Hair Falling from Damaged Help!!

cdiaz191

Ok my hair is semi curly and I am spanish. I started growing my hair for about 3 years and the past year I haven't cut tips or anything. The past 2 months I have been losing hair in abundance! My regime was shampoo and conditioning my hair once a week and I would only finger comb my hair. My hair has became incredibly dry and brittle. Can my hairloss be because of this all of a sudden and what steps can I take??? I went to a dominican hair salon and they gave me a treatment and blowed out my hair. My hair came out nice but its been 12 days and now the hairloss is back. Please help
This is how much I lost after combing in braids after 4 days
and pretty much after every wash a week

Qualitee

Are you taking any multi vitamins? Garlic supplement? I had a shedding problem too and taking vitamins and garlic supplements help my shedding a lot HTH

Aireen

Are you using products packed with cones? Shampoo, conditioner, leave-in? Sometimes it can cause build-up on the scalp which results in the hair falling out.

^ Never mind, I've been taken to school with my comment. Ignore this advice. :look: :lol:

Last edited:

Solitude

Are you using products packed with cones? Shampoo, conditioner, leave-in? Sometimes it can cause build-up on the scalp which results in the hair falling out.

This doesn't make sense to me...I don't see how build-up on the scalp can make heir fall out from the roots/follicle.

Carisa

Maybe a protein treatment or a moisturizing conditioner could help if its breakage. If it is shedding maybe garlic tablet could be effective or you have a vitamin deficiency and would benefit from a change in diet, increasing water intake or vitamins. Also do you have any medical issues (thyroid disease, diabetes) that could be the culprit? If this continues you may need to see a physician.

ETA: Which type of shampoo and conditioners are you using and do you get relaxers or use hair coloring?

Last edited:
This doesn't make sense to me...I don't see how build-up on the scalp can make heir fall out from the roots/follicle.

It does, trust me.

Taken from here: http://www.hairlossexpert.co.uk/CanHairProductsCauseHairLoss.html

Aside from these two common hair loss culprits, other styling tools such as hair sprays, styling gels and holding crèmes can also cause hair loss. If these products are used too frequently, if they are allowed to build up on the hair strands, or if they are used in excessive amounts they can weigh hair down, dry it out or weaken the strands. When this occurs hair strands can break, split and fall out. The result is premature thinning of the hair or hair loss.

cdiaz191

I think it might be a case of telogen effluvium I have been having hairloss on my temples but sometimes the hair comesback like it fluctuates. Has anyone had this problem??

Solitude

No reason for cattiness.That article that you posted a link to didn't say anything about product build-up causing hair loss. The only product mentioned was hot oil, and the cause of the loss is inflammation from the heat of the treatment and not the product itself.

The reasons listed in the article you cited were the following:
1. illness after surgery
2. hormonal problems
3. post-partum shedding (hormonal)
4. infections
5. diseases such as lupus
6. tight hair styles that pull at the scalp
7. inflammation caused by hot oil treatments and chemicals such as perms

I don't want people receiving mis-information. I like to keep my scalp clean, but many women wash as little as once a month and have great hair growth. In fact, up until the late 20th century, women rarely washed their hair at all, so their was plenty of build up of products, dirt, and dead skin cells, and their hair didn't fall out because of it.

Solitude

Again, I read the full article that you cited above and the article was about hair loss from chemical treatments, such as hair dyes and perms. The damage is caused by the chemicals and their affect on the cells, not damage due to product build-up.

The article goes on to discuss breakage caused by styling product such as gels, creams, etc, that cause the hair strands to dry out and break.This is not hair loss from the hair root/follicle. From the article you cited:

Aside from these two common hair loss culprits, other styling tools such as hair sprays, styling gels and holding crèmes can also cause hair loss. If these products are used too frequently, if they are allowed to build up on the hair strands, or if they are used in excessive amounts they can weigh hair down, dry it out or weaken the strands. When this occurs hair strands can break, split and fall out. The result is premature thinning of the hair or hair loss.

Note, this section discusses the hair strands weakening and breaking. This is not hair loss from the roots/follicles.

My issue was with the statement that product build up on the scalp causes the hair to fall out. That is simply not true. Hair can break and break off for many reasons, including the use of products that dry out the hair, but a dirty scalp will not make your hair fall out from the root.

NicWhite

Maybe a protein treatment or a moisturizing conditioner could help if its breakage. If it is shedding maybe garlic tablet could be effective or you have a vitamin deficiency and would benefit from a change in diet, increasing water intake or vitamins. Also do you have any medical issues (thyroid disease, diabetes) that could be the culprit? If this continues you may need to see a physician.

ETA: Which type of shampoo and conditioners are you using and do you get relaxers or use hair coloring?

I definitely agree with the bolded. I was going what I thought were all the right things to my hair nad my hair continued to thin and fall out. Finally went to have blood work done a few months ago and found out I had a severe iron deficiency anemia. I started on iron supplements and my hair is doing much better.

Also, some people may be allergic to certain ingredients in their products. I find that if my scalp does not like something I have put on it, it will get very tight. What you put on your scalp, ends up going into your hair follicles and can affect it. Some people are more sensitive than others.

Fhrizzball

Are they all shed hair or is some of them breakage? You may have weakened ends from not dusting so long and perhaps the ingredients in your products aren't agreeing with you anymore. Do you moisturize your hair between washings? If so with what?

g'smommy

I am new so maybe my advice is not the best, but I am Spanish and I don't think it is because you need to moisturize your hair. I do not do that. I think it is the products you use that are not moisturizing. I also think you need to take vitamins if you are not taking them. Another thing, the hair you lost in 4 days is not a lot because you did not comb your hair for 4 days. Every day you are supposed to lose some hair.

I use Nexxus and Aveeno line of products on my hair. Sometimes I use Organic Root Stimulator Oil and leave it on my hair for a short while before I wash it. I try to avoid junk food and take vitamins.

cdiaz191

I litterally do nothing but finger comb my hair during washings :(, which are a week apart. But the shedding had the white bulb on the ends of the hairs. I had a pneumonia thanksgiving that just past so I believe its from Telogen Effluvium. Has anyone experienced this???

Nayna

Unbothered
I am new so maybe my advice is not the best, but I am Spanish and I don't think it is because you need to moisturize your hair. I do not do that. I think it is the products you use that are not moisturizing. I also think you need to take vitamins if you are not taking them. Another thing, the hair you lost in 4 days is not a lot because you did not comb your hair for 4 days. Every day you are supposed to lose some hair.

I use Nexxus and Aveeno line of products on my hair. Sometimes I use Organic Root Stimulator Oil and leave it on my hair for a short while before I wash it. I try to avoid junk food and take vitamins.

Don't those two statements kind of contradict each other? I'm a little confused.

Op if you think it's Telogen Effluvium then you need to see a Dermatologist. Other than that, what products do you use?

Oh and I agree with Solitude. Unless you are allergic to the ingredients I don't get how they would cause hair loss at the root from build up. Unless you are scratching like mad, idk.

Aireen

Oh okay, I retract my statement OP. I accept I may be wrong anyway, I'm not a trained "trichologist". Hope you find what you're looking for, I just wanted to give my input to see if it would help. Good day. :look:

* Will no longer spread my "misinformation". :grin:

Beltrinicurls

I went to the Dominican's in January and I'm recovering from a little heat damage. I will NEVER go to them again. Anywho, I would try the Ahpogee Protein Treatment. I 'm going to try that this week. It's now March and I'm still losing hair but not as much as I was before. Short pieces are falling left and right.

Now I'm on a new Journey to recover from heat damage.