Hair dryer for afro hair

angenoir

I have been shopping around for a new hairdryer/blow dryer and I stumbled across this one by Toni&Guy
http://www.boots.com/en/Toni-Guy-Afro-Moisture-Lock-Hairdryer_950749/

Has anyone tried it or know anything about it?
Or can anyone give other recommendations of a good powerful, quiet hair dryer?

When I blow dry my hair I usually use a wide tooth comb but I am thinking of buying a hair dryer with a pic attachment. Is this damaging to hair? Yay or nay?

TIA

tocktick

It just looks like your standard ionic dryer, imo. Manufacturers think they can throw in a pik attachment and call it "afro hair dryer". The truth is that it is really like any other dryer and hasn't been specially built just for our hair. I think comb attachments are safe to use if your technique is correct.

I had a Wahl PowerPik but the attachment sucked, if the T&G dryer attaches it's pik in the same way as the Wahl one it probably won't be that great.

Personally, I have this one. I highly recommend it. They don't sell on Amazon any more but there's one on Ebay here. Iirc, the box said it was tourmaline ionic. It's powerful but it's not that quiet.

Last edited:

angenoir

It just looks like your standard ionic dryer, imo. Manufacturers think they can throw in a pik attachment and call it "afro hair dryer". The truth is that it is really like any other dryer and hasn't been specially built just for our hair. I think comb attachments are safe to use if your technique is correct.

I had a Wahl PowerPik but the attachment sucked, if the T&G dryer attaches it's pik in the same way as the Wahl one it probably won't be that great.

Personally, I have this one. I highly recommend it. They don't sell on Amazon any more but there's one on Ebay here. Iirc, the box said it was tourmaline ionic. It's powerful but it's not that quiet.

Thanks so much for your answer.

The one you recommend looks really good. Let me see if I can find it in Europe.

tocktick

You're welcome. You could ask the sellers if they'll ship to Switzerland. Sometimes, they can arrange something. I'm not sure what kind of plug is used in your country though, we use a 3-pin plug.

angenoir

You're welcome. You could ask the sellers if they'll ship to Switzerland. Sometimes, they can arrange something. I'm not sure what kind of plug is used in your country though, we use a 3-pin plug.

The plug should be no problem as I can get an adaptor.

I will be in London this weekend so I will shop around in the shops that sell electronics.

I just wanted to ask you - does the comb attachement move? It look like it can swivel or something.

Last edited:

tocktick

If you mean the comb attachment on my dryer, it does not move. That's what I love about it - the attachment itself locks into place when on the dryer. However, there is a mechanism on the comb part that allows it to move down as I'm going through my hair. I hope that made sense, you may be able to get an idea of how that works from the pic.

As for my old Wahl dryer with the pik attachment, nothing locked it into place. You just put it over the top of the dryer nozzle. That comb used to just randomly fly off :lol:. I got so frustrated with it and it took much longer to blow-out my hair.

eta: It seems they've changed the same. It's on the manufacturer's website over here.

Last edited: