Hair Bun

I like to use pomade or gel; Aussie Instant Freeze is my staple since I'm protein sensitive and also flaxseed gel.

For pomade I like the ORS Edge Control and also the Curls Control Paste is really good, but be careful of with the Curls if your hair reacts to glycerin in certain weather (like mine does). I put that stuff in and watched my hair get 5x bigger lol, that's probably not a problem for buns though.

You can seal it with oil

Dove56 can I ask you, how is it bunning on wet hair everyday? I have tried it for a couple of days and it just seem like my ends may get mushy from being wet everyday and not drying. I mean I co washed everyday but I was wearing wng but with bunning your hair never dries. and I am excited that you grew your hair to tailbone with bunning.

I have a problem with keeping my hands out of my hair and wearing it out everyday.

Dove56 can I ask you, how is it bunning on wet hair everyday? I have tried it for a couple of days and it just seem like my ends may get mushy from being wet everyday and not drying. I mean I co washed everyday but I was wearing wng but with bunning your hair never dries. and I am excited that you grew your hair to tailbone with bunning.

I have a problem with keeping my hands out of my hair and wearing it out everyday.

Shadiyah

Well, I usually really towel dry my ponytail so it's not sopping wet. Recently, I 've been spraying my bun with It's a 10 + plus Keratin leave-in mist so it doesn't get too moisturized or mushy from being wet. I never experienced breakage, damage or anything with buns.

If you have a blow-dryer with a diffuser you can lightly diffuse it on a cool temperature to dry it a bit then coat it with conditioner. That's something I would do occasionally a few years ago. :yep:

Shadiyah

Well, I usually really towel dry my ponytail so it's not sopping wet. Recently, I 've been spraying my bun with It's a 10 + plus Keratin leave-in mist so it doesn't get too moisturized or mushy from being wet. I never experienced breakage, damage or anything with buns.

If you have a blow-dryer with a diffuser you can lightly diffuse it on a cool temperature to dry it a bit then coat it with conditioner. That's something I would do occasionally a few years ago. :yep:

Dove56 thanks I will try that.

Hi @Sunshinelove32,

I don't use gel I find just about all of them too drying for my hair. I usually make my buns "fresh" each day. I found the easiest way for me to create a smoother bun was to do a bun that didn't require me to pull all of my hair back at once like a "Degas Ballerina Bun", I included a link to a tutorial below. Finally, I had to accept that my hair was only going to be but so sleek, it's highly textured. I usually do looser buns to play up the textured nature of my hair rather than fighting to make it look sleek. Good luck, and happy growing. :yep:

http://youtu.be/nv3DH-0dMUM

There are a couple of pics of my take on the Degas Ballerina Bun in a post from last year. You'll see that I don't even try for sleek.

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=610761&page=3

Thanks so much for this information, I am going to try to do my bun like this over the weekend.

I'm very inspired by this thread. The buns you've posted are super cute. I had been struggling with breakage and headaches from creating these perfect, super sleek buns. I'm going to challenge myself to bun better :grin: loose, messy buns for a month so that I can measure my growth from now until then. Thanks ladies!

Does anyone use Grease to do their bun (grease and water) I have heard good and bad things about grease. I am a bit confused about it.

Ive heard you can use a butter like shea instead and just tie the hair dry.....ive tried it but it only really works for me if my hair is completly dry after I take the scarf off

Okay I just had a little fun experimenting with buns after the inspiration of this thread. Here is my creation. Pretty excited about it too. My hair is tucked and I pinned in hair gently on top of my loose pony.

image-3410788192.jpg

Okay I just had a little fun experimenting with buns after the inspiration of this thread. Here is my creation. Pretty excited about it too. My hair is tucked and I pinned in hair gently on top of my loose pony.

Tuck the other two pieces away as well, that is all besides that great job, pretty bun

If you are concerned about gel breaking your hair, dilute it by applying with wet hands and/or mix in a little oil, then tie down your edges with a scarf till dry.

2vifs07.jpg

latest bun and I LOVE it! :reddancer:

Sometimes I use gel, sometimes I don't. I have never been a big fan of gel so I don't know much about it. I have some old let's jam gel from back in the day that I use occasionally on mine and DD's hair. :lol: I may need to look into finding some other kind of gel. I'll usually just put some oil around my perimeter and brush my hair up into a bun. I wish I could do a bun and have it last for a week or at least a work week.

I have used the ORS Edge tamer and it started to break my edges. Now I use the ORS curly pudding, but I don't like it much either. I have also tried aloe vera gel and I hated it. I'm running out of ideas. I'm relaxed BTW.

I use Just For Me Styling Gel For Relaxed/Natural Hair and it works well for me :) It is not drying (it's actually really moisturizing, like jellied water lol!) and has enough hold for my 4b-c hair.

I use Ecostyler to slick my hair back for my buns.

ETA I never use brushes on my hair in its natural state. I smooth with my hands, and use a band to hold it down until it sets.

Last edited:
I use Ecostyler to slick my hair back for my buns.

ETA I never use brushes on my hair in its natural state. I smooth with my hands, and use a band to hold it down until it sets.

When I use Eco Styler, it flakes up my dye and if I touch my hair purple flakes fall off like I have dandruff. Any ideas to prevent this? And it sort of hardens my hair--my hair doesn't feel moisturized. I am texlaxed if that helps

When I use Eco Styler, it flakes up my dye and if I touch my hair purple flakes fall off like I have dandruff. Any ideas to prevent this? And it sort of hardens my hair--my hair doesn't feel moisturized. I am texlaxed if that helps

Add a bit of oil to it and see if that helps, or using a moisturizer underneath.

Back