Hair Budget...seriously!

Shay72

Natural, 4A
Have any of you set a hair budget for yourself? Weekly? Monthly? I have just spent a ton of money but I just started and I didn't have basic stuff. I still need to get some things but I just wanted to know how many of you manage. Do you buy a bunch of stuff up front or just replace as you need to? Do you shop weekly? Monthly? TIA.

I'm putting myself on one. Buy Nothing for September challenge came right on time. I'm not even going to order Hairveda products like I originally planned.

I was out of control this month.

I pretty much have my staples down, so I buy as needed, but I will buy, say, 10+ bottles of condish at a time during cowashing season, because I don't like running out, or buy a bunch of ORS Packs because I use them every week.

I pretty much have my staples down, so I buy as needed, but I will buy, say, 10+ bottles of condish at a time during cowashing season, because I don't like running out, or buy a bunch of ORS Packs because I use them every week.

Try finding the bottel of the ORS Replenishing instead of the packs at a BSS. It cheaper and will keep you out of the building where the crimes against our wallets are commited.:yep:

I'm officially putting myself on a hair budget!

In fact, I'm RETURNING some of the products I purchased this month. There's NO WAY that I'll be able to use some of this stuff in the next couple of months. Thus, I probably don't need it anyway. Unless someone can give me a REALLY GOOD reason why I shouldn't return my ABBA creme masques :look: the bottles are going back.

I have enough hair products to last me...I'm ashamed to say.

I'm falling all the way back with this stuff.

ETA: I'm going to try not to purchase anything hair related until November!

You know it's interesting. I've found myself buying ingredients lately more so than actual products. I love being a mixtress. But that, too, can be costly. I just bought a lot of EOs and that cost me almost $50. Granted, now I have enough to last me for years, lol.

I also recently bought butters, oil, clays, and herbs. But, the way I see it...
no, let me stop trying to justify. I am a PJ. :ohwell:

Yes im on a tight Budget!
When i By products i make Sure they will last for atleast 3-4 months!
Shampoo and All lol!
I save alot of money!
But when Christmas time is here it's on!LOL..i need to stop:look:

Yeah, I got one. I do spend a good amount on my products but I go for things that multi-task and I do my hair myself so I am not shelling out 30+ a week for someone else to do it.

I don't have a budget :perplexed. I figure I am saving mega mula by not going to a salon .... so I don't sweat it....I'm dropping some serious coin on JOICO right now...Well, that's my story and I'm sticking to it :giggle:

hairpics002C.jpg

Last edited:
I haven't really set a budget but I have put myself in check...I have narrowed my list of things down that work for me so...I'm only buying things once my staples run out...I've also stopped buying into growth aides as well...

I budget haircare in with groceries these days because I'm not as much of a PJ and because I usually pick up my products at WFM or VS. I don't budget for cheapie cons - they come out of "blow" money.

I will admit that I had a hair budget for the first year or so after I started doing my own hair. It helped me to make smarter decisions because I knew I could only spend $x. Thses days I'm less likely to experiment so I buy staples as needed.

Thanks for all of the responses :)! I really wanted to know how others do it just so I can keep myself in check. I'm getting everything I need up front. Once I decide what works for me then I will double up. I hate to run out of stuff. Where I run into trouble are sales....

Thanks for all of the responses :)! I really wanted to know how others do it just so I can keep myself in check. I'm getting everything I need up front. Once I decide what works for me then I will double up. I hate to run out of stuff. Where I run into trouble are sales....

One that helped me was when I would go to a sale, I would look up exactly what was on sale and the prices online first. If one of my staples like liters of Kenra and joico was on sale and I need some more then I would put aside the money to get it. Then I would only allow myself x__ amount of money to get anything else I was interested in trying. Then I would total it up and only bring that amount of money, cash, with in the store. No credit/debit cards. I would lock in the car so that it would be less tempting to add more stuff to the pile. You can also try putting a quota on the type of product like only 4 moisture conditioners allowed at a time or only 3 protein treatments allowed; that way you either have to use it up of give something away which will keep the overall amount of your stuff low and discourage you from spending excess money.

i did have a budget for my hair, it includes getting it done and everything.

plus products i want to splurge on.

it works... but i find that i really didnt need any products till recently when i ran out of alot of stuff i had bought at the same time a while back.

me-T--That's what I was thinking of too. $100/month. Whatever I don't use gets saved or even if I don't need it at all that month it can still be set aside. That way I can have a "hair stash". My hair is a HAM right now and I don't want an excuse to not take care of it. That will give me the ability to buy big ticket items if needed too. Cash/debit only. CCs have been put away for a minute anyway.

Thanks for all of the great ideas!

LOL tootrendy19! That's why I started this thread. I needed an intervention before it got really crazy.

I bought a lot of stuff this month because I'm not buying anything else until December and I had to restock. I don't have a hair budget. I stick to what I know, refill as needed. At the beginning I spent a bit on products to get my hair back together, now I just maintain and buy products I think I really need to help with a specific challenge.

I don't have a budget :perplexed. I figure I am saving mega mula by not going to a salon .... so I don't sweat it....I'm dropping some serious coin on JOICO right now...Well, that's my story and I'm sticking to it :giggle:

hairpics002C.jpg

Yeah, what she said. Since I joined this forum almost a year ago, I think my stylist may have seen me twice in that time span. I don't have a problem spending on my hair but if I can save a lot of the money I would spend with my stylist and use it on my hair products instead, I think I end up wayyyy ahead financially:yep:.

Right now I am moving toward using less and less commercial hair products but more and more organic and natural products. Giovanni, Jason Natural, Dr. Bronner Castile soap, and a few others are considerably cheaper than the commercial brands I currently have. I will also be adding some WEN, Abba and MOP hair products to my arsenal of hair products later, maybe by next year.

ETA: When I used to visit my stylist sometimes once a week and sometimes once every 2 weeks, I used to shell out $40-$50 a time, not counting my relaxers every 10 weeks which amounted to $105 - $130. So the way I see it, I am really on a budget of sort.

Last edited:
One that helped me was when I would go to a sale, I would look up exactly what was on sale and the prices online first. If one of my staples like liters of Kenra and joico was on sale and I need some more then I would put aside the money to get it. Then I would only allow myself x__ amount of money to get anything else I was interested in trying. Then I would total it up and only bring that amount of money, cash, with in the store. No credit/debit cards. I would lock in the car so that it would be less tempting to add more stuff to the pile. You can also try putting a quota on the type of product like only 4 moisture conditioners allowed at a time or only 3 protein treatments allowed; that way you either have to use it up of give something away which will keep the overall amount of your stuff low and discourage you from spending excess money.

I love this idea a lot Gym. I will try doing this for myself once my commercial products are used up. It's an awesome way to curb/slow down the PJ in me. Thanks hon.

Back