licensed stylists braid my hair that cheap, but the "African" braiding shops charge like $65 and up.

If it is for cornrows with no hair added then I have heard of some people who will do it for that much just trying to make some extra cash.
Usually it is not in a shop, and rest assured you'll end up sitting on someone's living-room floor and hearing them yell at their kids and smoke a cigarette or other smoke-able substance while braiding your hair and frying something in the kitchen.
:naughty:

If you do investigate this option, then make sure you see examples of their work first and don't be surprised if they change the cost when they see that you have thick hair.

My general suggestion is to keep doing your braids yourself because no one will treat your hair as well as you will and if you have the skill and ability then

DIY!!!!!:grin:

More like volunteer work imo.

DIY cornrows are problematic coz you can't see the back of your head.

More like volunteer work imo.

DIY cornrows are problematic coz you can't see the back of your head.

I'm trying to figure out how Mook's hair is soooooo good at it. Practice....a whole lot of practice.

Anyhow, OP. My answer is don't do it, and let me tell you why.

I met this lady in Walmart-my former sanctuary-and she told me that she could cornrow my hair for really cheap. I was stoked because I was right at the point that I didn't want to relax my hair anymore, and I was planning on growing it out by wearing braids.

So this lady braids my hair into really pretty cornrows. They looked really nice, but they were kind of tight. I didn't pay that any mind though. I paid her like $40 bucks maybe?

Four days later, I woke up and my edges were gone. I'm not even kidding. The roots on the hair were out. The bulbs were "floating" because the hair was still caught up in the braid. Anyhow, I cut those braids right out and bc'd a few days later.

Moral of the story: don't accept hair care from anyone you meet in Wallyworld.

Don't be so tired of doing your own hair that you are willing to risk someone else damaging it.

Like Mook's hair said: DIY!!!!!!!

Question: What do you mean by doing your own hair is hindering your regimen?

You need to see her work first. I get my hair braided all the time. A few times I have gone to a cheaper person who was waaaaayyy cheaper, and sometimes I won, sometimes I lost. The times that I lost it was because I hadn't seen their work. One time a lady braided me so bad the braids were falling out in the front after a week. I had to go to a professional shop to have the front rows fixed.

Back