Hair care help

Divinek

Hello…I’ve been lurking around here for over a month or so trying to gather ideas on how to better maintain my hair. My type is 4a and my hair is already thick and healthy. My question is does anyone still go to the salons to get there hair done and if so what additional measures do you take at home. (i.e. moisturize, protective styles, etc.) I’m not ready to start doing my own hair but am looking to see if I should be doing anything more or different. For instance, my stylist doesn’t do deep conditioning on a weekly basis, but I’m reading quite-a-few people on here do those… I don’t know, just wondering. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

RZILYNT

I go to the salon for retouches only. I deep condition weekly in addition to moisturizing my hair.

If you want to continue to support your stylist and you love the way she does your hair, you can request a deep conditoner and I am quite sure and she will accomodate you with other services as well but at a price of course :lol: .

My stylist has no problem with me bringing my own products when I go.

But for the sake of time and money, I do my own weekly maintenance. I have become more familiar with my hair and it's needs by doing it myself.

RZ~

Empress Yahudah

Hi Divinek and welcome :) ....I my self dont go to my stylest unless i need a retouch ..but there are alot of ladies that still do ....I would definitely start getting deep conditioners every week ..... U can do things like using a good moiturizer I use ORS olive oil(the one that DOES NOT have mineral oil in the ingrediants) or Cantu shea butter grow strong strengthening treatment...seal ur ends with a carrier oil...I use jamaican black castor oil...of course sleeping in a satan scarf or bonnet....I recently started baggying my whole head at night some ladies just do thier ends...I dont do prtective styles but I do wear my hair up in a pony tail or butter fly clip alot durring the week just cuz I dont want to deal with it sometimes .. If ur hair is already healthy and strong which it looks like then I think U should be fine w/ moisturizing ,sealing ends,sleeping in satin scarf or bonett limiting direct heat,and dont forget getting deep conditions.....HTH:)

Divinek

Thank you ladies for the advice, this is very helpful. There's so much info on here, sometimes it's challenging to discover the right regimen for yourself...especially if you're like me and don't want to do your own hair...lol :)

Thanks again!

janeemat

Your hair looks good and it does look healthy. My grandmother used to say "if it ain't broke don't fix it". Your stylist must be doing something right. You may want to ask for a deep cond wkly or maybe by-wkly. But if your hair does not need it, don't ask for it. I used to go to the salon wkly a few yrs ago any my stylist always gave me wkly deep cond at no charge since I was a regular client. Now I only go for my relaxers which is 12 wks! WooHoo! I leave the relaxer to the pros.

Divinek

:D
janeemat said:
Your hair looks good and it does look healthy. My grandmother used to say "if it ain't broke don't fix it". Your stylist must be doing something right. You may want to ask for a deep cond wkly or maybe by-wkly. But if your hair does not need it, don't ask for it. I used to go to the salon wkly a few yrs ago any my stylist always gave me wkly deep cond at no charge since I was a regular client. Now I only go for my relaxers which is 12 wks! WooHoo! I leave the relaxer to the pros.

I feel you on leaving the relaxers to the pros...I don't even want to wash my own hair let alone relax it. Thanks for the advice Janeemat, I appreciate it.

Divine Inspiration

I stopped going to stylists long ago, but you could definitely do your hair in between visits. I would DEFINITELY request that the hair be deep conditioned.

When I was going to the salon, I would do protective styles in between, and I'd moisturize regularly. I made sure my hair got shampooed and DC'd at least once each week whether it was me or the stylist doing it.

Over time, I just got REALLY tired of the wait, the money, the attitudes, the complaints about stretching, the scorching hot styling tools, the products, the drive...so forth and so on. I feel liberated by not having a stylist, but like a PP mentioned, there's nothing wrong with continuing to go regularly if that's what you want to do & that's what works for you...just be sure he/she follows your instructions.

HHG!
{DI}

Divinek

Divine Inspiration said:
I stopped going to stylists long ago, but you could definitely do your hair in between visits. I would DEFINITELY request that the hair be deep conditioned.

When I was going to the salon, I would do protective styles in between, and I'd moisturize regularly. I made sure my hair got shampooed and DC'd at least once each week whether it was me or the stylist doing it.

Over time, I just got REALLY tired of the wait, the money, the attitudes, the complaints about stretching, the scorching hot styling tools, the products, the drive...so forth and so on. I feel liberated by not having a stylist, but like a PP mentioned, there's nothing wrong with continuing to go regularly if that's what you want to do & that's what works for you...just be sure he/she follows your instructions.

HHG!
{DI}

I too am at the point where I'm tired of going to salons...fortunately I don't have a wait and my stylist is willing to do whatever I request; however, it is taxing on my time as I do go once a week. I tried to do my own hair before and let me tell you it was quite scary. I think I cried when I looked in the mirror...j/k lol

How often should you moisturize your hair..every day, twice a week, etc. Also do you moisturize all of the hair, just the ends, scalp???

Divinek said:
Hello…I’ve been lurking around here for over a month or so trying to gather ideas on how to better maintain my hair. My type is 4a and my hair is already thick and healthy. My question is does anyone still go to the salons to get there hair done and if so what additional measures do you take at home. (i.e. moisturize, protective styles, etc.) I’m not ready to start doing my own hair but am looking to see if I should be doing anything more or different. For instance, my stylist doesn’t do deep conditioning on a weekly basis, but I’m reading quite-a-few people on here do those… I don’t know, just wondering. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Hi and Welcome!

I live in NY so going to the dominican salon is a weekly affair for me. I used to wash and condition at home and then go to the salon, until I found a dominican salon where the shampoo ladies were gentle with my hair and my stylist really did a good job of just blowing out the roots when necessary. But there are sometimes when I need to clarify and do a really deep conditioning treatment or time consuming processes like avocado mayo treatment or henna.

But whatever works for your hair is what you should stick to. If you feel you need some extra time for a deep conditioning treatment, ask your stylist to do it. It looks like she's been doing a pretty good job so far, your hair is gorgeous!

BrooklynSouth

DivineK, I moisturize three times a day minimum. I use Surge products daily x2 and once in a while use MTG. I only go to the salon for touch-ups as I will not relax my own hair again---I just break, dry it out and mess it up. Most times I bun, french roll or wear my Lace Flair Phony pony tails...{no one knows it's phony unless I tell them.} I rarely go for a salon wash/set unless I have something special coming up and want to dazzle my Honey. I do my own shampoos and conditioners every four days....salon styling is not really my desire...health and growth is. I have not had a trim since early 2006- uneven but no one sees my ends but me....no split:p ends either.
I may be wrong statistically but I'm thinking the majority of LHCFers do our own shampoos.

PrettyBrownEyes

Your hair looks great! I was just admiring it over on the Off Topic Board and thinking about sending you a PM :) . In my opinion if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Barbara

Princess
I've been going to a salon most of my life, and I've been with this particular stylist since 1990. He's very good, so there's no need for me to do my own hair.

However, I do oil it, wear it in protective styles, and wear a satin bonnet at bed time and underneath my hats.

CAPlush

I see your stylist is doing an excellent job with your hair. But you are going to want to take some steps to educate yourself on different things in case your stylist moves, the visits change in terms of customer service or wait, or she just loses her mind (that happens occasionally with some otherwise great stylists). At the very least find out what products she is using. Good luck and HHG!!!:)