Help! How do I wear a phoney bun and what gel do I use?

shunemite

Please help. My hair is a chin length bob and I wear it down every day. I want to protect my ends and wear a phoney bun, but I tried that 2 years ago with "Let's Jam" gel and my hair broooooke :wallbash: I lost like 2 inches.

So 2 questions:
Safe gel/ other product to slick hair back and not break it?
Under the clip on bun is a ROUGH net. What can I put on my ends under the bun so they don't rub constantly against the inside of the bun and break it?

Thanks!

BlaqBella

When i found the forum and was lurking for over a year last year (Mar.08') i used cond.'s i can't remember what i started out with(well probably cantu grow strong treatment or somthg) i now almost faithfully keep HE LTR LI for things like this. My hair was barely able to put back in a holder in a lot of areas(i even used bobby pins) and i baggied my ends w/s-curl, or other moistrzers/leave-ins under the bun.And i did this for about 2-3 months and my hair grew just about as fast as it ever has on my journey( Iknow i should do it again) but i love changing my hair and wearing it down.I would tie it down with a scarf/du-rag for 20-30 min. after applying LTR,sealing w/vatika or cantu olive o., and baggying ends.HTH.HHG.

shunemite

When i found the forum and was lurking for over a year last year (Mar.08') i used cond.'s i can't remember what i started out with(well probably cantu grow strong treatment or somthg) i now almost faithfully keep HE LTR LI for things like this. My hair was barely able to put back in a holder in a lot of areas(i even used bobby pins) and i baggied my ends w/s-curl, or other moistrzers/leave-ins under the bun.And i did this for about 2-3 months and my hair grew just about as fast as it ever has on my journey( Iknow i should do it again) but i love changing my hair and wearing it down.I would tie it down with a scarf/du-rag for 20-30 min. after applying LTR,sealing w/vatika or cantu olive o., and baggying ends.HTH.HHG.
Thanks, I wanna try this! What is HE and what's LTR LI?

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
there's a member here who's always wearing phony buns/ponytails, and gets great progress using that method. I believe her name is SelfStyled...you should PM her for some tips!

SmartyPants

Please help. My hair is a chin length bob and I wear it down every day. I want to protect my ends and wear a phoney bun, but I tried that 2 years ago with "Let's Jam" gel and my hair broooooke :wallbash: I lost like 2 inches.

So 2 questions:
Safe gel/ other product to slick hair back and not break it?
Under the clip on bun is a ROUGH net. What can I put on my ends under the bun so they don't rub constantly against the inside of the bun and break it?

Thanks!

I wear Phony buns everyday and plan to do so for a year. I don't use a gel to slick my hair back. I just put some moisturizer in (I use Mizani Rose H20), brush it back, put on a loose no-snag ponytail holder, and stick the bun on.

As for the netting, I use this as an opportunity to baggie. Once I put the ponytail holder on, I put some Mizani Rose H2O on the entire length of the ponytail, Wrap the ponytail in a baggie, and put the bun on top of that. My ends are thanking me for it.

Miss Monae

I use Long Aid Curl Activator Gel for my slick downs. It is not a strong hold and has Glycerin in it, which makes it very moisturizing. I swear by this stuff!

shunemite

Thanks everyone, this is so helpful!
I wear Phony buns everyday and plan to do so for a year. I don't use a gel to slick my hair back. I just put some moisturizer in (I use Mizani Rose H20), brush it back, put on a loose no-snag ponytail holder, and stick the bun on.

As for the netting, I use this as an opportunity to baggie. Once I put the ponytail holder on, I put some Mizani Rose H2O on the entire length of the ponytail, Wrap the ponytail in a baggie, and put the bun on top of that. My ends are thanking me for it.
I see now the mistake I had made. I used the heavy gel with a rubber band. This time I'll use the leave-ins, and a cloth ponytail holder. I'll put a bag over my ends.

BlaqBella

:rolleyes:
Thanks everyone, this is so helpful!

I see now the mistake I had made. I used the heavy gel with a rubber band. This time I'll use the leave-ins, and a cloth ponytail holder. I'll put a bag over my ends.

GOOD! Be sure to moisturize ends extra well.HTH!

Geminigirl

ecotyler gel baby. Best gel Ive used. And if you don't like it it's only a $2 loss. I haven't tried Aloe vera gel but I heard it's good. It just doesn't seem like it would work but I won't know til I try.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
When I was Phony Bunning over the Summer, I was easy on the Gel and a little Heavier on the SERUM!:lick:

WOW! Serum worked wonderfully for me. After Co-Washing & DC, I would apply my Leave-In and a Good Dose of Serum.

It gave me Shine and Hold at the same time. It gave MAD Bling and it had Frizz Control Built in as well.

I only pulled out the Gel when I was deeper into my Stretch. But a Good Leave In and Serum worked Great.:infatuated:

My Gel was either IC Fantasia or Ampro Clear Ice.

4mia

styling mousse is a good alternative to gel also. just get the kind that dosent get hard.i like to use wrapping foam