Hair Fanatic: Does anyone have Mr. John's Book?

Mahalialee4

Hair Fanatic: Does anyone have Mr. John\'s Book?

Hair Fanatic I left a message for you that contains some wrapping instructions for Matural Hair on "Wrapping Hair Nightly"...
Mr. John's Techniques
The Techiques:

No Relaxers
Wash hair once a week
Blow-dry with a brush (never let hair dry naturally or braid).
Use oil on the hair not scalp
To gain growth wear hair straight.

I have never read it but if someone has it could you post the contents or techniques to the group. I read about it last year on another site, and the part I found interesting is that he emphasized that when the hair is kept straight it helps to gain growth. He also was emphatic about not braiding. I would really like to read it.To order it would cost me too much money, trust me. Bonjour

hairfanatic

Re: Hair Fanatic: Does anyone have Mr. John\'s Book?

Hi Mahalialee4,

Thanks for the information. I have Mr. John's book and he is against weaving, braids, cornrows, etc. He says that pressure applied at the base of the braid creates thinning, especially in young children. It also creates a follicle problem because of the amount of pressure applied to the hair shaft.

He said that when your hair is at least four inches it's time to change the style to gain length. This is wear he talks about wearing the hair straight and rolling the ends only (not all of the hair, becaue it will break).

I did follow his techniques along with Wanakee's and they work well.

Mahalialee4

Thank you Hair Fanatic: What else does he say re: shampoo, condition, brushing, combing? I want a full confession...(adjusting the spotlight)...okay....shoot! Lol...pul-e-ez. I am verging on the edge of begging you know....I would really like to have a clear understanding on his regime...Bonjour.(sniff)

hairfanatic

Girl...you so crazy! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Okay, I have the book in my hand and let me just go down the line. The book is for people that have natural hair and press hair only. Mr. John doesn't believe in chemicals of any kind including hair color, weaves, braids, etc.

A Black Woman's Dream - Growing Your "Own" Hair Beyond the Shoulders! By Mr. John. $13.95 includes shipping and handling

Mr. John's Hair Clinic
138 W. McNichols Rd.
Detroit, MI 48235
313-345-4555

(Summary of Pages 29-45)

Shampooing

He says that shampoos are applied incorrectly (directly on wet hair) They shouldn't be because they irritate the skin. He says you should apply shampoo to your hand and then in sections over the scalp area of your entire head. The straighter the hair is kept during shampoo, the better the outcome. Rinsing should be done from "front to rear" From the pictures to get this effect would be better to wash in the shower.

When drying the hair he suggests using a brush and blow dryer oppose to the braid and dry method and drying naturally. The blow drying method with the brush doesn't give heat or force directly on the hair and if you do it properly is causes the least amount damage to the hair.

He said that combs act like razor blades on the hair and prefers the Afro combs. He said that when brushing the hair you should put some oil (not grease on scalp) on the hair and brush. You are not brushing to the scalp just smoothing the surface of the hair.

He has his own shampoos etc.

Mr. John's Peppermint Shampoo. A gel shampoo forumulated to thoroughly clense hair and scalp

Mr. John's 3-In-1 Shampoo. Detangles chemically treated hair. Has moisturizing blend of botanical extracts

Mr. John's Clarifying Shampoo has ph adjusted to remove styling product residue. Natural Papaya and Pineapple fruit enzymes remove protien buildup. Chelating agents remove hard water minerals, chlorine deposits and medication residue from hair.

Mr. Johns Fortress. Combination of proteins and humectants help prevent split ends and restores moisture.

Mr. John's Microplexx. A protein rich reconstruction forumulated for extremely damaged hair. Special nutritive compounds help prevent split ends and adjust proper moisture balance. An intense treatment.

Mr. John's Tri-Protein Deep Treatment. Treats dry hair, damaged and chemically treated hair in 60 seconds. Rice protein with low molecular weight penetrates the hair shaft to rebuild and strenthen damaged hair. Corn Protein with mid-range milecular weight adds body.

Mr. John's Leave-In Detangler.

Mr. John's Thixating Scalp Stimulant.

CUTTING HAIR

He said you shouldn't cut hair wet because of shrinkage and your hair will be uneven. (I can attest to this because I tried it before and that's exactly what happened)

He said to cut your hair while it is dry. Cut your hair in layers (for hair that is from short to nearly shoulder length), then when the hair reaches one length all around you can get a one-length cut

CURLING and STYLING TO GROW LONG HAIR

He uses thermo irons for curling and always talk about curling the ends oppose to the whole hair because breakage occurs in the hair when it is curled and rolled all over. So let your hair hang and roll the very ends.

This is how you should style your hair to grow it long and all one length

HAIR CHECKLIST (pages 55-57)Summary

CORRECTING HAIR PROBLEMS

Use a restructering conditioner on the hair.
Use distilled water to wash and rinse hair

BRUSHING & COMBING

use natural bristle brushes that have soft fibers, cushioned bottom.
Put oil on hair prior to brushing

PRESSING
He uses three types of pressing combs to press the hair.
1. break down (large teeth)
2. pressing (normal teeth)
3. edger (smaller teeth)

Start from one side of the head, work across the top, down the other side, around the back and back to the point you started again.

Press in small sections and the hair should only be in half of the pressing comb.

CUTTING

Cut hair in layers or one length. Always cut stratight and dry.

WHEN TO CHANGE THE STYLE TO GAIN LENGTH

When the hair is 4 to 6 inches long.
Curl the hair in the direction of the style and the ends only, leaving the rest of the hair to hang

sweetcocoa

Hairfanatic thanks for posting this info. I've been wanting to order his book. Now I think I will.

hairfanatic

Thanks Sweetcocoa,

I'm glad I could help. Since I was doing a summary, if there is anything specific you want to know, I would be happy to tell you until you get your book. Oh, he also has before and after pictures in the book.

sassygirl125

Professional PJ

Thanks so much for taking the time to post the summary. I might have to get this one.

rayne

Sorry for butting in, but this quote sparked my interest: </font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
When drying the hair he suggests using a brush and blow dryer oppose to the braid and dry method and drying naturally. The blow drying method with the brush doesn't give heat or force directly on the hair and if you do it properly is causes the least amount damage to the hair.

[/ QUOTE ]
Does he say why that is? I can't understand how blowdrying the hair can be less damaging that air drying. Am I missing something? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

hairfanatic

Hi Rayne,

You are not butting in at all.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Does he say why that is? I can't understand how blowdrying the hair can be less damaging that air drying. Am I missing something?

[/ QUOTE ]
Since I was just giving a summary, let me go in more detail to help you.

He says that when hair dries naturally the hair will not dry in a straight pattern but will wave and shrink. When it does this it becomes entangled in knots depending on the hair's texture. It also makes pressing more difficult. Because the hair dries naturally, he says it's almost impossible to groom the hair without pulling out the hair shaft from the scalp.

With the braid and dry method, he says by doing this the hair never dries evenly because the exterior of the braid always dries before the interior. If you use a blow dryer, the exterior overheats and becomes brittle and often breaks, the interior will still be moist. When you unbraid the hair to dry it, the hair will crawl or wave tighter and tangle at the ends.

He is saying there is a proper way to prevent this by using the blowdryer and the brush and even with the brush if it is not done right, with the right kind of brush it can damage the hair.

THE CORRECT TECHNIQUE

The dryer must blow hot air with enough force to straighten all the hair. Hair must be stroked with the right kind of brush and the strokes must be held at the end of the hair shaft until the entire layer of hair is dry. If this is properly done the hair will be soft, not brittle. There is a picture in the book that is showing what he is talking about.

Rayne,

I personally tried this method and it was very awkward for me with a bristle brush. I was better with a paddle brush but I'm sure it didn't get a straight as a bristle would have.

I personally blow dry my hair with a comb attachment and on cold. It works well with no breakage. The blow dryer I use to do this is the Remington Pro Air 1875 Watt Blowdryer I got from Walmart for $15.95

If you have any more questions, I'm here. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Mahalialee4

You have been so gracious and kind to do this and I appreciate the time and effort that went into replying to my post. The only questions I have is, from the pictures, were any of the ladies achieving bra strap length and waistlength and beyong with his methods? And how often did he recommend shampoos for natural hair? Thank you again Hair Fanatic...I am a little bit of a hair fanatic myself (smile) Bonjour.

tippy75

I live in Michigan and I used to go to Mr. John's (for about a year). He recommends that naturals wash and press their hair every week. He said that you don't want to walk around with a lot of new growth because this is impeding the growth of your hair because the hair is coming in "curly" and curling back onto itself. He gave me the analogy of how men get ingrown hairs on their face because the hair grows and curls back into the skin. Once it has curled back into the skin it no longer grows. I actually witnessed women go from 2 inch damaged hair to shoulder lenght and longer in the one year I was there. My hair grew tremendously also, but i didn't get the results the some others did probably because I wasn't willing to go every week and pay $55 a pop each time. For the first 6 weeks I did go every week because my hair was so damaged and believe it or not that is when I got the most hair growth so i am beginning to think that he was really on to something. Hair maintenance in between times was really easy too. He just said to put a dime size amount of nexxus botanic oil in the top of hair and a quarter size amount on the ends and light brush the oil into the top layer only. Then just roll the ends of the hair. He always stressed protecting the ends of the hair. He said to only wear the hair up in a scrunchie twice a week at the most. But there were women there that had hair down to their butt. Really beautiful to see!

rayne

Thanks hairfanatic, that does help to clear things up and it make sense. Does he say how he feels about air drying using the ponytail or wrap method?

hairfanatic

Hi Tippy,

That is cool that you got a chance to see first hand him in action. I have a question. Do you know what Mr. John was using before he put together his own products?

hairfanatic

Hi Mahalialee4,

On the front cover of his book the ladies hair are very long. I am sure by now that some of them have waist length hair. In the inside of the book the before and after pictures are of some women's hair that were badly damaged with ate out hairlines, etc. You can see how nicely their hair grew back. He recommends shampooing once a week.

hairfanatic

Hi Rayne,

I'm taking it that since he does agre with letting the hair dry naturally, it could include the ponytail and wrap method, but he really doesn't meantion those two in the book.

Valerie

Dear HairFanatic
The book sounds very interesting, and I would get it, because it is always good to get new ideas, personally I found that rinsing my hair nearly everyday and allowing my hair to air dry has grown it tremendously, my hair is usually in twists or bumps. In the summer, I wash my hair twice a week, because I swim twice a week, <font color="purple"> </font color> however in the winter I wash my hair once a week, but I rinse nearly every day. I find it difficult to blow dry my own hair. I have stopped blow drying my hair since July and my hair at the time was stretched to the middle of my earlobes, since the rinsing my hair has grown to the bottom of my chin.

kymelle

hairfanatic, Sorry don't mean to butt in. But I'm trippin here. I had no idea that Mr. John had a book!! Years ago, me and my mom used to frequent his hair clinic. My mom was natural, then all of a sudden decided that she wanted a perm (Hudson's), which resulted in not just breakage- but a bald spot. She went to John, he grew it out in a couple of months. He has hundreds &amp; hundreds of before/after results of his clients, spectacular results!! He charges by the length of hair, and is very strict!! If you refuse to follow his routine (he could always tell if you didn't) he would not continue service with you! I wish that I had kept up my treatments with him /images/graemlins/frown.gif . No joke, he is 3 minutes from my house. I'm going to get that book /images/graemlins/grin.gif

kymelle

I'm so rude. Hi everyone!! In my very 1st post, I neglected to intro. myself. I'm kinda new to the board. Been visiting for a while, but had technical difficulties registering. Thanks to Beverly's help, I'm here!! It's nice to finally be able to participate, instead of just being a spectator /images/graemlins/grin.gif

sweetcocoa

Is the address where you order his book,the same place you can get his products ?

hairfanatic

Hi Valerie,

That's wonderful how the rinsing is working for your hair and that's some good growth that you have had since rinsing. It worked for me also. The book is definately worth having. You will be able to read it in one day. He makes growing the hair seem very easy to do and it works. I have definately benefited from his knowledge and use his book as a reference in my hair library.

hairfanatic

Hi Kymelle,

Girl you are not butting in at all! We need you here /images/graemlins/grin.gif. What did he use on your hair when he did it? I am asking because I believe his products are fairly new and I was curious what he used before that. I know about the Dudley's Cream Press (have it, use it) and Nexxus Botanical Oil (have it, use it too), but was curious about the shampoo and conditioner he used before he made his own. Girl, if you can't go to see him again (I heard he was expensive, go and get the book, it has his techniques in it and is very encouraging. I wish he had a lot more pictures in the book...I love before and after pictures. /images/graemlins/grin.gif I will say this, that getting the book will help you learn how to do your grow your own hair with practice, I can finally do my own hair where it looks like I have a relaxer. http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/hairfanatic0072000/lst?.dir=/My+Photos&amp;.view=t

hairfanatic

Hi Sweetcocoa,

Yes, this is the number where you can order everything. I think I may want to try his products also since they are specifically for the needs of pressing the hair. I am starting to become a product junkie...but it doesn't hurt to experiment. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

hairfanatic

Hi Sassygirl125,

You are welcome. This is a good book. It's very simple to read and to the point. You can read it in one day. I think I have read it three times already! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

hairfanatic

Hi Rayne,

Correction on this post </font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
I'm taking it that since he does agre with letting the hair dry naturally

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm taking it that since he doesn't agree with letting the hair dry naturally, it could include the ponytail and wrap method, but he really doesn't meantion those two in the book.

CICI24

I have Mr. Johns book too, I got it late spring early summer I tried it but my hair reverted It really didn't get that straight so I decided to put off doing his pressing routine until the winter I'm going to start pressing(flatironing) in January. I'll try it for 3 months and see what happens. I think it will work for me

kymelle

hairfanatic, It was over 7 years ago when I was going to Mr. John's. But I do remember him using a surprisingly thick white cream on my hair (I had a press and curl then).
Another thing I remember that was really funny, is that he had one or two basic styles for everybody (didn't matter how long or short the hair), a bob style (then called a "mushroom"), everyone would leave the clinic looking alike. He would also use this hugh comb-like contraption, that had electricity running though it ( you could actually see the electricity sparking) to stimulate the scalp.
Even though the place would be packed, you would never be in there more than an hour. Only he or his son, would curl your hair and give you feedback. I think I'm going to call for a consultation, see what he says. I'm a little scared, cause I know he's going to "give it to me" regarding my hair (much, much, much shorter). I do remember that the more you go, the cheaper it is (he gave discounts for frequent visits).

Also, that address is where is clinic is located.

Let you know what he says, if I can get an appt., Man, I didn't know Mr. John went big-time with a book and all!! I had almost swollowed my gum, when I saw that address and made a connection, it is a small world indeed. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

fancypants007

Hairfanatic, is the book really worth buying. I have Cathy Howse's book and it was OK. I really would like to learn how to press my hair. You explained the process of blowdrying; do you hold the hairdryer in one hand and stroke the hair with the boar bristle brush holding it at the end of hairshaft, blowdry that section and then repeat. I am no good with blowdrying either. My hair is 4a/b but very delicate. I know what he's referring to when the hair drys natural by hairbraiding. My hair does not seem to like it. I'm soon going to put my hair in braids and I've decided to braid back to back for at least 6-8 months. I have three weeks before I put the braids in my hair, and I want to use this time to deep condition it in preparation for the braids. I want to try pressing my hair at least once before I get braids. I don't understand how you explain that he starts at one point on the hair across top down one side and ending at that same point where he started. That's confusing to me. Please explain.

pos1

I've been busy searching for hair info since I joined this board and came across this post. Has anyone read Mr. John's book and used the methods successfully? If so, does he still sell it? I'm relaxed now but I really want to stop getting a perm. The other alternative for the straight look is to press my hair.

BTW, I love this board. I wish I knew about this before coming to Germany and having my shoulder length hair break off (I had to cut it a little past my ear because it got so damaged.

sassygirl125

Professional PJ

I have the book, but I haven't really tried any of his tips. I think his tips are for naturals trying to maintain a pressed style for a week or more. His advice reminds me of my grandmother when she talked about "training the hair".

Honeycomb19 used to be a client. You should PM her. You may want to check out this thread, too--
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/s...rt=all&amp;vc=1

nbcgurl22

I just don't understand why he wouldn't want you to let your hair dry in it's natural texture??? Instead to encourage growth he wants you to put stress on the hair by pressing it and blowdrying it??? Does't make since to me.